Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamperproof GTR?

Interesting read:
    Japanese GT-Rs are speed-limited for the street: As has been widely reported, unless it's driven on a preapproved racetrack, a stock Japanese-spec GT-R is limited to 180 kph (111.8 mph) with the factory settings. GPS sensors in the navigation system track vehicle position and communicate with the ECU. Try to exceed 180 kph, and a warning light will appear on the instrument panel. Only shutting the car off and restarting it will get the light to disappear.

But can be run all-out at the track: Running a GT-R at the track requires scrolling through menus in the on-board computer and selecting the racetrack option that bypasses the speed limiter. Only then can the car be run to its full potential.

Though it'll cost you: Once the track day is over, owners who have run their GT-Rs over the speed limit are required to take them to a preapproved Nissan High Performance Center for a safety check. Failure to perform this $1000 service will void the factory warranty.

As for the wheel and tire rumor: That the factory wheels cannot be removed without sending an error code to the ECU, MINE'S has proven this myth wrong. It's been able to take off wheels, rotate them, and even change to higher-performance, non-run-flat tires. It did have to take the wheels to the Nissan dealership to get the job done at great expense; MINE'S ended up paying about $230 per wheel in labor.

Putting aftermarket rims on a GT-R is a different story: Because of a sensor located near the valve stem in each wheel, it isn't possible for the car to run on aftermarket rims without throwing an error code. All blinged-out GT-Rs at Auto Salon got there on stockers and only then were the shoes changed.

Some mild mods are possible: MINE'S has modified the exhaust system and a replacement air-filter element, both of which have reportedly made substantial extra power. It's also upgraded the brake rotors and switched to GT-R's suspension system to a coil-over system with no ECU problems.

But not all: MINE'S has tried replacing the factory air box and intake system with a high-flow cone-style system, but found its car will not run right. Raising the boost pressure on the twin turbos, a common way to increase power, also triggered errors in the extremely sensitive ECU.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...good_news.html

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

brutal, why can't manufacturers make mod friendly cars. most people who buy new cars to mod are well aware of the effects on their warrenty. lif could be so much easier.

Comment

I can picture Jeremy Clarkson having a field-day with this... like when he drove the Ford GT. hahah
      Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Luckily the North American version won't be speed limited but there will still be restrictions on the car by the ecu.

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

just give it time and someone will crack the ecu and then all the fun can begin.
          ~Soup!GTR~
          www.dodo-logic.ca

Comment

Mines is working on the ECU. Saw it on their website.
            1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
            www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

Those Nissan kill-joys
              FINAL CLEARANCE! EVERYTHING MUST GO NOW!

The Best Brands. The Best Builds. The Best Service. The Best Prices.
              - 1.888.ZED.TUNE

Comment

DAAAYUUUUUMM!!

in stock form that thing probably flies like a bat outta hell, but crack the ECU and wham! you have a flagship rocket!

Mines has always been eyecandy to me! love em!
                .......GTRCANADA.COM
                Canada's premier Skyline enthusiast club

Comment

i think this is pretty stupid, when the car was first in its proto stages nissan swore they were going to make the car mod friendly. now it seems they are trying to take it out of the hand of tuners by putting all these restrictions on the car.

i think the new gt-r is amazing but the r32-r34 have racing heritage, the new gt-r they race doesn't even use the same motor as the production car, and didn't follow all the strict guidelines of the group A racing to build the car.

hopefully once more tuners get their hands on the car the wheels will start turning.

on another note has anyone tried using a stand alone ecu or dose the navigation and screen all powered by the same unit?

Comment

Just so everyone knows, the speedlimiter is defeatable in the car. I know for a fact as I drove one without te speedlimiter and not on a track.
                    Mark
                    (OO\______/OO)

Comment

BTW trhe Ecu has been cracked already. I beleive mines and Greddy have done it.

Comment

i read that a u.s. company cracked it aswell - cobb i think

Comment

It's starting...

Cobb Tuning ran 11.39@124.08

Comment

Shiro Nakamura said the reason it was designed like that is because he believed when he designed it that the stock horsepower and setup was the very best for that car.

I've been in one, its not insane. 400whp in a 3800 lb car, vs many r32's on this site making 500+whp in a 3300 lb car.

Sean

Comment

Working...
                            X