Maybe moving :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe moving :)

So after playing around with google and revisiting my child hood in Kelowna, B.C. i have decided i want to move back lol

Anyone living there currently? If so, hows the job scene out there and living costs?
    '12 Kia Forte - Winter/Summer car
    '91 Skyline GTR - Weekend Fun/Project car

I haven't lived there in a number of years but I have a lot of family and friends there. It is such a beautiful place to live and I don't think you will find a big difference from Hamilton to Kelowna depending on where you are currenty living (on the mountain ect).
    Jobs are not very plentiful however that does depend greatly on what you are looking for. Wages are pretty low as min wage is $8.50ish.
    I'll be there for the first week in November if there is anything I can check out for you.
    Good luck and I wish I could move back. It's one of the few places other then Halifax I'd consider living.

Comment

Well I'd need a job making alot more then min lol, but I've heard bc insurance is cheaper for skylines so it might all balance out lol, currently looking into hotels and the coca cola warehouse but not much I can find online for them hiring

Comment

Yea.... Job scene is rough not a lot of hiring going around. Rent is insane gas is insane insurance is okay

Comment

when u said rent is insane what are we talkin? like 800-900 for a 1 bed or 1200+?

Comment

For a decent apartment/condo $1000-$1400 in an area without crackheads

Comment

i was looking at an apartment on Sutton Crescent in kelowna, cant find any type of pricing for them online

Comment

Originally posted by cooke24 View Post
                For a decent apartment/condo $1000-$1400 in an area without crackheads
                My mother has a very nice new 2 bedroom with lots of storage in a very nice area just across the bridge, with more than enough space for a grand/month.
                Cost of living here isn't bad and the price of fuel is certainly on par with the rest of the country. $1.219 last I looked. I'm in Kelowna now.
                Last edited by bobbo; 11-03-2011, 07:13 PM.

Comment

One less skyline in Ontario

Just kidding, that would be sweet I'd like to check out the scene over there.
                  1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

Job scene here in Kelowna is scares but i guess it all depends on what you're looking to do for work. Pound the pavement enough im sure you could find something. Rent is up there for sure here but again it depends on what part of town you want to live in. I mean im sharing a 5 bedroom house with 5 people for 2000$ a month plus utilities pretty close to downtown and thats a steal.

Comment

castanet.net classifieds section all the info you need.

ontario huh, id love to trade u some thoughts about each place. my family if looking to move from kelowna.

Kelowna: 10 years experience

-- Jobs are mostly service, not much if any industry to speak of. sunshine tax means you don't get paid well either. most work in alberta and come to spend their earnings back in Kelowna.
                      -- home rental prices are on par with Vancouver, you can rent little condos and apartments for a reasonable price, but you live with retirees which have nothing other to do then make complaints. apartments 1000-3500 a month homes 1400-4500 a month obviously lower priced are crackshacks and higher are new nice family homes.
                      -- insurance is reasonable, gas is avg 120 a litter over last year.
                      -- people are not very considerate or reasonable in every day interactions, say at a coffee shop. it seems everyone is having a hard time making ends meet and thus are very bitter and resentful if you have more then them.
                      -- its a well known kelowna descriptor that people here are kilckyy, i don't know what klicky means, to me its a nice way to say people here have a crab in a bucket mentality.
                      -- a religious and conservative mentality is very pervasive in everyday life, which might be OK if you are these, if not you are treated like an outsider.
                      -- no nighlife to speak of, unless you gamble.
                      -- lots of very pretty females, bring money.
                      -- small but growing import scene, again Klicky.
                      -- schools are very good UBCO and OC
                      -- very beautiful when their is no smog from WA and its not clouded in.
                      -- outdoor activities are good if you have a nice boat $$$

writing this i sound bitter, lol. i guess i regret moving here.
                      Last edited by R32GT-R; 11-04-2011, 02:13 PM.
                      Trust T618Z,Carrillo Rods,CP Pistons,Tomei 280 10.8 lift ProCams, Tomei Spec C Springs, N1 Block, ARP, ATI, ATL, Bosch 044,Sard 800cc,PFC,Z32 etc.......

Comment

On another thought.... RUN AWAY

Comment

Kelowna is sick. My aunt and uncle live up there. They always wanted to and the only way they could make it work was by getting a job before-hand (which I strongly recommend). There is a decent amount of new construction up there to develop all the areas affected by last years fires... But that depends if there's enough people buying.

It is expensive, but it's a beauty tax. I find that it's a small town still... I like to be in the city, or 15-20 minutes away. I moved from just outside of Van to Kitchener-Waterloo and I feel like I'm in a small town, and can't wait to go home.

As for outdoor activities... Depending on your hobbies, they are limitless. I like hiking, biking, dirt-biking, 4x4'ing, water-skiing, snow-skiing... The list goes on. For a guy like me, whose every hobby involves the outdoors, it's great.

All-in-all, although I risk offending the majority of this forum, it is much more amazing than this place they call Ontario... Or at least from what I've seen.

I just can't stress enough; have work lined up. Makes life much easier.

EDIT: The car scene is pretty legit as well, if you get in with the right groups, which is pretty clicky (as previously stated) it can be good.
                          Last edited by Snow; 11-05-2011, 05:30 PM.
                          DISCLAIMER: If any of the above comments in this post hurt your feelings you are likely taking me too seriously; I'm probably just busting your balls. If you're unsure, feel free to PM me and we can discuss the matter privately, as to not pull the thread OT.

Comment

Dude, Ontario is so weak when it comes to things to do lol. Living here my whole life has definitely shown me that :P
                            Originally posted by kengeroo
                            that's what I thought when I opened the package..
                            ...don't drink and ebay
                            '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

kelowna is pretty sick, winters arnt to bad summers are nice, jobs arnt that hard to find. i love it here hope to see a new skyline rolling around here
                              93 laser sold
                              91 skyline gtst totaled
                              92 skyline gtr current

Comment

Working...
                              X