383 Swap Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 383 Swap Project

Hey guys so as you know I bought my r33 gtr less then two months ago and the engine needs a rebuild after the oil pump failed unfortunately the engine that I had intended on buying for the car is far out of my price range so I have come up with a project that should prove to be quite interesting. We have already ripped the engine and transmission out of the skyline and on order I currently have a chev 383 stroker with a tko 500 5 speed transmission and all of the goodies to go with it. Over the coming weeks we will be preparing the car for the swap and I will be posting the progress on this thread. We have already dropped a 350 that my father in law had lying around the yard in the bay so we know that space is not an issue, the two biggest issues will be having a driveshaft made and making sure the oil pan is going to go into place. Mounting and ect wont be a problem. So tell me what you think!

Not the first time I have seen a Chev engine in a Nissan. They had a Chev V8 in the 1968 R381 Lemans racecar.

Also read under "Nissan's early American connection" -

I was thinking CNC adaptor plate (engine to GTR gearbox), custom engine mounts and use a GTR drivetrain. Less work (speedo cable, driveshaft, etc) and have a 4wd V8. But Nissan actually has a 4wd V8 in the Nissan CIMA? that fits into 4wd chassis with some mods of engine mounts, etc (ask R.I.P.S in NZ, as they have done this conversion in a R32 GTS-4 chassis). The internals in Chevy V8's are said to fit in VH Nissan V8's, so they seem to be based off a Chevy engine.
    Last edited by Skym; 10-23-2013, 08:21 AM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Please sell R33 and buy a 80s Camaro.

R32.4 GTR

Comment

You are completely taking everything away from the GTR that makes it what it is and ending up with less HP.
        With that said an R33 with a twisted up small block would be pretty cool. Your car, your money, if that's what you want... Give 'er.
        (I'm guessing you use that term a lot).

Comment

A gtst shell that is a Frankenstein project sure. But a gtr.....iunno. I know in thought it seems like an easy task and not too expensive. But realistically you'd be much better off getting a used engine and dropping it in with no headache
          “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Actually bobbo I am seeing a horsepower and torque increase. 440 Horse and 450 torque and no headaches for me I have lots of friends with lots of talents trust me its going to be worth it in the end, plus try to find an rb26 at the moment, almost impossible. Every jdm site is out of stock.
            Last edited by anthonysmithr33gtr; 08-19-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Solid numbers for sure but mine made that with a boost controller, PFC and a tune.
              Out of curiosity what happened to your oil pump? I'm always curious to see what events lead to these failures to make sure I don't do the same.

Comment

It just came to its end I guess, stopped working and I didnt notice before it was too late. After some research I found out that the stock rb26 oil pump is garbage, prone to failing so my advice would be to upgrade to tomei or something.

Comment

Bobbo and I both run factory pumps *knock on wood*. The caveat is knowing the pump's running parameters and operational limits. But still, you can share we wont judge. You redlined it a couple times didn't you?
                  1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

It breaks (cracks the gears in oil pump) if bounce of the rev limiter (shifting to wrong gear). Seen one RB engine fail that way.

I would upgrade to a dry sump setup.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Never hit redline fortunately ;0 I am not even entirely sure what rev limiter is in the rb26? I never took it past 7000

Comment

Previous owner might have.
                        RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

turbocharged v8 i wonder how the turbos would do sizewise on the v8
                          understeer -is when you go off the road and see the tree that kills you
                          oversteer-is when you go off the road backwards and dont see the tree that kills you

Comment

Originally posted by anthony View Post
                            turbocharged v8 i wonder how the turbos would do sizewise on the v8

After spinning a bearing at Round 3 of Toyo Drift Australia, the boys at GT Autosound have decided on upping the stakes by building a 6.6lt LS2 TT to put in ...

Ls2 with stroker kit, twin turbo, etc, 681whp at 13psi.

VH45 nissan R32 skyline dyno tune figure was 360kw at wheels before dyno kept shutting down at 5000rpm this was on 7psi,tune is good for 10psi,excuse the cra...

Nissan 4.5 litre V8 with single turbo, 483whp at 7psi (good to 10psi). It ran a 10sec 1/4 mile (cheap 10 sec Skyline), snapped the halfshaft's on hub side with drag slicks. This car is on Nico forums in Nissan V8 section with photo's of the snapped halfshaft's.
                            Last edited by Skym; 08-20-2013, 08:46 PM.
                            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

nice videos
                              i assume the gtr turbos may be a bit small on the 383 which i think works out to 6.27 liters
                              understeer -is when you go off the road and see the tree that kills you
                              oversteer-is when you go off the road backwards and dont see the tree that kills you

Comment

Working...
                              X