Did I pop my N1 Turbos?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I pop my N1 Turbos?!?

It appears as though I'm pushing a fair amount of oil out of one or both of my R34 N1 turbos. I'm seeing oil leaking out of the charge pipe going into the oil cooler and some evidance from the vacuum lines under the intake manifold.
    I've been using the PFC display to indicate boost pressure and was running an indicated 1.16 mmhg and while I was at the track running 98 octane I increased boost to 1.20 mmhg but got creep up to 1.28.
    There was no detonation and my 555cc injector duty cycle never exceeded 90%.
    I converted the stupid mmhg to bar and to PSI and I can't conceive how I could've been running that much boost on a stock pump without running out of fuel or getting detonation.
    Thoughts?

pfc doesn't display as mmhg in boost, it kg/cm2 it equivalent to bar....so your boost pike at 18psi not 24!

Comment

And 20psi is about as far as I would go with those turbos without meth or running on E85. Heat kills.

But in the end, turbos get tired...even if you were running it at 10psi they still have a lifespan, some go further than others. The great thing is that a rebuild is going to be cheaper because you don't have to get new turbines.

Jon.
      Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Assuming the turbos were new as I was told they were (and they appeared to be) they would only have maybe 5000 kms on them.
        Also the the settings for boost are in kg/cm2 but display is in mmhg.

Comment

I've heard of this happen to a guy who had bb turbos without oil restrictors and blew the seals in the first season. Not sure if yours are thrust or BB.
          No build thread.
          1991 nissan
          El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Solid point. Mine are BB and I can't remember specifics but I did have oem R34 snails in the car when I bought it so kept the same oil plumbing. I THINK I should've been ok there.
            Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

I'd check and see if you have restrictors, would be a good place to start... Will be in your oil feed lines.

Worse case you'll need new turbos. All up hill otherwise! rebuild kits are what, $100 each + labour?
              No build thread.
              1991 nissan
              El terror

Comment

Where do you get the rebuild kits for these turbos? Just curious as I have a set myself which I've been running at the stock 10psi for the last little bit, but am about to turn it up to about 20.

Just in case I need it...

Comment

I know the 6.5L ford turbo rebuild kit is $140, the 6L turbo is $105 and that's a garrett turbo. If it's not a dinosaur turbo, it should be available at the factory and under $100+ shipping.
                  No build thread.
                  1991 nissan
                  El terror

Comment

I got a rebuild kit for my twin stock turbo bnr32 with an inconel steel wheel instead of ceramic and the full kit with thrust 360 bearing ... I got it from the ebay australia and it cost about 250-300 for the kit if i remember

Comment

Nice. That's not a bad price at all. You rebuild them yourself as well?

Comment

Yeah i did it mysel its pretty stepforward just take a look at everything you remove and put the exact same thing at the same place from thenew kit .... You just need to go to a turbo shop to balance it

Comment

Working...
                        X