Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car being painted in the winter, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car being painted in the winter, what to do?

Hello All,

Like the title says my 91 gtr is going in for paint this winter. My question to the GTR-DOM is what other items should i be looking at replacing at the time? Assuming:....

-paint is staying black
    - planning on mild side skirts/poss lip/rear diffuser/cf trunk/spoiler.
    - any small dents or knicks would be fixed.

What else would be good to replace? window mouldings? windscreen and rear window trim? Anything that may have been missed?

I am planning on replacing the trunk as well.... reason behind that is a) it is far too heavy b) fitment was never right (originally from another gtr). I was thinking carbon fibre front lip and trunk....would try and lightly spray those items to tone down the carbon fibre silver, giving it a hint of the paint being used. That being said are there better options for those cf pcs? Thanks again.

Trevor.

Check allignment of your doors,hood and trunk. Check window moldings and change if nessasary and so on. Painting is easy its the prep work that is tedious.
    92,94,95 Honda Civic
    92,92,93 Nissan Skyine GTS-T
    91 Nissan Skyline GTR
    92,93 Nissan 180sx
    90,91,91,92,93,93 Nissan 240sx
    89 Nissan Silvia

Comment

Originally posted by specialedition View Post
      Check allignment of your doors,hood and trunk. Check window moldings and change if nessasary and so on. Painting is easy its the prep work that is tedious.
      agreed! what are your thoughts on the cf items? too much?

Comment

Trevor, where are you getting your car repainted?
        1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

molding men!!! molding!!! and make sure they remove all molding before painting and put new one after but beware. a complete set of molding can easily cost you 500$ + tax + labour

but molding is the difference between a quality job and an average job.
          Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

I've painted 3 cars. (VW golf, 68 GMC and 03 lancer) If you can reuse the black molding, go ahead and remove it. If it cost way to much and yours are ok, then you can tape them. If you do it right (will take longer) it will work.
            03 lancer dead
            68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
            05 chevy silverado L33
            2010 crv Wife's ride
            1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

fix rust, wherever it is. If you or someone tells you there isn't any, they're lying.
              “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Originally posted by caliber676 View Post
                fix rust, wherever it is. If you or someone tells you there isn't any, they're lying.
                This! I plan on get my car patched and rust free after my build!

First priority!
                1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

great ideas guys. of course all of it makes sense. is there anything you wish you had done after a paint/body job?

Comment

Follow whatever instructions the body shops tells you. No pressure washing for at least 3 weeks. As well, the paint shouldn't be exposed to wax/liquid shine for a month.

^ those facts are based on if the car were painted with a Oem based solution (DuPont)
                    1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

Body shops today use water base paints to reduce cfm partical's in the air which really sucks for us body men and painters. Now if you have rust even if its the smallest bubble in the paint or full out rotting quarter panel cut out the rust and replace it with a nice piece. Even if you use high grade epoxy primer to cover up the rust, the rust will always come back whether its a week, month ect....

But i really cant stress this enough. Prep work is tedious, so when your doing so make sure any plastic filler you apply make sure theres no low or high spots after because it will become very noticable once you apply your paint. Also when your sanding down the body you dont leave any grooves or scratches and continue to use finer grit paper before primer.

Last but not least make sure you apply solvent onto your work so it removes all the grease that may make the primer/paint not want to stick when its being painted. Im pretty sure the body shop will be doing this before they spray.
                      92,94,95 Honda Civic
                      92,92,93 Nissan Skyine GTS-T
                      91 Nissan Skyline GTR
                      92,93 Nissan 180sx
                      90,91,91,92,93,93 Nissan 240sx
                      89 Nissan Silvia

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, it is being carried out at a private residence...... but its not what you think. it has a legitimate paint booth lol. not spray paint in some guys garage lol. i have decided to keep the oem pcs and only put on one of charles ab flug cf front lip/difuser. will post pics come april!

Comment

Can't wait to see your car.
                          Good luck

Comment

Working...
                          X