Man, the crap I have to go through just to speak to Toyota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, the crap I have to go through just to speak to Toyota

I just finished a sketch of a small Toyota, and it would be a replacement to the Corolla.

Being the nice man I am, I could see that it was a somewhat stylish sketch, and decided to contact Toyota Motors Co. NA to request the email of a design staff leader, or someone of similar stature in the company.

This is my original Email:

I have a design I'd like to have at least looked over. I'm 20 years old, a student from Ottawa Ontario Canada, and even if it was just a quick glance, I'd appreciate if someone could take a look, as part of the team. It's a design for a new Corolla.

My email is private, and shared with no-one else.

If someone could forward me a design team email, of anyone, it would be so greatly appreciated.

Please respond at your convenience,

Regards,

Steve Neill.

--------------------

NOW... I'd say that's a relatively straightforward and polite email asking for a leaders contact.

I get this in response:

Dear Mr. Neill,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A, Inc.

We wish to express our appreciation for your interest in our products and would like to thank you for taking the time to email us.

We apologize, we do not accept suggestions for design proposals, new products, marketing or advertising ideas, and have not retained yours.

It is against the policy of TMS to accept unsolicited ideas from persons outside of the Toyota organization. The possibility of a conflict between developments from within the Toyota organizations and ideas submitted by interested persons, such as yourself, make this policy necessary. In accordance with this long-standing policy, we apologize that we are unable to accept your idea.

Thank you again for thinking of Toyota,

Tiffany Griswold
    Toyota Customer Experience

----------------------

WTF? My idea? You don't know jack squat what my idea is. My idea could help your company 20 fold, and you're going to decline me just because you're scared I'm going to breach confidentiality?

So I sent this email out to them:

That may be so, however, may I request the email/contact of a chairman/director of some sorts?

That's all I ask, and nothing more. I'd simply like to discuss some plausible marketing/target audience ideas, in summary, with someone with some authority.

Thank you,

Steve Neill.

----------------------------

So tell me ladies and gents, what's your thought on this? If anyone knows someone within Toyota Motor Co. with some sort of power, please PM me. This racks my nerves, because I KNOW my idea could benefit this plain jane company.

ARGH.
    ├┼┼╕
    246R 見渡せば 花も紅葉も なかりけり 浦のとまやの 秋の夕ぐれ

I think it would be easier to contact someone from design instead of going through the company first.

Chief designer's name is Wahei Hirai. Something to start your search with. Maybe find a Japanese phone book or something? LoL.
    03 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT "Valerie"

Comment

My suggestion, if you can find their Human Resources department, then go through that. Request an informational discussion with someone from the design team.

Their response is the right thing to do in my mind. Like you said, they don't know what your idea is, anyone could send an email to Toyota and say they have a great idea. If they were to look at your idea, then there's the possibility in the future where you may sue them for something they design.

Human resource is the right way to go in my mind.

Comment

It seems pretty straight forward
        they have designers
        sure they could accept your sketch. But then they have no idea what kind of long drawn out conflicts might come, if, in some way shape or form, their car new might look similar to your sketch then you could cause all sorts of legal fury.
        To them (imo) it would be better off to not accept your proposal and let their pro's handle the situation
        Im sure your sketch is just a friendly salutation, but they of course pay ppl big bucks to prevent conflict for the company.
        Its just somebody doing their job.
        Can we see the sketch? :d
        Originally posted by Oakville
        that, is what us oakvillians like to call an 'instabone'

Comment

Originally posted by doublejceballos View Post
          It seems pretty straight forward
          they have designers
          sure they could accept your sketch. But then they have no idea what kind of long drawn out conflicts might come, if, in some way shape or form, their car new might look similar to your sketch then you could cause all sorts of legal fury.
          To them (imo) it would be better off to not accept your proposal and let their pro's handle the situation
          Im sure your sketch is just a friendly salutation, but they of course pay ppl big bucks to prevent conflict for the company.
          Its just somebody doing their job.
          Can we see the sketch? :d
          No, I won't show the sketch until I know for sure this crap can be finalized with them. It's a nice sketch though, and a really good design for the Corolla, or at least I think.
          ├┼┼╕

Comment

Why would they want your sketch when they pay people good money to design internaly..

you would want royaly, or a lump sum.. or something like that..

and its not like your going to take you design a build a better car with it (Unless you a car manufacture) so really they don't loose anything by kicking your rear end out the door...

my thoughts on the matter anyways.
            Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

post sketch or bust

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly View Post
                post sketch or bust
                No way old man! lol j/k Mcfly!

No, Dah_Hunter, I don't agree with you. Have you seen Toyota's age demographic? I think they could benefit from someone like me designing for them.
                ├┼┼╕

Comment

Im not saying they couldnt benefit from you..

but saying why would they take that risk..

Hell theres a million compnays out there that are run by Hippie Era, Baby Boomers..

Its time to move on to be a walmart greeter.. the world is changing.. your stuck in your
                  "When i was your Age, Socks to your Knees, Up hill both ways, Slow in the fast lane, Dam that Rap music" Ways..

anyways.. your trying and i respect that..

but its not going to work till they pass on into the next life, in there adult diapers, and Extra Strong reading glass's.
                  Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

In this matter, I strongly agree with what jon was saying. if they do choose your drawing, and you say dont get paid enough for how much they make off the car, there are a million and one lawsuits that you could file, it would just alieviate a bunch of headaches.
                    Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

It was nice of you to offer a design idea. They politely turned it down and even gave you valid reason.
                      There are many many business reasons for them to have a policy like this, but at the end of the day, it just doesn't matter. You offered, they declined.

End of story.

You could apply for a job with their design team and include the sketch as part of your portfolio.

Nice sketch, btw.

Dan
                      sigpic
                      The Beaumont Connection

Comment

Toyota and Subaru are currently developing a FR sports car that will likely bear the "Corolla" badge. This car will cost around $25k, it can be considered the spiritual successor to the AE86. So Toyota will indeed be injecting some personality into the lineup soon.

Comment

I want another FR Nissan, that is affordable. like the 240. and when talking about the corollas, its all about the AE86. new stuff doesnt do much for me
                          Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

fr..?.?
                            Originally posted by Oakville
                            that, is what us oakvillians like to call an 'instabone'

Comment

FR: front engine, rear drive
                              FF: front engine, front drive
                              MR: mid-engine, rear drive

etc, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X