Beware of Large Manhole Coquilam at Barnet and Mariner South East Turn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of Large Manhole Coquilam at Barnet and Mariner South East Turn off

Well, most of you that know me know I don't say anything unless important. I hate to say that I found this one the hard way.
    I was in rush hour taking someone to Surrey and decided on my day off to take my baby (S13.5) out for a nice day and get some
    94 octane in her after being in the states for a car show. I had 1/2 a car break in front of me and at 40Km/hr it appeared dead
    center in view. I tried to veer to miss it but my left front bumper and moulded skirt hit at a glance. It was a bone cruncher as
    fiberglass and paint sprayed into my open window. I pulled it off the side up ahead and noticed my full lower front skid pan had
    done its job and stopped any wheel or suspension damage (saved the TCII's !). The bad news was the force pushed in and back
    my front nose so that my custom made s15 INGS -s13 vented fender vertically cracked right through at top of wheel arch and
    stress cracked from there horizontally back to the a-pillar. Needless to say my Nismo 20th anniversary stripe on my fender is
    toast as well.
    This was a major heart-ache after just winning a first place import tuner trophy in washington last week. Those of you that
    know my car will know why I will have to repair this myself and not claim it. Andy at Akautoworks has already looked at it
    and noted it all to be cosmetic but a lot of damage and has offered to help make things right again. Its his baby as much as
    mine. I thought I would give you a major heads up of the area and I went back this even and grabbed so picks. The top of the
    manhole cover is over 5 inches from the size of the cup I took a picture of (all I had in the car as a base point).

Sucks that before I put her away for the year I have to take her back to bodyshop with my other car under construction.
    Hope this saves anyone out there.

Best regards to all,
    Chuckycheese (Paul)

Paul U.

I hate it when they do this.. they are doing this on one of the roads right next to my place (In langley) there is 2 man holes about that same height about 1 foot apart. and the only way to avoid them is by driving in the full other lane (Into oncoming traffic) or else slowing down to about 10kms an hour.. I would call the city and see if you can get them to pay..
    Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

I'd try to get the city to pay for it, especially if there were no signs indicating bumps or higher than normal manholes. Shitty luck though man, post some pics of your car? I don't know if I've seeen you around or not.

Comment

Damn...

I hate that intersection, they've been ripping it apart for 5-6 months now.

Good luck with your repairs and thanks for the heads up to fellow members.

Comment

Get the town/city to pay for it, that is BS. They had no sign up saying there is an abnormal condition, so they should pay for sure. In for pictures of your car though, it sounds hawt.
          BNR32- Sold
          1998 Evolution V

Comment

it's at least worth a try to get the city to deal with it. def couldnt hurt.
            I love the thing and its worth it every time I start it. As soon as it stops make me smile ill get rid of it (not gonna happen)
            (OO)|Skyline|(OO)
            ....R33 GTS25T

Comment

I've seen the city pay for this kind of stuff before. Even ridiculous pot holes that are left unmaintained. Met a guy in Van with a MkIII that met a massive pot hole and screwed up a bunch of suspension parts and messed up some body work, and he went after the city.

Thanks for the tip though... I'd be pissed if I hit that and I'm out there quite often.
              DISCLAIMER: If any of the above comments in this post hurt your feelings you are likely taking me too seriously; I'm probably just busting your balls. If you're unsure, feel free to PM me and we can discuss the matter privately, as to not pull the thread OT.

Comment

I don't know your car, but what's so illegal about it that you can't go after the city? The only thing I can thing of is no insurance, and if that's the case then well that's what you get for breaking the law.
                Last edited by falcon; 09-16-2010, 02:09 AM.

TROL

Comment

ahh i hate these damn street pavings....there are a few around richmond and vancouver. They've been doing them all summer.

Watch out for:

Vancouver
                  - another one right at the intersection between 41st ave and knight street...be careful that one has Manhole and it's not marked very well.

-Another on 41st ave and Main street with manhole and unpaved roads.

I believe there are more large areas of 41st ave that are also unpaved. I just avoid 41st ave for that reason

-There is also construction all over nanaimo street (starts from nanaimo x 29th ave all the way down to nanaimo x grandview hwy ) with unpaved roads,manholes, large dips/craters all over the place

Richmond
                  -section between No.4 road x Blundell to No.4 road x Westminster Hwy

Paul, at least call the city, complain and try to get them to pay for it.
                  BB(Turbo) will spin like "24" spinnaz yo!"

To put it in gangster terms
                  ---------------------------------------

"Right if you're 40 years old and have no sense of adventure go with ecu controlled boost"
                  -evolutionm.net forums

Comment

Everyone that knows me - knows that I am a stickler for following guidlines... as well as I am a Police volunteer.. a few skyline owners here have run into
                    me while I have been on duty in North and South Delta, I did introduce myself- so they know who I am.
                    There is a diferrence of breaking the law and owning something that is 'different' that the the law doesn't know how to interpret correctly. That is a
                    huge and meaningless conversation that many threads are wasted on. Charles (c-unit) and others on here have seen the car and it has appeared on the
                    show circuit as well as the USA show circuit. Our modifications are deemed confrontational by many officers that don't know how to interpret the law
                    correctly. I have proven this even to the face of the DOT (another story - I wish not to get into).
                    Taking one of these into the powers that be and flogging the damage in their faces allows them to start catagorizing the vehicle for future scrutiny.
                    I have had to defend others even during car shows to 'undercover officers -building hit lists to pull cars over for VI after show pullout), on things
                    such as coilovers and harness' installation. I take great pride that ALL my cars (again those that know me- know what I mean in this statement),
                    past and current fully meet DOT inspection and have been pulled in for by highest authority. I just don't beleive in waking the sleeping giant because of
                    the pain and future ramifications that it can impose on myself and others.
                    Our community is a close knit one- and one that issues scatter to others quickly. The years have been more complicated for owners of all car types, even Hot Rod
                    and Muscle car to continue their hobby without interuption and legally. It sometimes takes one person to make the boat rock the one way harder for other
                    owners. This is what I have always tried to maintain as an owner and club member in good standing. I hope others will heed this as well for the better of
                    the club and organization. Don't pee in your pond and all will have a good day. Sometimes you have to suck it up for the beneift of others.

---

I don't know your car, but what's so illegal about it that you can't go after the city? The only thing I can thing of is no insurance, and if that's the case then well that's what you get for breaking the law.
                    the car----------------

Last edited by chuckycheese; 09-16-2010, 02:18 PM.
                    Paul U.

Comment

Much respect to you Paul,

from meeting you in person, in writing and your cars.

Comment

Wow that would be terrible! Thanks for the heads up, even though im hardly around that area.
                        p.s. your car is stunniinngg!
                        White 1990 Nissan Skyline HCR32.
                        "Skyline" Is a lifestyle.

Comment

theres also another annoying manhole cover on the #1 in port coquitlam. going east in the HOV lane in that stretch infront of ikea and all that other stuff theres a big manhole right at the sign that says united boulevard. bottoms out my friends vw rabbit every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Knapton View Post
                            theres also another annoying manhole cover on the #1 in port coquitlam. going east in the HOV lane in that stretch infront of ikea and all that other stuff theres a big manhole right at the sign that says united boulevard. bottoms out my friends vw rabbit every time.
                            it's been hell along that stretch for ages, I wish they'd hurry up and finish

Comment

Working...
                            X