Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition System Question

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a set of Okada Direct Plasma coil packs or Splitfire coil packs. Anyone running either of these? Any comments or opinions on this ignition systems? Thanks.
    Last edited by IXION; 04-07-2011, 12:35 AM.
    In our journey, we call "LIFE", we move forward from point A to point B. And along the way, we shall cherish the bumps and curves that are thrown at us, especially when we face them in our
    SKYLINE GT-R.

Opinion: Unless you have LOTS of things moded, running atleast 600whp and are having ignition issues with newer normal coils (and or an amplifier) and have a pretty loose budget to spend over $1200 ($1600 on RHDjapan) on that component (yes they are that much), stick with some splitfires ($400). Splitfires have been great past 500whp. OEM coils have been known to be used at 800hp no problem. Anyways, start getting more important stuff done like power adders then move on to expensive little support things when you have issues or surpass a point where OEM coils can't do. 800hp? I would buy some splitfires if I have ignition problems and put that $800 towards some badass intake/exhaust/clutch/fuel/oiling mods bro

Oh, they are the cats ass but that cash can be spent elsewhere for better gains unless you've already upgraded everything already haha.

Even splitfires with an HKS amplifier is as good and cost $400 less still.

I vote splitfires FTW. What's your power output? You getting ignition problems?
    Last edited by Bruizer; 04-07-2011, 03:40 AM.
    No build thread.
    1991 nissan
    El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

I asked about okada a few yrs back and I got flamed.lol.Search in the hot rod forums for a B&M ignition booster(B&M 18 Volt Amplifier)
      But this is old and not produced anymore.So if you find a XS engineering power pack or a B&M 18 volt amp ignition booster You found gold bro.
      Okada is just a unknown brand that some guys claim they are the sht.Back in the days.Its a waste of money in my book.Might want to get a used HKS dli.I have use DLI and works fine.But My advice will be to talk to your tuner.They are efi systems that has what you are looking for......
      To bad they don't make the good stuff anymore.I have a B&M with splitfires set up and BKR7/BKR8s works so fine.9K+ rpms/600+hp all day.
      Good luck
      You Love Japan and Japan hates you.Fck JDM

Comment

Thanks for the input. I did not realize Okada was old tech. I needed a different insight on the ignition end. I'm swapping out turbos to -5's, cams, manifold, dumps and fuel injectors to Tomie next month. I have all the parts, just budgeting for Link G4 or AEM EMS ecu so I can get it all installed at the same time. My exhaust system is done with a Veilside system. Intake is Apexi, Blitz BOV and boost controller, turbo timer and Tomei fuel pump, FPR. As for my drive train and suspension, I have so far OS Giken triple plate clutch and OS Giken 2 way LSD, Cusco coilovers. I'm not going for big HP, but more for throttle response. Hence, the ignition question. Again, Bruizer and actionbstard, thank you for you insight. Much appreciated. BTW I will follow your advice and go for the splitfire.
        Last edited by IXION; 04-07-2011, 09:33 PM.
        In our journey, we call "LIFE", we move forward from point A to point B. And along the way, we shall cherish the bumps and curves that are thrown at us, especially when we face them in our
        SKYLINE GT-R.

Comment

That's a crazy clutch for less than 500hp really. How do you like it? Not too tough for a street tune car? If you're just planning for that clutch, I'd suggest going with a twin which can handle 600hp and is easier to drive.

Originally posted by IXION View Post
          Thanks for the input. I did not realize Okada was old tech. I needed a different insight on the ignition end. I'm swapping out turbos to -5's, cams, manifold, dumps and fuel injectors to Tomie next month. I have all the parts, just budgeting for Link G4 or AEM EMS ecu so I can get it all installed at the same time. My exhaust system is done with a Veilside system. Intake is Apexi, Blitz BOV and boost controller, turbo timer and Tomei fuel pump, FPR. As for my drive train and suspension, I have so far OS Giken triple plate clutch and OS Giken 2 way LSD, Cusco coilovers. I'm not going for big HP, but more for throttle response. Hence, the ignition question. Again, Bruizer and actionbstard, thank you for you insight. Much appreciated. BTW I will follow your advice and go for the splitfire.
          No build thread.
          1991 nissan
          El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Its not bad actually, a little grabby at low rpm roll. Chatter starts if you're around 1000 to 1200 rpm start. But really nice at high/hard launches.
            SKYLINE GT-R.

Comment

Working...
            X