Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subframe removal for R33 GTR

Hello,

Have a couple questions regarding removing the front and rear subframe on a R33 GTR.

1. Is there a DIY on this? Can't find this anywhere.

2. Does someone have the full R33 FSM? I can only find the engine manual. The only full FSM was for a R32 but I'd rather use the proper torque specs.

3. Is it possible to replace subframe & diff bushes with the subframe attached to the car? If no, what if the subframe is attached but the engine is out.

4. What should I look for in bushes? I am planning to buy the Driftworks solid aluminum bushes as of this moment but if anyone has a better suggestion, that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

If your running a daily driver get oem replacements or polyurethane. Solid aluminum is gonna be a nightmare for everyday.

The front does not have bushings, it's more of a oversized crossmember. The front is bolted straight to the frame.

The rear has 4 main bushings and 4 diff bushings. The diff bushings could probably be removed on vehicle with some elbow grease but the main bushings will call for removing the subframe completely.

To put it in simple terms of disassembly.
    1. Disconnect everything that will hold the subframe to the body except the 4 bolts. Remove ebrake linkage, disconnect rear brake lines from body to subframe (you will have to bleed brakes after), disconnect lines to transmission from attessa unit or try to disconnect from diff as one unit, disconnect drive shaft, disconnect electrical connectors for wheel speed sensors and attessa unit and remove struts.

2. once everything is disconnected except for the main bolts you have to find a way to lower the subframe as an assembly. I use a pallet jack. Whatever you use you just support the subframe and then undo the main bolts and lower it down as an assembly.

I like to remove as little as possible, but some guys remove both sides of the suspension and diff separately then lower the bare subframe down but I find that too much work,
    “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Originally posted by albertm7 View Post
      Hello,

Have a couple questions regarding removing the front and rear subframe on a R33 GTR.

1. Is there a DIY on this? Can't find this anywhere.

2. Does someone have the full R33 FSM? I can only find the engine manual. The only full FSM was for a R32 but I'd rather use the proper torque specs.

3. Is it possible to replace subframe & diff bushes with the subframe attached to the car? If no, what if the subframe is attached but the engine is out.

4. What should I look for in bushes? I am planning to buy the Driftworks solid aluminum bushes as of this moment but if anyone has a better suggestion, that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.
      I did my subframe bushings without removing it, just dropped it using transmission jacks
      Have to slant the subframe angle with the stands to work on the rear bushes. Air hammer needed to drive out the old bushings
      Drop new bushings in and then change the angle using the stands to access the fronts
      Pain in the ass job and lots of fidgeting and anger but it can be done
      I didn't even remove the brake lines. If I had, would have been easier
      R33 GTST RB25DET series 1
      Stock motor, holset HX40, power fc d-jetro, bolt ons, 20psi = 492rwhp 364 lbft

Comment

What did you guys use for torque specs?

Comment

Originally posted by albertm7 View Post
          What did you guys use for torque specs?
          Elbow grease
          R33 GTST RB25DET series 1
          Stock motor, holset HX40, power fc d-jetro, bolt ons, 20psi = 492rwhp 364 lbft

Comment

Sorry to bring thread back from the dead but this was for rear subframe right? For front I just need to lower it down so I can get to the crank to see which big end bearing a spun. My friend was telling me it was pretty easy only 8 bolts and should drop straight down? Is this correct? I don't need to take it all the way out either right just lower it enough to get to the crank?

Comment

Working...
            X