No announcement yet.

question bout engine oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5/10-W30 is more than fine for street use.

I use Royal Purple 10W30 for street and 10W40 XPR for track sessions where I know I'm going to have a fair amount of track time.

The Oil filter as previously mentioned is from a 240SX or 300ZX.

The first time I went to a Nissan Dealer and used the following Part # 15208-55Y00 and there were two kinds, a thin and a fat, I bought the fat because my relocation kit allows for enough room to put on the fat filter (you said "too big" - space or filter threads?), if you have an issue with space ask for the thin. Also ask for the oil drain plug washers for each filter, which are free of charge.

My relocation kit is an HKS kit with an oil cooler.

Hope this helps.

Check out my YouTube Channel - HERE
    Check out FS Motorsports - HERE

Comment

Originally posted by gtrte37 View Post
      thanks man ill try it out, what type of oil do you use?
      5w40 Motul 8100. The 300v is just too expensive hahah.
      (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ 1990 BNR32

Comment

actually guys theres a mutol sale on ebay right now. 6liters of the 15w50 for 80 bucks.

thank plumwerks
        edit:http://cgi.ebay.ca/Motul-3-300V-15w5...item3cb4878467
        - Adam

:
        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

noone here uses 0 weight?

Comment

Anyone using Amsoil? i was thinking about going from royal purple to that instead... Read some test about how it breaks down at alot higher of a temp?
            1993 Nissan R32 GTR

Comment

finally did my oil change, went with 10w40 royal purple instead of 15w50 (hard to find), oil pressure guage before read about 6.0 at idle with the old oil, now its around 2, is it bad? will there be any power loss?

Comment

I use 0-30 10-40 and 0-50 depending on the time of year and what I'm driving like. 0-50 is the shiznit (Eneos)
                No build thread.
                1991 nissan
                El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Around 2 is about right for idle.

You were reading 6 at idle before...!? That is insane.

Check out my YouTube Channel - HERE
                  Check out FS Motorsports - HERE

Comment

finally did my oil change, went with 10w40 royal purple instead of 15w50 (hard to find), oil pressure guage before read about 6.0 at idle with the old oil, now its around 2, is it bad? will there be any power loss?
                    You were 6bar at idle before, Jebus!! That is way to thick, that's gotta be like 80w90 diff fluid thickness. That puts ALOT of stress on an already inherently weak oil pump. You are lucky you didn't pop anything at that pressure. 2bar is about right at idle (~30psi).

I'll be the only one to say this because I'm not brainwashed, you don't need to spend $100 dollars on an oil change. I have been using Shell Rotella T 15w40 with a splash of Lucas oil treatment and 500ml of GM EOS for 2 years now and the crank case has never smelled better. You can tell alot about what is going on in your engine just by the smell (I'm not kidding, I've been in the engine building game for almost 25 years). The car may have had top dollar Motul in it when I got it but it was old and black (never had an oil change in Canada before I got it) and smelled like dogshit (a reminder to change your oil often).

Between $3.64 for the Wix oil filter and $26 for the oil cocktail that I have come up with it has been 7000 very hard km (6 oil changes) on a motor that is pushing 600hp. Runs like a top and revs smooth as silk.

If you do a little research you will find that an oil that can take a big rig engine (boosted by up to 50psi) to the 1 million mile mark without any issues is actually better for an RB that has no roller anything in it (most modern engines do not have sliding metal parts, all roller). I am also convinced that I have a stock oil pump, I rev it to 8200 everytime I drive it, 'nuff said.

Jon.
                    Last edited by Dragon Humper; 04-18-2011, 02:08 AM.
                    Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Jon I love your posts lol "I rev it to 8200 everytime I drive it" hahaha awesome ! Im going to change the fluids in my trans,front and rear diff. What are you running and what do you reccomend ?
                      thanks
                      "LAG is the time the guy beside you thought he won"

Comment

Originally posted by evilgtr View Post
                        Jon I love your posts lol "I rev it to 8200 everytime I drive it" hahaha awesome ! Im going to change the fluids in my trans,front and rear diff. What are you running and what do you reccomend ?
                        thanks
                        7000km and 6 oil changes? Isn't that a bit too far apart? Have you tried walmart oil?

I use AMSoil cause it's cheap to get and top quality. I moved from Redline and royal purple. OSG oil in diffs.
                        No build thread.
                        1991 nissan
                        El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

amsoil dominator 15-50
                          oh hai!

Comment

im sure my oil pump is either nismo or tomei, gotta confirm with previous owner, if i did have the stock oil pump on my 89 im sure something would've burst running 1.5 bar boost. glad nothing did pop off, boost it wenever i get a chance (too hard to resist)

Comment

Originally posted by evilgtr View Post
                              thanks
                              I can't help it, she pulls like a rocket, in 1st and 2nd gear if you aren't paying attention you are at 9000 before you know it. Besides, there is nothing like the sound of an RB at 8k, I grew up with Chevy V8s and they still make music to me, but an RB........they sound absolutely pissed off at full song.

I broke down and put RedLine in the diffs (no LSD additive, it makes them engauge more positively, can cause chatter), the trans fluid looked so clean, all I did was top it up with some Dextron to help out the slight grind I have in 4th. The transfer case looked a little sludgy so I flushed it with Type F trans fluid and bled it/topped it up. Type F is nothing more than hydraulic fluid with a little bit of red dye in it. There are no friction modifiers in it to make clutches engauge more smoothly (like the LSD additive), makes any automatic transmission shift better once it is starting to get a little long in the tooth. It's low temp fluidity is just as good as a synthetic.

Jon.
                              Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

im sure my oil pump is either nismo or tomei, gotta confirm with previous owner, if i did have the stock oil pump on my 89 im sure something would've burst running 1.5 bar boost. glad nothing did pop off, boost it wenever i get a chance (too hard to resist)
                                Tomei is easy to pick out, Nismo, not so much. I may have an N1, won't know untill the engine comes apart, I still haven't found a way to figure that out without pulling the pump out.

I have yet to send an E-mail off to the shop that built my car to see what internal mods were done. You would think a member of the RH9 club of shops would do something other than just cams to a motor that a T88 is going to be bolted on to.

I like your engine pic, looks like mine only with MAFs.

Jon.

Comment

Working...
                                X