Driving through to Alberta from vancouver island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving through to Alberta from vancouver island

Alright mainland guys, I need some input here. Next week (June 14th to be exact) I'll be packing up my car and heading east to Alberta from Vancouver Island. I am taking a longer route that includes going through Jasper, and Banf, and this is going to mean some extra driving in heavily populated areas. Normally this would be a no-brainer drive, but seeing how I'm young, drive an R32, and have been hassled many times before with the easy going island cops, I need some input on dangerous areas to drive.

Little bit of info about the car..
    Black
    Black window tint
    Lowered, but not slammed. I can clear speed bumps without hesitation.
    A/M exhaust (who doesn't) WITH the cat, at a very reasonable level at idle and low RPM.
    No 3rd brake light
    No side marker tail lights.

With that information, as well as the knowledge of where cops like to patrol, do you have any suggestions of where I should avoid?
    It would absolutely blow if I received a VI on my drive since I intend on driving back in July, but don't have any money for repairs while im in Alberta.

Thanks in advance guys.
    Originally posted by victoriaGTR
    tire smoke makes my wiener tingle.

if your coming jasper way youll miss field. they have a large truck scale area where cops like to hide. thankfully when I got pulled over in bc I had alberta plates all I got was warnings usually I never have issues just bad luck that day.
    98 Aristo - V300 Vertex
    93 Skyline GTR - SOLD
    92 4dr Skyline GTS-T - SOLD
    92 Skyline GTS-T - SOLD
    90 Skyline GTS-T - SOLD

Comment

If you got window tint on the front/side windows, do yourself a huge favour and tear it off. That is the biggest callout for a cop/CVSE. Alberta isn't as anal with the DOT stuff as BC but no side markers is another callout. Just go to Crappy Tire or Princess Auto and get some of the stick on plastic reflectors and they will look the part, best of all, no holes. You can just make out my front ones in the pic to the right, just stuck on, 4 years no issues.

Jon.
      Last edited by Dragon Humper; 06-10-2013, 01:11 AM.
      Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

I do have heavy tint on the small side windows, but nothing on the door windows. Do you suggest I still remove the side tint?

Thats a great idea about the reflectors! I'll go buy some 3M double sided tape and cheap-o reflectors this afternoon.
        Originally posted by victoriaGTR
        tire smoke makes my wiener tingle.

Comment

Get a radar detector and you should be fine. I don't normally get hassled/questioned unless I'm pulled over for being an a$$hat.

Good luck its a beautiful drive! And remember they will pin you to the wall if your pulled over in a national forest...

Cheers,
          Brent

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away.

Comment

I used to live in lake louise, barely ever saw cops on my drives to the island. I used to rip my gsxr 600 tru those mountain roads and excess speeds....never saw anyone. You nust need to know which major tow s have rcmp and go easy in those areas. You should swing well north and take the longer route, its gorgeous. Highway 93 (jasper to lake louise) is 245kms and a turn every 20 seconds lol. Its amazing scenary and top 10 on most scenic drives in north america
            R33 GTST RB25DET series 1
            Stock motor, holset HX40, power fc d-jetro, bolt ons, 20psi = 492rwhp 364 lbft

Comment

^^ agreed, I drove 93 a couple weeks ago, its breathtaking
              RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
              http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
              1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

Originally posted by Wootang View Post
                I do have heavy tint on the small side windows, but nothing on the door windows. Do you suggest I still remove the side tint?

Thats a great idea about the reflectors! I'll go buy some 3M double sided tape and cheap-o reflectors this afternoon.
                the small side windows dont matter, just cant have any film or tint on the front windows, (shoulders forward )

enjoy the drive! i did it last year all the way from Saskatchewan, not in the skyline but it was still unreal!
                Built R32 GTR, BW S362, 682awhp @ 28psi

Comment

Don't speed through the Banff highway stretch. Radar is 24/7 there and comes with a hefty fine for speeding in the park.
                  Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
                  hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

You won't really get hassled in Alberta with anything car wise other than your tint and on the occasion your exhaust. Highway wise on the Alberta side, they will really only stop you if you're breaking the law ie. speeding. It's in the larger cities like Calgary and Edmonton where the municipal police force like to enforce the no-tint and exhaust tickets. Just don't speed and you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X