DIY Garage - Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Garage - Toronto

Hey guys! My friend and I have been going over the idea of making a DIY garage and meet-up lounge in the Toronto area for a while now, and finally we decided it would be time in 2015. We see this as a unique opportunity to bring together the love for all that is motor related in a comfortable and well equipped space within the community. Right now we are in the late planning to early implementation phases and we would love to hear some feedback going forward from the local enthusiast community. Planned opening will be later spring or early summer! Location TBD.

To tell you a bit about the planned shop: we are planning 3 bays for cars and 2 for motorcycles. We also plan to have an enclosed area for detailing with all the fixings. Each bay will be equipped with a full toolkit, air tools, work bench and some sort of media browsing device for your articles/YouTube. Specialized tools will be rented separately. The emphasis will be on bringing together the enthusiast community in an environment that encourages sharing your skills, knowledge, and in the successes of each others' projects.

Visit our website, register with us and give us a little information about yourselves at. This way we can get a better understanding of our potential customers and we’d love to hear some feedback on what you guys think of this, any questions or concerns and where your interest level would lie. Cheers!!

Thanks all,

Grease Monkey Garage Team

"If you build it, they will come." Great concept. One of the perks I have living on base is that I have access to an auto club which is pretty much the same thing to what you're planning here. I worry about moving back to the city and not having that access anymore so this is perfect. It takes a lot of upkeep and a motivated team to keep it running and I wish you good luck.

Btw your site is down.

Comment

I'm curious. I love the idea and have thought about doing the same with my father.
      What legal steps have you taken to protect yourself? In some cases a signed waiver isn't enough.
      As "Louis110" mentioned we (CF members) have access to a similar program and it's been successful for decades.

I wish you the best of luck with this endeavor. It is a blast to have a place to hang out and spin wrenches.
      Last edited by bobbo; 01-20-2015, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo View Post
        I'm curious. I love the idea and have thought about doing the same with my father.
        What legal steps have you taken to protect yourself? In some cases a signed waiver isn't enough.
        As "Louis110" mentioned we (CF members) have access to a similar program and it's been successful for decades.

I wish you the best of luck with this endeavor. It is a blast to have a place to hang out and spin wrenches.
        AW you guys have a proper website?? I wish we were that trendy. I'm a bit jealous of your media blaster and proper tool crib setup.

Comment

Originally posted by louis110 View Post
          "If you build it, they will come." Great concept. One of the perks I have living on base is that I have access to an auto club which is pretty much the same thing to what you're planning here. I worry about moving back to the city and not having that access anymore so this is perfect. It takes a lot of upkeep and a motivated team to keep it running and I wish you good luck.

Btw your site is down.
          The site works well for me, I'm not sure why it was down. Please let me know if it is still not working!

We would love to have you come by when you're back! Cheer and thanks for your service!

Originally posted by bobbo View Post

Hey and thanks for asking! Our legal steps involve waivers and disclaimers, backed by a good insurance policy. Unfortunately no matter of disclaimer or wavier will stop people if they want to use, that is just the reality of a business. If that should happen, insurance should cover our legal fees. This concept again revolves around the idea that you are responsible for the work that you do yourself, and we will work hard to ensure that our equipment is in top notch shape so no accidents arise from any malfunction.

Thank you for your words and hope to see you around! Register on our site if you haven't yet!

Comment

Great idea. We had a place here in Niagara for many years and it was always busy and had probably 20 bays plus a couple of hoists/paint booths. I spent quite a few days/nights/weekends there fixing or modding cars. I painted a car there too and there was always a few 'mechanics' there to help out if you needed an extra pair of hands.

I just called the phone number out of curiosity and they closed down around 3 or 4 years ago.

Fill the void man!
            Pistol packin Monkey drinkin no money bum

Comment

Originally posted by GreaseMonkeyGarage View Post
              The site works well for me, I'm not sure why it was down. Please let me know if it is still not working!
              Oh then it's just mobile devices the site doesn't work on.

Comment

Originally posted by louis110 View Post
                Oh then it's just mobile devices the site doesn't work on.
                Everything should work for mobile now too!

Comment

Originally posted by AL91GTR View Post
                  Great idea. We had a place here in Niagara for many years and it was always busy and had probably 20 bays plus a couple of hoists/paint booths. I spent quite a few days/nights/weekends there fixing or modding cars. I painted a car there too and there was always a few 'mechanics' there to help out if you needed an extra pair of hands.

I just called the phone number out of curiosity and they closed down around 3 or 4 years ago.

Fill the void man!
                  Thank you for the wishes and we are gonna fill the void as best we can!

Hope to have you visit the shop sometime!

Comment

Good luck guys just make sure you cover your ass with the contract you get people to sign.

Comment

i would love to check it out sometime!

Comment

Originally posted by rob_96 View Post
                        Good luck guys just make sure you cover your ass with the contract you get people to sign.
                        Thank you and we are trying to construct a great wavier!

Originally posted by TrevoR32 View Post
                        i would love to check it out sometime!
                        We'd love to have you over as soon as we open.

Right now we are seriously looking at a location at Midland and Lawrence and one at Derry Rd and 410.

Comment

Working...
                        X