Single turbo it is .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single turbo it is .

Hey guys iv decided its time to go single turbo im looking at purchasing turbonetic hurricane benita jounal bearing.
    any body using this turbo in the 26 ? if so how responsive is it ? my biggest fear is not to have an responsive car once i go single, im even willing to shed the xtra few 100 to get the ball bearing version of this turbo. any inputs would be greats guys. cheers

I don't know anything about this turbo, and i'm currently running n1(pretty much same size as stockers), so my input is probably not valid.
    If you want response go for the BB turbos. They should spool up faster, and once spooled will keep spinning longer so easier to keep on boost. Someone can tell me I'm an idiot if they want I don't actually know what I'm talking about this is just based on physics. Less resistance on ballbearing than thrust bearing.

Comment

I'm confident that you are correct.
      The first time I got my car tuned (Robin @Almasi) as soon as shut the car off he suspected I did not have stock R32 turbos because of how long they free wheeled for. The same was said by Imation (another member on here).
      The dyno graph supported Robins suspicion. He said R34 turbos come on quicker because of the BBs.
      When I pulled by turbos to upgrade sure enough they were R34 BB turbos.
      Moral of the story is BBs FTW. With that said they require less oil flow than the bushing type so oil restrictor are required.

Comment

I think affect's transient response. On paper (graphs showing spool time in Msec?) there's a difference, but I don't think you would notice it too much when driving.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

It could make a difference of 1k-500 rpm though. Means you're on boost sooner and go quicker. Ofcourse thats only necessary for launch. Afterwards you pretty much always shift on boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
            I think affect's transient response. On paper (graphs showing spool time in Msec?) there's a difference, but I don't think you would notice it too much when driving.
            You wouldnt notice anything. When you are in the thick of it and driving angry you know by the music going on under the hood where you need to be. Your too busy looking where you are going to look at the tach. I have this Ginormous Defi mounted on the dash...I never look at it. The only thing a BB turbo is good for is to spool up from dead quicker when you screw up and let it fall out of spool. Thats never an issue if you are on top of things.

Jon.
            Last edited by Dragon Humper; 08-17-2014, 12:29 AM.
            Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

if the turbos spin up faster on Ball bearings because of a lack of friction they would indeed spin down faster for the same reason , a turbo that spools up slower slows down slower , this is inertia and you cant have one without the matching opposite .

Comment

Originally posted by cortexx View Post
                if the turbos spin up faster on Ball bearings because of a lack of friction they would indeed spin down faster for the same reason , a turbo that spools up slower slows down slower , this is inertia and you cant have one without the matching opposite .

You are forgetting that objects in motion want to stay in motion unless acted on by another force. In this case the lower amount of friction in the ball bearing turbo will allow the compressor wheel in the ball bearing turbo to keep spinning longer than the journal bearing turbo. Im sure there are plenty of equations involved but a simple side by side spin test of a journal vs BB turbo will show that the BB turbo spins for alot longer after the force is removed

Comment

Originally posted by cortexx View Post
                  dats wrong yo
                  oh hai!

Comment

Originally posted by rvander1992 View Post
                    It could make a difference of 1k-500 rpm though. Means you're on boost sooner and go quicker. Ofcourse thats only necessary for launch. Afterwards you pretty much always shift on boost.
                    I have changed from ballbearing to sleeve (Also a slight change in exhaust wheel size and A/R of housing to suit) and never noticed much difference in spool (300rpm difference to full boost, which most likely would be because of the bigger exhaust wheel, A/R of housing), except in the transient response area where I did notice a difference. That's running the same mods, tune, etc, so there's no other variables to affect the result.
                    Last edited by Skym; 08-22-2014, 10:38 PM.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

We'll Boys after even talking over with an tech at turbonetic over and over the price difference of almost 400$ for the bb version of that turbo was not worth it for an car I'm gonna be using for street . Instead he made me go with an smaller ar that will b abit more responsive but still b able to pump 600 horses. Should be getting it by Tuesday and it's also twin scroll hopefully it's gonna help in spool time.

Comment

Twin scroll is always the ticket. You wont be dissapointed.

Jon.
                        Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Perfect sir happy to hear that specially from you .

Comment

What exhaust manifold are you going with? To take full advantage of twin-scroll you'll need a twin-scroll manifold.

Comment

Yea I have old school hk twin scroll exhaust manifold. Cool manifold brings the turbo all the way to the front

Comment

Working...
                              X