Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear oil coming out of shifter at higher speeds??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear oil coming out of shifter at higher speeds??

Hey guys, anybody else have this issue before? I have my center console taken apart so I can see the transmission and base of the shifter. Whenever I'm at higher speeds (100km+) Gear oil starts bubbling and pouring out of the shifter hole. (NO ITS NOT OVERFILLED) Almost f**ked up my transmission the other week going on a 3 hour road trip with a buddy. Got home and there was under 1/4 L of oil left in it. Any advice would be great, can even get a video if anybody needs.

Also since the road trip and the transmission emptying itself, I have a whining noise that gets higher pitched to my rpms. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th gear all have the same noise. It still shifts fine, no slipping, just that noise.

Thanks!

I'm guessing the boot is torn. I had a small tear in mine leading to a small amount of oil being sprayed under the car.
    I simply replaced the boot to solve the problem.

Comment

The shifter hole is actually transfer case fluid, not gear oil so you were down to 1/4 on your transfer case then?

Seems weird anyway.
      No build thread.
      1991 nissan
      El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

I would check the breather, if there is one, for blockage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are vent tunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruizer View Post
            The shifter hole is actually transfer case fluid, not gear oil so you were down to 1/4 on your transfer case then?

Seems weird anyway.
            I also read that its supposed to be transfer case fluid too. I checked the transfer case and it was full. Transmission had 1/4 oil left. My boot is torn bit, but seems it seems weird that much would come out. I'm ordering the nismo baffle plate and a new boot for it anyways even if the vent tubes are blocked.

Ill check the vent tubes. Is there an easy way to check them or is it going to be a bitch? Haha

Thanks for the quick responses.

Comment

They run along the drivers side of the trans and end at the engine side of the bell housing. It won't be hard assuming you can get under your car.

Comment

Your gear fluid is not coming from the shifter boot. I'd be surprised if you lost 5L through the vent hole but its not coming from the shifter unless the previous owner used the same fluid in the transfer case haha. Some people think filling the transmission can be done through the shifter....
                No build thread.
                1991 nissan
                El terror

Comment

It's possible you are leaking tranny fluid into your transfer case and the added oil is coming out the shifter. You will have to look for mixed oil or better yet add a dye packet to the tranny fluid side and drive. If it's in the transfer case then you know the seals are shot, or you may find it coming out from somewhere else
                  “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Originally posted by Bruizer View Post
                    Your gear fluid is not coming from the shifter boot. I'd be surprised if you lost 5L through the vent hole but its not coming from the shifter unless the previous owner used the same fluid in the transfer case haha. Some people think filling the transmission can be done through the shifter....

I know what you're saying. But my question is why would my transfer case still be full of ATF and my transmission has little to no gear oil in it at all? I can see the royal purple pissing out of the shifter at higher speeds as I have my center console torn apart.

Comment

You're getting Venturi action because your breather is clogged and Venturi sucking out oil through the shifter because the tranny is splash lubricated ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ShayMk View Post
                        I know what you're saying. But my question is why would my transfer case still be full of ATF and my transmission has little to no gear oil in it at all? I can see the royal purple pissing out of the shifter at higher speeds as I have my center console torn apart.
                        If you're seeing TRANSMISSION fluid coming out of your shifter when the TRANSFER CASE (with different fluid) is part of that shifter section and both are separated by 2 different housings, gaskets and a shaft seal, even if you had no seal between the 2, you'd expect them to:
                        Mix fluids or both have the same level give or take.
                        I don't see how you would see transmission fluid coming out of your shifter unless your transfer case has transmission fluid in it and therefore your actually pissing out from the transfer case and you have a different problem with your transmission.

I have my transmission and transfer separated at the moment if you need pics to help understand what I mean.

For now, maybe top it up and keep an eye on it to see what happens.
                        No build thread.
                        1991 nissan
                        El terror

Comment

Working...
                        X