Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving from Hamilton Ontario to Abbotsford BC... Anything to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from Hamilton Ontario to Abbotsford BC... Anything to know?

As the title states, I might be moving to Abbotsford BC in September to work at the Abbotsford Internation Airport... Was just looking for advice from any of the local Skyline owners... Anything to know when driving in Abbotsford with a RHD vehicle / Ontario License plates... Anything the police are strict about (Loud exhausts etc) .. Also what tuning shops / mechanics are good to deal with etc... Also any other advice you have for lowering living costs would be greatly appreciated... Im going to be in Abbotsford for at least 8 Months if I am approved for the job (Fingers crossed).. Still looking for residence close to the airport so any advice related to living in BC will be appreciated!

Thanks folks, hopefully ill have the chance to meet a bunch of you BC Skyline enthusiasts soon!
    1991 Nissan Skyline GTR - Build in progress.

congrats for leaving the hammer , so few do i hear.
    Real Skyline owners have lost at least one to a freakish accident (*- ω -) = #dungive'a

Comment

Originally posted by RABBIT View Post
      congrats for leaving the hammer , so few do i hear.
      Thanks. I really have my fingers crossed that everything works out... If so ill have about 2 weeks or so to pick up and move away from the hammer... Excited for some many different reasons!

Comment

Leaving Ontario plates on it?
        Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
          Leaving Ontario plates on it?
          Yeah thats what im planning on doing... Just going to be living there temporarily for an apprenticeship... Could be there for 8 months to possibly 2 and a half years depending... If everything goes well Id consider moving there and changing the plates etc but as of right now I have good insurance rates with State Farm and rather not change anything unless I can find something cheaper which is very unlikely.

Comment

Sell car, buy Winnebago.

Dang! You got shocks, pegs... Lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Comment

you will need to have your address as ontario still

and itll be risky... normally you have to be in your resident province for at least 6 months out of the year for you to be considered a resident still and your insurance still valid... if icbc knows you are working in BC but have everything else in ontario like insurance etc... you could be screwed if anything were to happen to the car...
              Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

Plus ICBC would be cheap as hell compared to what you'd pay in ontario dude lol
                Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

ICBC would be about $1200-$1400 per year for an older DD with a good record in the Lower Mainland. But, you will have to do an OOP and possibly AirCare (some say you can forgo the first year though, we don't have that up here). Make sure Statefarm knows you will be driving your car out of province, they may want you to pay a topup premium.

Jon.
                  Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

BC insurance > Ontario insurance

No real reason for you to keep those crappy Ontario plates and be overpaying on insurance... And as mentioned previously, you'd be making your life harder in every way possible by keeping those plates.

Comment

Im currently paying $1440 a year with statefarm as a 19 year old driver... Don't ask how, it's a very long story haha. So I have a feeling changing everything will be a lot more expensive. I am considering Putting the ownership / insurance in my parents name and becoming a secondary driver although I will have to look into statefarms policy's as for "driving the car to BC for a few months for vacation" ...

Worst case scenario I will just have to sell the skyline and buy a Winnebago like Mattias suggested. haha

Comment

Shouldnt worry about the popo too much bc they are pretty slack especially in butt **** no where like abby. just stay away from richmond and you will be fine. Are you tuned for 94? if not enjoy weekly trips across the border for some cheap gas
                        1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

If you are insured in Ontario and plan on moving back to Ontario at some point, do not cancel your insurance. If you do, you risk not getting any insurance when you return. Ive seen it happen to a few people before.
                          RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
                          http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
                          1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

If your here for more then 30 days i think your required to get ICBC insurance..

also your required to legaly Change your address.. If you get pulled over for anything they will be giving you the 20 questions for sure and might make it a hassle. but cops are for the most part pretty slack out here..

as for insurance. it would be cheaper here no doubt.. $1400 a year is like the Max you would pay for that area.. however you would have to take the car through the BC inspection.. but it only has to happen once.. however if you were to go back to Onterrible you would require to go through there inspections etc again. and its getting to be a pain out there from what i read these days.

best of luck.
                            Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

And Its official! As of the first week of October I will be a resident of Abbotsford, British Columbia. Looking forward to the big move with my amazing girlfriend. Good bye Onterrible, hello "Beautiful British Columbia"! Going for 8 months, but who knows how long ill actually be there for... Im sure I won't want to come back. Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X