stock internals or cp pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock internals or cp pistons

hey guys im new here and to gtr's and i was wondering if it would be worth it to put in new pistons or just put in stock ones i bought a r33 gtr and the person that owned it had blown up a turbo and it threw peaces in to the intake which took out 2 of the pistons i have a brand new block thinking about getting the engine balanced. i am only looking to run about 400-450 whp right now as i want something that i can get in and depend on every day but i would also like to have a bit of fun on the highway so my question is will i be fine with all stock parts and build it back to factory or should i put some money in the bottom end.
    all input will be very help full.a
    Thanks.

Keep it stock. I among many other GTRcers decided to modify things and that's where the failures and high costs started happening. Had I left it stock (and at 450whp it's fine) I'd be runnign today, after 3 years of not running.

Fort mac lol what a hole. Lots and lots and lots of money but it still leads down a miserable path in the end.
    No build thread.
    1991 nissan
    El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

stock is fine for 450whp but if its coming apart anyway id put some money in the bottom end incase you get bored which you will, it happens to us all.

Maybe I can visit you I'm planning on hitting the oil rigs soon, seems like a lot are in fort mac. Dont know anyone out there and ive heard of some depressing stories. Is it all that bad?

Comment

the stock pistons have a oil cooling crown / gallery which works with the stock oil squirters , this enables them to perform close to a forged piston that does not include this feature. The only aftermarket pistons with this feature are Tomei. I was reading about a time attack team using the stock cast pistons but doing a special coating / treating process on them to make them stronger. Has anybody heard of such a process for cast pistons?

Comment

Originally posted by RANTARAVE View Post
          I was reading about a time attack team using the stock cast pistons but doing a special coating / treating process on them to make them stronger. Has anybody heard of such a process for cast pistons?
          WPC treatment can be done on pretty much any engine component. I've heard of a few time attack teams using it and its not all that expensive. Biggest expense is shipping parts to Cali to get the treatment done.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that chunks of turbine made it through the intercooler but I guess anything a possible.
            I'd be checking the valve guides for pieces missing that tend to fall into the cylinders and damage the cylinder.
            As for pistons stock are good for 450.

Most piston failures are fuel related which usually points towards a lack of fuel system support for the boost being run.
            Favorites
            lucky_cefiro
            you\'re not listening
            entelijint
            stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
            mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
            Originally posted by specialedition
            He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

I was in mcmurray for 29 years and though I made just under 300k a year, I was broke my little house was 650k and cost nearly 4k a month (with tax and insurance). I left because I was about to lose my wife and kids because of my selfishness. The attitude there is very self centered but why wouldn't it be when a 1st year industrial apprentice can make $47/hr. golden handcuffs. You won't find a wife there but you will find money to no happy ending.

Wpc is great. Excluding shipping my internals (no head parts or block) cost $1,200 to wpc. Crank pistons, bearings. Shipping was around $400 more plus customs.
              Should last longer than a few years now I hope

Tomei pistons are the best but cost something like $2k compared to the $500 cp pistons (I have owned both). You start modding, rip your wallet open, then again, you have extra cash so maybe do it right and rebuild it all. Check out lucky gtr. For decent coin, he built a stock looking 1000hp car
              Last edited by Bruizer; 11-25-2013, 02:59 PM.
              No build thread.
              1991 nissan
              El terror

Comment

There have been more than a few examples of 100% stock motors making 700+ HP in the land of Aus. Granted that was on 116 octane race fuel and everything was bang on with the tune, but it's been done. Most of the motors went on to live in other cars as well. They can take a lot as long as you don't rev to high and bang it off the rev limiter or use a 2 step (anti-lag).

Jon.
                Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

thanks for all the info guys but yea it has to come apart any way and im going to be putting new turbos on it also. i am going to to a single turbo swap in a year or so but i just want to get it on the road running good and know that i can count on it every day for now.

Comment

Well, Good luck with a tuner/builder
                    No build thread.
                    1991 nissan
                    El terror

Comment

Just because a car was fine running stock over the rated HP dont mean it will happen to your car. Just like someone who is a heavy smoker never having cancer, while others have succumbed to cancer in a few short years.

Comment

Working...
                      X