Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptopt geek??! Help me choose my next laptop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptopt geek??! Help me choose my next laptop!

I'm totally loss at so many brands, so many prices, so many spec etc. Please help me direct my search into some models:

This is going to be a Desktop replacement, I never play game on my computer, student task, web browsing, HD movies.

I plan to use this computer for at least 3 years.

Budget: Max 1000$ ( the lower, the better)

Ram: 8gb ( unless you tell me its not necessary, I would like minimum 8gb of ram)
    Video card: I'm really looking for a laptop with a dedicated video card for hd movies.
    Processor: I don't think it really matters, not looking at doing any fancy stuff.
    HDD: I rather have 256gb SSD than a 1tb 5400rpm
    screen: beeing a Desktop repl, i would like 15,6 or 17 inch. Ideally 1080p HD
    Body: I would really like it to be aluminium or something that feel solid not plastic cheap 400$-laptop ( but maybe I'm asking too much for less 1000$) and I would really enjoy having backlit keyboard.

Right now, I'm only option are the Dell inspiron Special edition and also the lenovo ideapad Y500.

Please help a newb
    Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Hi cobrAA. I currently own the inspiron 15r. I had my doubts about dell as they tend to load on the bloatware. For your price budget, I'd go with the lowest model of the 15r SE as you don't need the hyper threading from the i7. I have my dedicated video graphics set up to run full 1080p from gchrome to my tv or laptop screen. In my opinion the 15r would be a better choice as its cheaper, and you don't need the gpu power the ienovo think pad has. If you have any other questions let me know
    Originally posted by Robski
    do you really want something a guy with a Civic has?

Comment

Oh I forgot to add that Inspiron had backlit keyboard. It is a very nice white colour that has adjustable brightness. Sadly only the highest end inspiron comes with the 32gb ssd cache. There isn't much for SSD only laptops for low prices, although with the intel smart start up or something of that sort. My inspiron boots up in about 20-30 seconds. My desktop has a crucial SSD and it takes 14 seconds to boot.

Comment

Coming from a die hard PC desktop user, I can't recommend apple laptops enough. For portability and straight functionality of a laptop, apple just has it locked down a little better than PC does. Yes you pay a lot, but in my experience its worth every cent.

I would never own a Mac desktop, but dang their laptops are good. Had mine for 2 years and I use it daily, for DJ'ing, producing and school. Takes an absolute beating and still works ace, something I've not seen from a windows laptop. Not to mention Apple has helped me out multiple times free of charge.

Desktop always build yourself, but for laptops, Mac has won my heart.

Can be had for around $1000 with a little hunting or patience.
        Last edited by hozer; 01-31-2013, 02:55 PM.
        Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
        hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

Originally posted by hozer View Post
          Coming from a die hard PC desktop user, I can't recommend apple laptops enough. For portability and straight functionality of a laptop, apple just has it locked down a little better than PC does. Yes you pay a lot, but in my experience its worth every cent.

I would never own a Mac desktop, but dang their laptops are good. Had mine for 2 years and I use it daily, for DJ'ing, producing and school. Takes an absolute beating and still works ace, something I've not seen from a windows laptop. Not to mention Apple has helped me out multiple times free of charge.

+1. Just bought a new MacBook Pro to replace the pc after pc that kept dying. I love it, super fast, light weight, plus a lot of little features that push it over any of the 6-800$ PC laptops I've had. Only downside, brand new 13" was 1200. You can find last years models in 15 or 17 for around 1000
          Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Originally posted by hozer View Post

Yup I highly recommend Macbook Pro's...I used to find PC's getting slower and slower over time and needing a complete refresh every so often. On top of that you end up getting all these different virus protectors, spyware removers etc. and a lot of them do end up causing more problems, which in turn slow down your computer.

Surprisingly I use my Macbook for the same 3 things hozer; DJ'ing, Producing, and school. Runs Serato like a champ!

Macbook's the way to go imho, the lack of viruses really is the biggest benefit for me. I'm sure somehow a nerd at home will eventually create a virus that can cause harm to mac's but for now there really isn't much out there that puts my macbook at risk to slow down. As quick as the day I bought it and this thing is LOADED with apps
            Last edited by Kunzz; 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM.
            97' R33 GT-R Vspec
            Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

I used to recommend people to www.notebookreview.com but the new site is horrible to navigate and doesn't have the ranking system showing the highest rated by price etc anymore. I say win7 is seeing way less performance loss overtime than previous versions. Win8 is even faster and with less bloat but the interface is meant for touch screen. And you should only use 1 virus scanner, not multiple. Multiple will slow down your system and even leave it unprotected. Norton is very good these days but I use MSE, it's fast, powerful, light weight and free for genuine windows. I don't run a spyware because I use firefox with scripts disabled so most of the web virus stuff is blocked right there.

