Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown HG! Where to begin?

Hey GTRers,
    My friend(skymonster) bought a R32 GTR last year, drove it a lil, stored it thru the winter, got it out of storgage to discover a Blown Headgasket. I let him know he should do it right and not a quick fix. I believe it is a stock RB26, stock boost and timing belt was done 10 000 kms ago. Apex MAF elbows, Downpipe and exhaust are the current mods that relate to engine.
    So, my question is.... What should be done to make it reliable? And what research should be done prior to ordering parts? Not lookin for an over build just reliablility.
    I will probably source his parts(Rightdrive etc) and he will get the work done at a Nissan Dealer or reputable shop.

My thoughts...
    Tomei Headgasket(Not sure on size)
    Nissan Full Engine Gasket Kit
    Nissan or Tomei Intake/Exhaust Mani Gasket??????
    ARP Headstuds
    Deck the Head or Rebuild it?

Thanks for your opinions in advance.
    Last edited by beacher1B0; 05-15-2011, 12:52 PM.

the machine shop will tell you how much material they're gonna remove when they deck your surfaces and that will let you know the thickness of your HG stock thickness is 1.2mm i was able to have my block and head decked and was still able to use a 1.2mm tomei on my rb20
    im thinking oem intake and exhaust gaskets would be fine. and that was you can just get the oem gasket kit and have them all, even the valve seals for head rebuild(all you should need, shop can sleeve guides, reuse valves,springs)

tomei HG
    nissan gasket kit
    arp head studs
    rebuilt head

not sure for rb26 but for my rb20 all that was under $1000
    - Adam

:
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

im in the maket for headgasket and studs aswell, im curious to see what size is recomended for headgasket size. my block has never been rebuilt "not that i know of" but tomei only has 87mm bore...............is that ok for that gasket bore to be 1mm bigger then the block bore??
      Being built...

Comment

yeah, should be fine. the rb20det is 78mm bore and the smallest is 80.5mm bore. people use those so..
        - Adam

:
        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

I believe the lil larger diameter is because the gasket will get squashed when it gets torqued down.

Im still opened to more suggestions from experience.

Comment

Tomei Metal headgasket.

Upgrade the intake gaskets (Tomei or similar) as stock can blow (same problem on RB20, RB25) when boost level is raised.

ARP head studs (make sure you use the correct type for application).

Tomei bronze valve guides (stock can crack at higher rpm, leaner A/F ratio's on racetrack). If for road can use new stock valve guides.

Tomei valve springs (upgrade valve springs if done high km).

Recut valve seats, valves x 24

Skim head

Replace valve stem seals (Nissan repair gasket kit)

If replacing camcover gaskets, can use Permaseal brand as the washers under screws seem to be a better design and comes with new half moons, filler cap seal.
            Last edited by Skym; 05-16-2011, 02:53 AM.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
            X