wiring subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring subs

im sure many have done this just wondering if anyone can give me an idea on where they grounded there amp mine in the back bolted to the metal plate behind the seat and im currently grounded to the struit tower and not bass is coming. i have power to the amp just no bass i dont know if its somthing else im doing wrong or what but ideas on where to put the ground or if thats fine would be helpful thanks

it needs to be to a bare metal surface
    Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

i grounded mine at the bolt to the right of my trunk, holds the container of fluid, pretty sure its the attessa fluid jug, not sure.
      '12 Kia Forte - Winter/Summer car
      '91 Skyline GTR - Weekend Fun/Project car

Comment

If you ground is no good your amp shouldnt power up.
        If it's powering up, check your RCA singal cables
        Come on lotto!!! Daddy needs a whole lotta stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by future_R34 View Post
          If you ground is no good your amp shouldnt power up.
          If it's powering up, check your RCA singal cables
          i had this problem with my friends truckthe amp lit up but subs wouldnt go moved the ground and it fixed dunno why. i check them at the head unit and there pluged in the right spots and everything ima try making sure there in the right colours not sure if that makes a difference

Comment

No colors don't matter as long as both are hooked up to the deck of course. If your amp is powered up you should be fine. A bad ground can make you blow alot of fuses on your amp (assuming your amp has fuses most do in my experience) I know I hooked up a terrible ground and it worked but every two pounds the fuse popped I would check your deck settings I know every one I have had you can turn the preouts (rca's) on and off and up and down and check the gain on your amp could be turned right down?

Comment

Oh yah, is the 12volt signal ( blue wire from your deck) supplying the power to turn on the amp?
              Come on lotto!!! Daddy needs a whole lotta stuff!

Comment

yea its hooked up because the amp only turns on when the sterio is on. ima try putting the subs in my friends supra and see if they even work cuz im at a loss. does anyone run a second battery or capacitor or anything like that i was told its a good idea as the gtrs alternator is of the smaller variety

Comment

If the light on the Amp is Green then ground and power are good. If the light is red or not on then there is a groun/power issue. Red (amp guard) usually means ground issue, no light means power. Your remote wire should be connected to the ignition wire on the decks harness (blue wire, sometimes has a white strip) if you have no blue wire on the wiring harnes, splice into the red wire on the harness for your remote wire. Make sure your amp filters are set correct, fuses arent blown, RCA are connected to Sub-out on deck and red to red, white to white. As for the ground, What usually works great is drill a small hole in the trunk off to the side (be sure to avoid anything underneath) then grind away the paint to expose bare metal, bolt it down. Also, kind of common sense but...make sure you have some speaker wire conecting the subs to the amp (seen this a few times...) And lastly, depending on if your deck has this feature or not, under settings see if you can turn subs on or off. If so, make sure they are turned on.

Its always something simple that gets overlooked, let me know if any of the above helped.
                  1989 GTR - summer toy
                  2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

Your issue isn't the ground although, scratching the paint off your ground point helps.

Check your connections. Are your interior box wires rigged up properly? Is it a 4 ohm sub? I know for me I have a 4ohm sub running 2 ohms and a 2 channel amp, so both my sub and amp are bridged. Something like this could be your problem.

Also i know with my amp, untill i turned the imput sensitivity up to full i was getting almost no response out of my sub. Try playing with the dials on your amp too.
                    Originally posted by Paradis
                    ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

i bought a pre packed sub clarion box so i would assume all the wires all good and i would just have to hook up. not sure what the subs are for ohms i pretty much just asked what would work at the store and this is what they gave me and its not

Comment

Just adding in here but the light on your amp (depending on your amp) may not even change color with a power issue. The last amp I had was red ( everything good) or off good to check with the specs in your amp

Comment

figured it all out turned out the subs were wired wrong in the box i took them out and re wired them and now they work fine quality chinese wiring these days

Comment

Working...
                          X