Trip to BMW Welt and Museum in Munich, Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip to BMW Welt and Museum in Munich, Germany

As some of you may know, I moved to Germany a few weeks ago as part of a student exchange. With school still not starting for another week, I decided I should take a trip to the BMW Factory and Museum in Munich.

I've uploaded my photos to Flickr, enjoy

These are the cars and exhibits which really caught my attention during the trip. Hope you enjoy the photos.

I also took the factory tour and saw how the BMW 3 series was made but cameras were forbidden so no footage of that. Getting a 2-hour tour around the BMW factory for just 8 euros was something I could not pass up. It really was a great experience and all I can say is holy f*cking ROBOTS! It's absolutely insane to see how versatile and efficient these robots can be from spot welding to paint. I really only saw plant workers in the engine area where they helped to assemble the motors and had a separate section for the hand-built engines like the Rolls Royce Phantom and BMW 760i V12 Twin-Turbo motor.

Two facts that really stood out:
    1. There is a brand new BMW rolling out of that factory every 60 seconds.
    2. There is only about 1kg of waste with each car made.

I highly suggest that anybody going to Munich should really stop in there and enjoy the beauty and history of BMW.
    97' R33 GT-R Vspec
    Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Nice! It has changed a lot since I went there on a student exchange back in '84 (dating myself big time!).

Comment

What kind of exchange program was it and how did you get around the language barrier?
      1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Very nice! How long are you there on exchange? and what school are you at (In Toronto)
        Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Originally posted by Marus92 View Post
          What kind of exchange program was it and how did you get around the language barrier?
          Originally posted by Oakville View Post
          Very nice! How long are you there on exchange? and what school are you at (In Toronto)
          I'm in an International Business program and this school in Reutlingen, Germany (Reutlingen University) is an affiliate of Centennial College back home. Cool thing is that I'm doing a college program but now attending a university for a semester so this will make my transcript look better and also help my application to Ryerson University. This is my last semester at Centennial College so technically I will graduate from my program in May while still in Germany...good note to start my backpacking trip on (one month).
          I'm here from January - June (school is Feb - May but I wanted some time to travel Europe after)

It's actually a really good path because I do 3 years at Centennial, 2 years at Ryerson, and I end up with both a Diploma and Degree...a diploma in Business Admin - International Business and likely a degree in Entrepreneurship from Ryerson.

As for the language barrier, I *bought* a copy of Rosetta Stone and learned the basics for about a month and really picked up on a lot once I got here. It's only been about 2 weeks and I can say I'm able to get through my day to day activities (travelling, shopping, eating, asking for directions) quite well in Deutsch. It's a bit intimidating at first but I can truly say the best way to learn is to be in the place. Rosetta Stone taught me how to say Apple and Rice and a bunch of other stuff I didn't use yet.
          97' R33 GT-R Vspec
          Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

Also a handy bit of info that really swayed me to go...Centennial College gave me a bursary of about $2500 for the trip so my roundtrip flight was paid for and about 1/2 my rent for the duration of my stay.
            I believe lots of schools offer it along with their exchange. I wouldn't have gone otherwise because it can get EXTREMELY pricey..
            97' R33 GT-R Vspec
            Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

Mad props man, enjoy the experience!
              1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Man I went over there to work and hit up The Ring and this really awesome VW place called the "Autostadt" (sp?) near Wolfsburg. So many awesome car places to go in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by beat92240 View Post
                  Man I went over there to work and hit up The Ring and this really awesome VW place called the "Autostadt" (sp?) near Wolfsburg. So many awesome car places to go in Germany.
                  Both of those places are next on the list! Yes I hear Autostadt and the big tower of cars are really amazing things to look at. Very excited for my trip to the Ring, just need to budget correctly lol.
                  97' R33 GT-R Vspec
                  Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

Working...
                  X