No announcement yet.

Coil pack related misfires under boost, and what to do to fix and prevent this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil pack related misfires under boost, and what to do to fix and prevent this

I'm sure most of you have seen this video but this is a great help anyways:

This covers the how to fix a simple misfire due to just plain old age of the car, things getting dirty etc.

If you're getting a nasty misfire coming onto boost, this will be a good place to start^

I was having a misfire throughout my rpm range a few weeks after my rebuild, and I diagnosed by:

Starting the vehicle in neutral with e brake applied
    Unplugging each coil pack individually (plugging back in each before checking the next) to determine if one coil pack was dead.
    Sure enough, I found cylinder 4 to be faulty. It had no change in idle when I unplugged it, meaning no spark was present before or after. After a coil starts to misfire it is only a matter of time before the spark plug gets clogged with unburnt fuel and such, then doesn't work at all.

After swapping out a coil from my other RB26 and cleaning the plug up with a wire brush and electric cleaner, she fired right up, boosted nicely, then proceeded to melt all 6 pistons, but that's unrelated lol.

What other ways have you guys diagnosed poor/dead coils and how did you fix them? I believe most situations don't require you to completely replace your coil(s) when they could be just getting old and in need of a little TLC.

That being said, I know a lot of you swear by different aftermarket coil brands, and since I work at GM, I will be giving LS7 coil packs a shot once they get in.
    Just give it a couple hundred kilometers. It'll shoot you right in the wallet.

Originally posted by Stardust
    Fixed it for ya lol. Thats all you needed to post on the subject

Ls2 work good aswell? haha
    Just give it a couple hundred kilometers. It'll shoot you right in the wallet.

Comment

Comment

How are you guys mounting the coil mounting plate for the ls2 coil packs to the plastic cover of the fuel injector wires? Double sided tape? Looking for mounting ideas.

Comment

Working...
        X