I need some BMX advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some BMX advice.

last one i had was a mongoose back in like grade 6.

I dont know what ones are good these days. i dont want a cheap china-made bike. I just want it for cruising around the city. I'll prob use it quite a bit and hit up the park every now and then. I dont really need a freestyle but if its a good bike i wouldn't care either way.

here are some I found on craigslist. Looking to spend up to the $150 area and then if I feel like i want to invest more down the road I can upgrade to a better bike then.

Any help is appreciated.

ALLEN PETERSEN
    Number (604) 961-2449
    4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
    RB30`s for sale!

go for either the gt for 150 or the specialized for 200 either are great bike companies i used to be in the bike seen hardcore before i could drive and built my own norco manik dirtjump bike so either one of those two would be a great bike just check them over to make sure nothing is in bad shape
    Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

i wouldnt get any of them other than the hyper i owned one for 6 years and couldnt break it lol but it is stupid heavy!! if your wanting a cheaper bike go with a mirrico velle or Specialized fuse 2 (i own one and havnt been able to kill it yet and i ride alot of skateparks and trailes) but dont buy them used. i always try to buy them new because parts are stronger and there is a warranty on the parts if anything breaks. thats just my 2 cents.
      if you want anymore advise PM me
      1990 Mazda Manyata (Turbo Miata 6psi 175whp 172wtq)
      1991 Nissan Skyline GTR (13.5psi estimate of 320whp)

Comment

hyper is **** my friend had one broke it within the first month its just a sport chek/walmart bike the gt for 150 is a decent price
        Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

i dont have any BMX advice as i broke everyone i ever had and replacement of the bikes was either to expensive or to risky to i turned to skate boarding for youthful transportation(im now 30)...

what advice i do have is in regards to bmx'ers and mountbikers proper and respectful use of skate parks...

first and foremost the one thing you have to remember BEFORE you ride into a skate park is to check your wheels for dirt or pebbles... dirt and pebbles do not mix with skate boarding. that little pebble stuck in your tire tread can cause a skater to wipe out since the wheels on a skate board will not roll over it, they will bite in and bail...

second WHEN/if you launch out of the skate park into the dirt clean your tires off again... this can not be stressed enough... i personally have bailed because of this, and my pay back wasnt very nice... ive thrown my board at bikers, put tacks down in the dirt, body checked bikers as they ride by etc etc etc... granted this problem is more with mountain bikers than bmx'ers but both have tires and both can cause the same problems...

3rd pay attention to the 'lines' that people travel in the park and wait for your turn to go, its bad enough when 2 skaters smash into each other, its 100x worse when a biker slams into a skater...

4th and this is more for those who are into freestyle bmxing... when you have pegs and you like to do rail slides those pegs combine with the weight of the bike(dont forget about how your mass increases with speed) hitting the rails puts dents into them which can cause the same problem as pebbles in a park... only now you are either in the air or in the pipe and bailing is gonna hurt that much more... so go easy on the rails and coping, dont do ice picks or peg stands, dont damage the park...

skate parks are designed for skate boards, spacing, materials, travel lines etc etc. so make sure you give those skaters the space and respect they deserve... if you dont chances are one of them is gonna get really pissed off and you could end up with a skate truck in your mouth... ive seen it happen at various different parks across BC... one skater i know is now in jail for paralyzing a mountain biker neck down.... sure the skater was crazy and would attack damn near any one who got in his way, and while what he did was wrong, i can fully understand why he did it...
          How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
          \'03 Dodge SX2.0
          \'90 GTR32

Comment

lol

I BMX'ed a year.

MTB'd 6 yrs.

MTB guys shouldn't go to skate parks because, well it's more fun with a BMX. Only n00bs track in dirt and don't know the proper etiquettes.

As for those craigslist ads, all those are low end entry and you will not have as much fun w/ em.

Check out 3ride.com to see rough pricing on what good entry BMX - mid high end BMX's are. They do make a big difference.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Im checking out the gt and fuse tomorrow.

im not going to be a punk at the park, everything said is common sense. If I were to run in the park Id get the right tire and not bring in rocks and shi*. I used to skate for several years and still do almost daily for transportation so i know all about rocks and dented coaping.

I know the bikes in question are low entry. Price kinda says it all. Im just looking for something to boot around on and i dont like to ride on mtn bikes. I once rode a BMX from magrath ab to waterton and up to several lakes in a weekend. Rippin around on a BMX is just fun and I want to get back into that. Plus, I got a bad-As* park just down the block from me in poco.

Not going to ruin anyone's line at the park. If anything, its people running into my line. I hate going when its busy anyways. Im a night hawk and would prob go when its past everyone's bed time.

Hopefully, one out of those two bikes rides good. With any luck, Ill be riding tomorrow!
              ALLEN PETERSEN
              Number (604) 961-2449
              4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
              RB30`s for sale!

Comment

Originally posted by Shadao View Post
                i dont have any BMX advice as i broke everyone i ever had and replacement of the bikes was either to expensive or to risky to i turned to skate boarding for youthful transportation(im now 30)...

what advice i do have is in regards to bmx'ers and mountbikers proper and respectful use of skate parks...

first and foremost the one thing you have to remember BEFORE you ride into a skate park is to check your wheels for dirt or pebbles... dirt and pebbles do not mix with skate boarding. that little pebble stuck in your tire tread can cause a skater to wipe out since the wheels on a skate board will not roll over it, they will bite in and bail...

second WHEN/if you launch out of the skate park into the dirt clean your tires off again... this can not be stressed enough... i personally have bailed because of this, and my pay back wasnt very nice... ive thrown my board at bikers, put tacks down in the dirt, body checked bikers as they ride by etc etc etc... granted this problem is more with mountain bikers than bmx'ers but both have tires and both can cause the same problems...

3rd pay attention to the 'lines' that people travel in the park and wait for your turn to go, its bad enough when 2 skaters smash into each other, its 100x worse when a biker slams into a skater...

4th and this is more for those who are into freestyle bmxing... when you have pegs and you like to do rail slides those pegs combine with the weight of the bike(dont forget about how your mass increases with speed) hitting the rails puts dents into them which can cause the same problem as pebbles in a park... only now you are either in the air or in the pipe and bailing is gonna hurt that much more... so go easy on the rails and coping, dont do ice picks or peg stands, dont damage the park...

skate parks are designed for skate boards, spacing, materials, travel lines etc etc. so make sure you give those skaters the space and respect they deserve... if you dont chances are one of them is gonna get really pissed off and you could end up with a skate truck in your mouth... ive seen it happen at various different parks across BC... one skater i know is now in jail for paralyzing a mountain biker neck down.... sure the skater was crazy and would attack damn near any one who got in his way, and while what he did was wrong, i can fully understand why he did it...
                haha this post made my day!!! good advice!
                1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

you can never go wrong with a HARO. Try and pick up a used F4

Comment

Working...
                  X