Bronze magnesium valve guides????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronze magnesium valve guides????

So i grabbed a set of supertech bronze magnesium valve guides for my rb26 along with tomei solid lifters, supertech single valve springs and retainers, and supertech valve stem seals. however today my machine shop called me and said they dont reccomend using the bronze magnesium guides because they tend to melt at high rpms and stick to the valves. ive never heard of this before and couldnt find any info on it online. i do plan on revving to roughly 9k or wherever i make power until so it is a concern. anyone shed any light on this?
    1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

I dont understand why people still use bronze valve guides? There we're used when gas had lead and the guides we're oil enpregnated (whatever how you spell that). Can you get like Titanium or some other alloy? Dropping a guide sucks!
    03 lancer dead
    68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
    05 chevy silverado L33
    2010 crv Wife's ride
    1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

I don't see how you could possibly melt them. Weakest link in bronze is the tin component and even that doesn't melt until 450 Celsius. The melting point for those would be farrrrrr greater than your engine would ever get (600-800 Celsius depending on the composition of the bronze).
      Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
      hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

what kinda guides are you running hozer?

Comment

Melt at high RPM? Better tell BMW that. All their bike engines use bronze guides. And rev to 10k+ RPM.

I'm using the supertech guides, because I lost a motor from a cast iron guide exploding for no goddamn reason. **** stock guides.

The supertech guides are kinda shitty too though, mine took a TON of machine work to get in the head properly, and then all of them but 2 had to be reamed, and the two that didn't had have liners put in because they were oversized.
          1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
          2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
          2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by GTRADDICT View Post
            I dont understand why people still use bronze valve guides? There we're used when gas had lead and the guides we're oil enpregnated (whatever how you spell that). Can you get like Titanium or some other alloy? Dropping a guide sucks!
            do you have any idea how much a set of Ti guides would cost? hahah

Comment

something like 400 bucks! i need a decision guys run the stock guides or the supertech????

Comment

+1 one finding other guides. I put supertech in mine, and they ended up requiring a lot of machining. Apparently the hole in the tube may not be concentric enough, so the valve won't go in as straight as it was from factory.

Lifter number 8 on my intake cam was so far out (had to regrind the seat so much to compensate for the angle that the valve now sits significantly higher in the head) that
                I had to use an OEM lifter (thinner than Tomei), and even a shim thinner than Nissan offers....it was like 1.55mm or something stupid. It still should work fine, it just might be a pain in the ass to set the cams up, having to find undersized shims.

I used 9.5mm shims from a Hotcams CRF450R shim kit in my motor. They don't completely fill the bucket in the retainer, but as long as the shim can't slide off the valve, and expose even a small segment of it, it's good to go (don't think you can get away with using smaller diameter shims). You can pick up a kit for less than 100 bucks that has like 3 of each shim from 1.2 to 3.5mm in .05mm increments

My engine builder said that I should have just put what he called 'sleeves' in the guides, that way the tunnel stays true to original so minimal valve seat grinding would be required, and it would be less of a pain in the ass to install the guides (head has to be oven heated several times to get the guides out, as you can't get them out fast enough before it cools). I had never looked into it further, but I dunno if I'd trust a sleeve in a shitty guide that could crack. lol

...I wouldn't risk running the stock guides though.
                Last edited by christdeyoung; 08-07-2011, 03:45 PM. Reason: Addition of last line.

Comment

I have a beautiful set of jun guides i would sell you, but according to your machine shop they would melt at 9k rpm, yet jun ran them well past that.

Comment

I would never ever run stock guides in an RB26 head ever again. They ruin motors.
                    1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag

Comment

Originally posted by gtrjon View Post
                      what kinda guides are you running hozer?
                      Couldn't tell you, not stock thoug... But honestly think stock would be fine. Would like to see any conclusive proof that cast iron shatters in engines regularly enough to warrant replacing them. Mind you at a couple hundred bucks, probably worth doing and you really can't go wrong with any of them... your not gonna melt them
                      Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
                      hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

Originally posted by christdeyoung View Post
                        +1 one finding other guides. I put supertech in mine, and they ended up requiring a lot of machining. Apparently the hole in the tube may not be concentric enough, so the valve won't go in as straight as it was from factory.
                        all valve guides will require reaming to fit your valve stems

Comment

so many mixed views lol! are stock guides really that bad? if you guys were in my shoes would you run the stock guides or throw the supertechs in? i dont have time to order anymore i need to make this decision today!

Comment

Originally posted by gtrjon View Post
                            so many mixed views lol! are stock guides really that bad? if you guys were in my shoes would you run the stock guides or throw the supertechs in? i dont have time to order anymore i need to make this decision today!
                            Do you really want to make the wrong choice... You may have a deadline of some sort but is it really worth it. If I new more of guides I would help you.
                            03 lancer dead
                            68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
                            05 chevy silverado L33
                            2010 crv Wife's ride
                            1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

That guy and 5 of his friends say they break. Ruined my ~$7000 motor. Those are stock guides with unknown KM. I beat my car ALL THE TIME. I also maintain it very, very well. That's a picture looking into an intake port if anyone can't tell.

Is it worth the risk? Cheap out on a $120 set of guides in your built motor?
                              Last edited by Terrh; 08-08-2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X