Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend Track Warriors, What is YOUR Tire of Choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Track Warriors, What is YOUR Tire of Choice?

I'm about to buy a set of tires for my R33. I'm looking at the usual suspects, Hankook RS3, Dunlop Z1 Star Specs, Kumho XS, and Yoko AD08s. I thought I had my mind made up on the AD08s in 285/30/18, but now I'm going back and forth between the 4 tires. I have Star Specs now. Wet traction is not a concern of mine as I hardly ever drive in the wet stuff. I'm just curious if anyone has first hand experience with these tires on their GTRs. If I buy the Yokos I'm buying them in 285/30/18 and they are $1700 shipped. The Kumho and Hankook are appealing at just under $1300 shipped (275/35/18 KXS and 285/35/18 RS3). The Star Specs come in around $1450 shipped for 275/35/18s. The AD08s beat out the Star Specs in Tire Rack's last comparison test of Extreme Performance tires. So, what do you use for tires and why do you like or dislike them?

1 vote for star specs. have not tested the others. was torn between star specs and ad08s when i bought.
    oh hai!

Comment

+1 for the AD08. Ive tryed the 07 and my buddy had 08. You'll never regrets them.

Comment

I would stay away from the d1 tires for sure. I had a set and man did they wear fast! If you tracked them you might get 2 hard seswoons out of them and they are gone. If your going for track use get a set of toyo r888's as I have seen them in action and are great for keeping you to the ground. Other than that I think the Yokohama tires you had mentioned will serve you best.
        Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

My dunlops have lasted 4 track days, Zdayz, and countless mountain drives. I really like them, but other options are equally appealing.

Comment

I ran Potenza RE01Rs for a few years and are moving to RE11s.

Sadly, I don't track, car isn't reliable So street terror only here...

Great tires none the less, they handle my $60k 300whp car no problem.
            Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
            Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
            Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
            Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
            Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
            White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
            lol

Comment

R888 - Ran through 2 sets and I won't buy them again. Expensive, grip up the wazoo but when they wore down grip really dropped off and light street driving made me feel like I was lighting my wallet on fire.

The RS3 is what I will be running at the track from now on. They are way cheaper than almost all other similar options (in my sizing). I found them to a great tire for a car that sees street with lots of track time. They didn't have r comp grip but still very good.

Star specs are also a great tire. When I had them I didn't do any lapping with them but they lasted longer than I had expected. I would put them as a tire LIKE the RS3 but more street friendly (can't comment on track grip personally)

Can't comment on the AD08 unfortunately. Have you looked at RE-11? Local track guys all tell me they are fantastic and worth the money due to a combination of grip&lifetime.

Comment

I have seen the RE11 but the widest they come is 265/35/17. I don't really want to put a narrower tire on my car. I guess I should have mentioned last trip to the dyno I put down 505AWHP And just over 420AWTQ.

Comment

I've been running 255/35/18 StarSpecs for 2 seasons. Several track days, several auto Xs, Several Time attacks (one FTD) and countless road trips.
                  A good friend and instructor at our local track who drives an '09 M3 (Semi-slicks on track days) says he's never seen a car with so much grip.
                  I'm buying them again this year.

Comment

Nitto NT-05. If your gonna use the same tires for street and track I can't say enough about these.

550WHP and a set lasts a full season (6+ lapping sessions) + driving daily. Better tires out there for a more aggressive lap time but so far these are the best hybrid of street and track I've used.
                    Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
                    hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

+1 for Star Specs on the GTR on the street and track.
                      I've run AD08's on the 335 including a fair bit of track time and like 'em fine. I'll be running them on the GTR next summer, but can't comment on that application yet.
                      Dan
                      sigpic
                      The Beaumont Connection

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I think for the cost I will stick with the Dunlops, unless someone thinks I'd be wiser to buy 285/35/18 Hankook RS3s

Next up is an ATTESA Controller.

Comment

i say Star Specs

i've had Azenis and AD07 in the past, nothing comes close to the SS as a full package

i've put 10,000km+ on my SS this year, including 3 laping days and 2 time attacks, and they still have at least 60% life left
                          and they are incredible in the rain
                          FYI my size is 265/40/17
                          sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

You DO NOT need a 285 tire. More than enough grip with a 255 or 265. You're just putting a pile of exta weight on the suspension that you don't need.

Comment

Having a good experience with my R888's in 255/40R17 so far. Plenty of grip when up to temp , just a little fussy about what pressure you run them. You can actually notice a few psi difference with these tires i've found. going to a Hoosier slick in 275/40R17 for my next set.

To guys who are having fast wear on the R888's, did you heat cycle them when they were new?

Comment

Working...
                              X