No announcement yet.

Daily drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only had my gtr out in fresh snow in my street, the awd is so fun, not really meant for snow though. An awd controller really helps, 50/50 in snow= hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Humper View Post
      Obviously you will have to epoxy the heater to a GTR oilpan.

0w30 works quite well. You don't really need a heater with a 8.5 to 1 motor. Don't worry about the top end, the oil never drains out of the
      galleries and it's lubing the valve train in about 30 sec. after you fire up, even in -40deg. weather.

The engine in my Caprice uses spring tension a little higher than an RB's with a contact point 1/10th the size as an RB's. The rockers don't see oil for about 2 min. in the summer (obviously longer in winter) and the engine has 260k KMs on it. Spent the first 10 years of it's life in Lethbridge AB too.

Jon.
      What does being 8.5:1 have to do with not needing a heater?

Oil, even a good 0w30, doesn't protect as well at -30 as it does at a nice warm operating temperature. For as expensive as RB26's are, I think the 150 bucks for a pan heater and 10 bucks a month in power to run it would be very worthwhile to ensure that stuff like your main and rod bearings have a sufficient oil film on them to prevent wear.
      1990 Skyline GT-R - Jet Silver Metallic
      It'll run someday

Comment

Originally posted by AndreP View Post
        As for the AWD its strange i find. You can easily oversteer in winter but give it more gas and the front end will get more traction and it will straighten out.
        That's the way it was designed. To prevent understeer like 4WD cars, ATESSA removes traction from the front wheels when cornering. When you push the gas to come out of the corner that's when it kicks in.
        R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Mine's a daily too. Much as it pains me to be exposing my baby to our elements. I drive mine very little, I'm fortunate enough to walk to work, so its more of a weekender. But its the only wheels I have, and she's started in -35 no probs (belts didnt sound happy about it for a few mins though).

Proper maintenance, and dealing w/ the odd issue, are par for the course on a 15+ yr old car. I had my alternator fail in december last year, this year the battery finally died, just lost my AC belt tensioner couple days ago... (but who cares about AC in january?) Like others said, take care of the little things, take the bus if it breaks down, and enjoy your car.

The Canadian Polar Pad is a unique product designed to heat all the important parts of the engine beginning with it's oil supply. It operates by one of the most basic principles of physics ....HEAT RISES! As the oil pan is heated to bring the oil to operating temperatures, the heat rises into the engine to warm it's internal components.

I didn't know about those things till now. Mine just has a block heater inline on a coolant hose. Crappy Tire carries those pan heaters... think its time to get me one.
          '91 GTS-t 4dr IMPUL R32-R

Comment

I drive my GTR 365 days/year. I average about 440 every week and gas and tires get expensive!
            Full-Race sponsored GTR. Anything else is half fast!

Full-Race.com

Comment

I drove mine once this winter and it ended up being the biggest snowfall day of the winter so far. Had so much fun plowing home from school. the look on peoples faces as you slide your loud right hand drive car down the street in a cloud of snow is priceless. Other then that i drive my 89 honda rustbucket in the winter. best $400 i have ever spent.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCaporaL View Post
                That's the way it was designed. To prevent understeer like 4WD cars, ATESSA removes traction from the front wheels when cornering. When you push the gas to come out of the corner that's when it kicks in.
                Im aware thats how it was designed, just felt the need to mention that it doesnt handle like a 4WD car.

Comment

Working...
                X