Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone driven a newly landed car from Vancouver back home long distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone driven a newly landed car from Vancouver back home long distance?

Hey all,

Well I got rid of my GT-R a while back and the itch is coming back. I have been in contact with Adam and plan on bringing a car in shortly. One of my dreams has been driving a Skyline from the docks in BC to my home outside of Toronto, so that's what I plan to do.

I just wonder, how hard is this to do, legality wise? Do Ontario trip permits/temp stickers apply to cars that are not legally registered yet? How would one go about insuring the car, in order to get said permit, before the car has even been Etested/saftied? I have an Ontario dealer plate but am not sure on their usage limitations outside the province.

Any insight is greatly appreciated guys, thanks!
    Victory is on the horizon..

Here in Alberta we have an in transit permit that gives you 7 days to drive across Canada with only valid insurance. You only need the vehicle Vin to insure the car, tell them you wil send them the oop and registration paperwork later.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

check out import-era.com for a good group of guys that import lots of different cars from all over Canada..

Also I offer this service:

and you can get Temp permits from ICBC for your Drive back.

as for your ON dealer plate you should look into that..
      Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Thanks Ben. Will I need temp permits for each individual province? Or is there something I can get that can take me from one side to the other.

I'd like to see if there is a way I can affix a temp sticker to an actual ontario plate so I dont get pulled over every 10 seconds for having no plate on the car. Any ontario owners done this drive?

Comment

And sorry I should have clarified, I have an Ontario Service/transport plate, not a dealer plate. I was hoping the service plate would work as its in my family's name but there are a ton of restrictions on it. An actual dealer plate however, would work...too bad I can't grab one of those.

Comment

A ontarion owner just did this drive..

He used the ICBC Permits..

its good from here to there..

ICBC temp Permits are bit numbered Papers. basicly a replacement for a Plate.. so cops can easily see it from there car..

Comment

Awesome, thanks again Ben. Currently waiting for admin to get back on my registration for that forum. Btw, did you delete your facebook?

Comment

did you check your spam folder? the Activation emails for that site go there sometimes.. (Annoying)

I got rid of my facebook 2 years ago buddy..

:-)

In only on Google Plus.. or forums thats it..

everything else direct email contact.
                Last edited by dah_hunter; 07-29-2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Yeah I deleted mine a few years ago as well, but got it back because of friends moving away to school. I'll shoot ya a PM. Looks like impul will have the answers I need. Thank you very much Ben!

and GTRC...I havent been on too often, but it feels good to be back!

now my only problem is rigging a cruise system for a BNR32....

Comment

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
                    now my only problem is rigging a cruise system for a BNR32....
                    Check with frankiman. He's making one.
                    R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

I'm pretty sure that you have to get the temp registration in whatever province the car is located. When I picked up my car in Toronto this spring all I had to do was bring in the old expired registration, proof of insurance and my drivers licence and they gave me a 10 day temp permit, no different thant buying any other used car, mabey there might be a little more involved if the car was never registered in canada.

I wouldn't worry about not having any plates as long as you have the temp registration in the window, I thought I would have problems, I even asked if I could buy plates or at least get a second copy of the temp registration to put in the back window (I thought it was funny they give you one sticker and it has to be placed on the front window). I drove all the way back to newfoundland from ontario and didn't get pulled over, I didn't get temp registration for every province either, just the ontario one. As long as you drive sensible the cops shouldn't bother you.

Comment

Working...
                      X