I work with computers for a living and haven't seen a slowdown with win7 or higher. But then again I don't install that toolbar that was bundled with that app etc.
              Last edited by Special_K; 01-31-2013, 05:11 PM.
              BNR32, AE86, MX73(project for sale), RN130

Comment

It is true if you don't keep upkeep on your windows that it does slow down. With regular virus scan (lots of freeware rather then paying) and defragging windows performs well.

Comment

We have tons of people with macbook here and theres maybe half of the programs needed for my accounting program doesn't run well on mac or not at all. Every session theres ppl complaining '' is there a version fo rmac??'' I can't run this on my mac ?? etc etc.

So I rather stay away from macbook.

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Originally posted by krystalized_jdm View Post
                    Hi cobrAA. I currently own the inspiron 15r. I had my doubts about dell as they tend to load on the bloatware. For your price budget, I'd go with the lowest model of the 15r SE as you don't need the hyper threading from the i7. I have my dedicated video graphics set up to run full 1080p from gchrome to my tv or laptop screen. In my opinion the 15r would be a better choice as its cheaper, and you don't need the gpu power the ienovo think pad has. If you have any other questions let me know

I'M wondering if the extra 100$ for i7 vs i5 and + 16gb SSD is worth it. I also saw I can get a SSD 128gb for around 100$ so I could always swap the HDD later on. I dont need anymore than 150gb so I can deal with 100gb.. I've read a 6 page thread saying for 100$ it was stupid not to go quad core but when I look at it, on win7 with a core2duo and 4gb of rams, I deal well with it. so why wouldn't the i5 do it just fine ? I really do light-task on my computer.

Also wondering if I should get one with win7 or win8. I heard the samething as you. WIN8 is faster but not as user-friendly.

Also, dell has a special right now for the 17r SE for 800$ (300$ instant coupon).
                    Last edited by cobrAA; 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

That will make your Terrible Windows 8 Experiance, into the friendly normal experiance your used to.. and its Free.. so Win.

Really if you wanted to Cheaply get some life out of your current laptop, just get a SSD, and use that in your current machines.. It will be alot better, prolly give you another Year out of the machine you have now. and in a year from now you can go put that $1000 and get an machine that by todays standards is out of this world..

THats my opinion..
                      Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Originally posted by krystalized_jdm View Post
                        Oh I forgot to add that Inspiron had backlit keyboard. It is a very nice white colour that has adjustable brightness. Sadly only the highest end inspiron comes with the 32gb ssd cache. There isn't much for SSD only laptops for low prices, although with the intel smart start up or something of that sort. My inspiron boots up in about 20-30 seconds. My desktop has a crucial SSD and it takes 14 seconds to boot.
                        Thanks man,

I knwo what you mean about the 1080 but I still believe I will more benefit of the bigger screen when analysing business report and/or typing word on split screen. Also, the 17 has a mini sub for better sound system and Dell have a promo till tomorrow.

17SE, i7, 8gb,1tb +32ssd and smart response,1080,blacklit keyboard,french layout for me, and have a better gvidea card than the radeon found on 15se. brand new for 799$ ( ibvoulsy i have to pay tax tho). but it has win8.

I could also buy the same laptop for like 60$ less but it would be refurb from ebay seller and english layout but it will have win7.

So at the end of the day: 15se, radeon card, no subwoofer, probably english layout keyboard, bluray drive, win7, 2.1 ghz , better battery life, 680$

17se, nvidea card, sub, french layout keyboard, no bluray, win8, 2.3ghz, less battery life because bigger i guess 800$
                        Last edited by cobrAA; 02-01-2013, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dah_hunter View Post
                          http://www.classicshell.net/

That will make your Terrible Windows 8 Experiance, into the friendly normal experiance your used to.. and its Free.. so Win.

Really if you wanted to Cheaply get some life out of your current laptop, just get a SSD, and use that in your current machines.. It will be alot better, prolly give you another Year out of the machine you have now. and in a year from now you can go put that $1000 and get an machine that by todays standards is out of this world..

THats my opinion..
                          Thanks for the link!

Actually my laptop is still fine but I will be moving away from home and everytime I had to do ''bigger'' task on my computer I would reach for desktop but when I will be moving ( less than 6 month) I wont be able to have my desktop so I'm seeking for a new laptop.

Also, lets face it, its a little gift to myself.

Comment

I guess I will stop by at best buy tomorrow and look at the difference between a 15.6 inch screen and a 17.3 screen and decide from there which one I prefer.

Comment

Working...
                            X