No announcement yet.

48÷2(9+3) = ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only question here is whether the multiplication of the 2 into the (9+3) is part of the B in BEDMAS or the P in PEDMAS. If it's not, 288 is correct both because of BEDMAS and because you start from the left and work your way to the right. If the multiplication of the 2 IS part of the brackets (and some say it is) then the answer is 2. I still say A/B(C+D) -> A/(BC+CD)=2 but it could just as easily be (A/B)C+(A/B)D=288. Still down to whether the 2 is part of the brackets operation as written.
    Last edited by Joker; 04-09-2011, 11:58 AM.
    2015 Audi RS7 Sepang Blue
    2009 Yamaha R1 Raven Black - SOLD
    2005.5 Audi S4 Sprint Blue Pearl - SOLD
    1989 Nissan Skyline GTR - SOLD

Comment

The 2 is NOT part of the brackets. Its simply multiplying the bracket and the steps of dividing and multiplying are done left to right in an equation at the same time.

2(9+3) = 2*(9+3)

so it should be completed as
      48/2 * (12)
      24*(12)

if done correctly

1)Brackets
      2)Exponents
      3)Division and
      Multiplication
      4)Addition and
      Subtraction
      Last edited by Wolfattak; 04-09-2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Manny-u*nit View Post
        everyone sucks, im right.. and the answer is 2... i even asked my mom

^^^LOL
        Bobby Boucher: My Mama says that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.

Comment

What the heck just happened in this thread.
          Originally posted by Oakville
          that, is what us oakvillians like to call an 'instabone'

Comment

Heh... Order of operations? I guess no one does comp sci here... it's 288. You do it from left to right, Multiplication/Division are on the same order of importance. You learn that pretty quick when you have to program complex equations.

Comment

lol this is a funny thread...seems like a lot of ppl still dont understand math! The answer is 288...phone a university or college and talk to a math professor....he will explain it to you
              gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

the people who are getting 2 are the people that are doing this:

48÷2(9+3)
                = 48÷2(12)
                = 48÷24
                = 2

The people who are getting 288 are doing this:

48÷2(9+3)
                = 48÷2(12)
                = 24(12)
                = 288

The people getting 2 are making the mistake of doing the multiplication before the division, which is incorrect because the multiplication occurs AFTER the division; you're supposed to do the division first.

I'm 90% sure if it was written 48÷2*(9+3) instead of 48÷2(9+3), more people would get 288. People are just letting their rusty BEDMAS confuse them because for some reason their brain is saying "DO 2 x 12 FIRST BECAUSE IT'S TOUCHING A BRACKET!!!" No. It's touching a bracket, which means it's simply multiplication.

Also, I've noticed people doing this:

2(9+3)

This is incorrectly displaying division; when it is written like this, it is another way of writing this:

48/[2(9+3)]

This way WILL get your 2, but it is not the question, so you're just making a mistake right off the bat.

I hope that clears up the confusion.

Comment

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire term and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2x9+2x3). Let me repeat: The 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it.

See: http://www.math.unt.edu/mathlab/emat...of_multipl.htm

So this can be rewritten as:

48 ÷ (2x9 + 2x3)

Which leaves

48 ÷ 24 = 2

Answer = 2...period.

Most calculators do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a big difference between 48 ÷ 2 x (9+3) and 48 ÷ 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 ÷ 2 x 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 ÷ (2x9+2x3). I have two textbooks beside me on the shelf which support this. I teach math for a living.
                  \"Keep cool and you command everybody.\"

Comment

Originally posted by our_kid View Post
                    The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire term and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2x9+2x3). Let me repeat: The 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it.

See: http://www.math.unt.edu/mathlab/emat...of_multipl.htm

So this can be rewritten as:

48 ÷ (2x9 + 2x3)

Which leaves

48 ÷ 24 = 2

Answer = 2...period.

Most calculators do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a big difference between 48 ÷ 2 x (9+3) and 48 ÷ 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 ÷ 2 x 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 ÷ (2x9+2x3). I have two textbooks beside me on the shelf which support this. I teach math for a living.

lmao I can't believe you ripped this right off of yahoo answers.

it says right in that link that "it makes no difference whether you add two or more terms together first, and then multiply the results by a factor, or whether you multiply each term alone by the factor first, and then add up the results."

THE WHOLE EQUATION IS A SINGLE TERM. Terms are separated by addition or subtraction... this is still one term because the would-be "entire term" that "you" speak of is actually separated by a division sign.

You wanna use distributive property? ok, sure.

48÷2(9+3)
                    =24(9+3)
                    =(24x9)+(24x3)
                    =216+72
                    =288

Again, THIS EQUATION ONLY HAS ONE TERM AND BEDMAS STILL APPLIES WHETHER YOU WANT TO USE DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY OR NOT. Like the quote above says taken from the link "you" gave us, IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THE SAME ANSWER WILL COME UP.

The only reason distributive property exists is to handle UNKNOWNS in the equation, also quoted in that link:

"This is kinda cool, but you might wonder what possible use it might be. I mean, really, why wouldn't you ALWAYS add the terms together first, and avoid all that yukky multiplication? Well, the answer is: It comes in very useful when you have terms that cannot be added together first, because they are not like terms."

math teacher that plagiarizes wrong answers...? This is like grade 11 all over again where I had to teach the class half of the time because the teacher didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

Comment

for thous of you that got 2 just google it the answer is 288.
                      1991 skyline GTR
                      1969 corvette
                      1989 cavalier Z24
                      1991 skyline GTR
                      1985 VW scirocco

Comment

or we could all meet half way and call it 143 288-2= 286/2=143

i looked online seems alot of the time its a 50/50 split between 2 and 288
                        Last edited by anthony; 04-11-2011, 11:13 PM.
                        understeer -is when you go off the road and see the tree that kills you
                        oversteer-is when you go off the road backwards and dont see the tree that kills you

Comment

Originally posted by anthony View Post
                          or we could all meet half way and call it 143 288-2= 286/2=143

i looked online seems alot of the time its a 50/50 split between 2 and 288

Comment

Originally posted by raijin-xiii View Post

lmao I can't believe you ripped this right off of yahoo answers.
                            I teach math for a living.
                            ... And plagiarizes part time.
                            Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
                            www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
                            Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
                            Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonmxmarc View Post
                              ... And plagiarizes part time.
                              yeah we should show this to his school board
                              sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

Originally posted by RHDskyline View Post
                                i Love how people on this forum are calling other people down because of a FRICKIN math question. Did it occur to you that some people here chose a line of work that doesn't include math, or if it does, very simple math.

Like think of the average job. When do you need to do questions like the one the OP asked. If you think about it. the Majority of jobs that people have. It uses simple math. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division.

Of course there are a lot of jobs out there that require more. Like fractions, decimals, exponents, angles, circumference.

BUT THE MAJORITY DON'T

Congratulations if you figured the answer out. Get your mom to give you a pat on the back. Cause that's all you deserve.

If you didn't figure it out. Don't sweat it. Its not that big of deal.

The nerve of the people on this forum. Calling people down cause they didn't answer a question correctly.

Take a second...or two. And grow up
                                Let me guess... You didn't get either of the answers? You whine like a feminist.

EDIT: My additional comments that were once here went a little far. I'll be nice for once.
                                Last edited by Snow; 04-12-2011, 12:21 AM.
                                DISCLAIMER: If any of the above comments in this post hurt your feelings you are likely taking me too seriously; I'm probably just busting your balls. If you're unsure, feel free to PM me and we can discuss the matter privately, as to not pull the thread OT.

Comment

Working...
                                X