X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW MTO Requirement

UPDATE...

On March 26, 2006, the ministry introduced the Check Digit Routine. This
    enhancement to our vehicle registration system was implemented to verify the
    validity of VINs at time of the original registration of a motor vehicle.
    VIN data quality is essential to ensure accurate information is available
    for a number of ministry's programs and to maintain record integrity.

As a result of this initiative VINs that are non-17 digits are rejected,
    therefore, it is necessary to confirm that the VIN is accurate. To confirm
    that the VIN on the registration documents is acceptable, however, the
    vehicle registration and an additional document is required. The Export
    Certificate and the Safety Standard Certificate (SSC)is acceptable. If an
    SSC is not filed at time of registration, one of the following documents is
    acceptable:

- Letter from selling dealer verifying correct VIN of vehicle;
    - Letter from new vehicle dealer who sells the same make of vehicle; or
    - Written confirmation from municipal/provincial police verifying that the
    VIN was checked on the vehicle and through CPIC.

On August 3, 2006, the ministry sent a reminder to the Driver and Vehicle
    Licence Issuing Offices that the registration documents and an SSC would be
    acceptable to register motor vehicles with non-17 digits VINs.
    Hope this helps you guys out...

Thanks!
    Mitch

- Toronto, Canada
    Parts. Cars. Service.
    GTR
    MKIV

y is toronto always so weird with importing cars?

Comment

I doubt many of the offices that are known for registering imported vehicles without any issues will even bother enforcing this.

Moved to eastern.

Also, Mitch, I gave you a call and left a msg.
      Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianGTR
        I doubt many of the offices that are known for registering imported vehicles without any issues will even bother enforcing this.
        Well, we did try an register our car at the Brampton North location, and the MTO hotline still asked for a dealership to inspect the car to verify the vin. I'm guessing it applies to all MTO offices now.

Comment

Oh well, not a biggie. Just get the place your car is getting safetied to verify the VIN.
          Race. Win. Live.

Comment

To clarify; a normal mechanic shop cannot verify the VIN for you... According to MTO hotline (the one's that do the VIN override) you need a lettter from the Dealership that matches your vehicle make (Nissan); signed on letterhead that your vin in the paperwork matches the VIN on the chasis.

So if you have a Nissan; go to a Nissan dealership; Toyota (toyota dealership etc).

Something like, I (insert name here) confirm that 1991 Skyline ___ with VIN ____ matches the import paperwork.

When I talked to some dealerships; they hadn't a clue about this MTO requirement.

SO... make friends with you local nissan dealership... you'll need it...

Mitch

- Toronto, Canada
            Parts. Cars. Service.
            GTR
            MKIV

Comment

Meanwhile.... a mechanic at a random shop probably knows just as much about a Skyline as a mechanic at a dealership.

Idiots.
              Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Sooo... what if the car you bring in doesn't have any dealers in Canada?

Let's say someone brought a Lancia in - like the one on your site.
                Where would you have to take that in order to get this kind of letter from a Lancia dealer? :?:

I suppose you could get a MINI dealer to provide that kind of letter for old Rover/Austin Mini's - I'm sure they wouldn't recognize the difference.
                And probably the same for a Datsun at a Nissan dealer. (Maybe they even have some "Datsun" stationary hanging around to make it easier at MTO... )

But what about other makes like Alfa, Peugeot, or Fiat?
                Or my personal favourite odd-ball brand, Mitsuoka?

So MTO is effectively saying that no one is allowed to import anything by a manufacturing that is not in the Canadian market anymore?
                I don't think that this rule is going to work for long.
                1991 GTI-R
                2006 Maxima SE Elite 6spd

"Your race car should be easier and more pleasant to drive than your street car. If it isn't, then someone is doing something wrong."
                -- Carroll Smith (1932-2003)

Comment

Good point... I complained about it... but the MTO Hotline demands it.

As an offside; they only want a letter from the dealer when the VIN is not 17 digits; therefore the mini did not require a letter; but my JDM Miata did.

- Toronto, Canada
                  Parts. Cars. Service.
                  GTR
                  MKIV

Comment

mto registration

Actually any dealer can verify the vin for registration purposes

I took the car to a chrysler dealer! all the MTO wanted was a verification that the vin number matches the vehicle set to be registered. A letter from the dealership with there letterhead is sufficient. It does not have to be a Brand specific dealer.

If anyone is having an issue registering just PM me and I can direct you to the MTO in Keswick I have formed a good realtionship with them, and they are aware of what is required

Comment

We are in the process of getting the MTO Hotline re-educated about what really is required... stay tuned the dealer letter may be no more soon...

- Toronto, Canada
                      Parts. Cars. Service.
                      GTR
                      MKIV

Comment

The dealer letter is not really a big deal to get. Mine was done for free as a courtesy- I guess they were just curious about the car

Comment

Man that sucks. Im getting my GTS-T from Alberta next week. So before I can get insurance I have to go to the dealership and get a letter now?

Anyone have problems as of yet?

1999 Subaru Impreza RSTi Coupe - Silverthorn Metallic -For Sale

-Jason AKA \"Rookie\"

Comment

Let me know when it arrives I can help you out

just PM me

Comment

Im picking it up in Manitoba on the 28th and driving it back to Brampton. Do I need a 10 day to do this or what? I am trading the Subaru to the guy so can I put on those plates?

1999 Subaru Impreza RSTi Coupe - Silverthorn Metallic -For Sale

-Jason AKA \"Rookie\"

Comment

Working...
                              X