R32 turbos, rebuild or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R32 turbos, rebuild or no?

Just wondering if I should rebuild my turbos with steel wheels, or look for other ones, not really sure what would work best for me, I don't really wanna go crazy but would like to up the boost a little, or at Least not have to worry about them breaking.can't afford new ones but could spend a good chunk on a good set of used ones in or around Calgary,any input will b appreciated, I've read many threads on this but not sure what the numbers mean, or even which are bigger,lol

I've seen them rebuilt with the N1 kit that's available for under $400. I plan to do it myself as they are good for increased boost and maintaining responsiveness.

Comment

What turbos would they compare to I wonder

Comment

I'm planning to put a set of rebuilt stock turbos with steel wheels on my GTR tomorrow. I've heard they can be a bit laggy but I've never experienced it for myself. It depends on your budget and how much power you're looking to get but for a budget build I think rebuilt steel wheeled turbos are the way to go -- less than half the price of your next cheapest option (N1's).

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, a bit more lag than stock but just because the steel wheel, did u order the kit and do yourself? Which one did u go with?guessing it should be fairly easy to do.Wondering of it might b better to have them done somewhere, but like u said budget is key, mine is low, lol,

Comment

i have the same problem. i just cant decide to rebuild or not. my biggest problem is to find someone local to rebalance!!

Comment

they will need to be balanced i believe. In the same debate right now with mine. I want to stay twin but want top mount.

Comment

Ok, that's something else I was wondering about, I guess u rebuild them and then take em to get balanced?

Comment

Seems like the way to go to me...
                  Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Turbo Rebuild and N1 Upgrade Kit for Nissan R32 R33 GTR RB26 RB26DETT at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

i wonder if anyone has ever tried one of these kits without balancing the turbos afterwards

Comment

As the description states, the assembly is balanced so NO. Once assembled properly there is no requirement to balance again. As long as the manufacturer balanced the assembly, indexed the turbine and the compressor then they should be good. Each compressor and turbine has be paired together aswell.
                      Last edited by bobbo; 02-08-2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I saw they were balanced but not sure if u had to do it again after, idk, I'm probably just gonna rebuild and try em out

Comment

Just had a pair of R32s rebuilt to steel with all new parts minus a comp wheel. Parts came from Germany. Cost 1400 cash.
                          If you use all new OEM gaskets, crush washers, studs, nuts and mani washers. $500 give no take.
                          Garrett 2860R-? go for $2200 give or take
                          Tomei kit go for 3200 give or take. Includes all new gaskets, studs, crush washers, nuts and mani washers.
                          IMO if your on a budget rebuild em yourself or send em away. But if u have the money, get the Tomei's because it comes with all new everything u need for a clean reliable install.
                          Also its not an N1 upgrade unless you machine the housings because the wheels are bigger.

Comment

Working...
                          X