Sponsored whips...legit or scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsored whips...legit or scam?

Submitted an application to these guys and received a phone call saying that I have been selected for sponsorship.

I talked on the phone for about 10 minutes with a guy named mitch, he said that the "paperwork" and "decal/sticker" fee was 199

He requested I send this money via moneyorder through canadapost.

In all the excitement thinking this was legit, I luckily googled this quickly while on my way to the post office to see that every page says that this business/site or whatever it is, is a scam.

Has anybody else have good luck with these guys?

I decided to not send them the 199.

Edit - He called me back later, asked me why I didn't return call etc etc.
    I said that I am not sending money because of a google search saying that it was a scam. He blew up, got mad and it just turned into a huge rant. He changed his answer on the 199 being for registration/stickers to him getting paid to do "work" for me....

Hmm....
    Last edited by krystalized_jdm; 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM.
    Originally posted by Robski
    do you really want something a guy with a Civic has?

sounds sketchy man...
    Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

Check your pm

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

BTW sponsorship means someone pays you, not the other way around.

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

Agreed, pm responded JZ.

Had my hopes up thinking I'd finally get my te37's

Comment

people dont just hand out sponsorships. i wouldnt expect for anyone to even consider sponsor you unless your car is built to **** and you compete competitively in various events or participate in numerous shows.
            1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

It is a scam. I got the exact same runaround, ranting and raving, even got called names by those a$$holes. Stay away!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
              1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
              -Bruce Lee

Comment

Baked. Thats like looking for handouts to get what you want. Work hard and pay your way then maybe someday someone might offer you and your wicked car a sponsorship!
                Dang! You got shocks, pegs... Lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Comment

Originally posted by MattiasJacobs View Post
                  Baked. Thats like looking for handouts to get what you want. Work hard and pay your way then maybe someday someone might offer you and your wicked car a sponsorship!
                  Wasn't asking, was just getting info. They found out I had an R32 GTR and they begged me to sign up. Even knocked the price down to $150, lol.
                  When I declined, that's when things got nasty.

1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
                  -Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo_ChildR32 View Post
                    Wasn't asking, was just getting info. They found out I had an R32 GTR and they begged me to sign up. Even knocked the price down to $150, lol.
                    When I declined, that's when things got nasty.

What if they send Hookers to your house in return for sign up fees lol
                    Dang! You got shocks, pegs... Lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Comment

LOL I got into with that idiot on the phone. Submitted an application just for shits and giggles and received the call. I was busy at the moment so I said i'd call him back and ended up doing some research. Found a bunch of info on them being a scam and such so when I called him back, I already knew what they were known for.

We talked and talked about different kinds of sponsorships and what they can offer but as soon as I brought up their negative image, he got really angry and started telling me nonsense about it doesn't mean anything and to not trust what I see on the internet. It all started with him wanting some sort of fee (cant remember how much) but if I didn't send the money at that moment or on that day, then the sponsorship would not be valid anymore. Basically putting me into a position where I would have to pay him immediately for a chance of sponsorship followed by big promises.

Anyways, these guys should be shut down for the way they operate and I really would like to meet the scumbag in person that runs this operation. I really can't stand people like this...zero professionalism and complete BS...can't understand that negative feedback comes from people who have bad experiences with them.
                      97' R33 GT-R Vspec
                      Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

waw good thing we have google

Comment

just WOW! they suck!
                          My sky got 99 problems but to find bitches ain't one

Once you go sky; Parts you're going to buy...

Comment

Yeah, once I told him I was weary of it being a scam and I am not interested he got rather pissed. I told him the skepticism is from google, and as it just doesn't make sense.

He repeatedly said I was "screwed" and kept trying to prove it wasn't a scam.

Good to see that other gtrc members have not been scammed.

Comment

99% of the time sponsorship is a one way street- for the vendor.

Businesses will sponsor you if your car is "worth" sponsoring. The catch is, if it were "worth" sponsoring, why on earth would you need them?

I learned a long time ago that sponsorship doesn't mean anything. The best ones, the most legit, are the ones who give you percentage off MSRP- basically giving you WD pricing without the buy in. These companies are helping you out with cost. The worst ones are those that try to make you swap out your parts for theirs because they want to be associated with your car. Virtually all of those require you to pull off a superior part for their junk. Then there are the marginal products- those parts that are so homogenous that any label is better than none, and they will jump off a cliff to get their brand on your car if it is going in a magazine. Then there are industry sponsored cars- owners within the industry who get sponsorship because it's easy to help out the guy who may have parts that can help you out in the future.

None of that matters.

My advice- build your car up the way you want it, the way you can afford to do it, and always assume everything is replaceable (ie. don't put anything on the car that is irreplaceable). It's a car, it can get damaged, it can get stolen, it will eventually break.

Best of luck!
                              Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X