Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam angle sensor question

I'm new to RB26.
    I keep buying a Cam angle sensor and I keep making mistakes.
    My cam has a slotted type and the vendors keep sending me the keyed star type.
    Since i don't know the RB engine year I got, can anyone tell me if I have R32 - R33 - R34 ?

Is there other slotted CAS I can cross reference with other cars? say Mitsubishi ? Z32 ?

Thank you

R32 and R33 RB26 used the Mitsubishi CAS (Mitsubishi logo in middle of CAS). R34 RB26 used the Hitachi CAS.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Thank you !

Comment

Is there any other Mitsubishi CAS from other car I can use (cross reference) ???

Comment

You're welcome.

Series 1 R33 RB25DET, R32 RB20DET, R32, R33 RB26DETT use the same Mitsubishi CAS and ignition system (coilpacks, ignition module, CAS, etc), except I think coilpack loom that's slightly different (length?) on RB26.

The Nissan part number for CAS is etched on the CAS housing. Use Nissan Fast (part number software) that Nissan dealership part departments have to cross reference to another model of Nissan.

The stock CAS is rebuildable. What fails is the 2x bearings (one infront and one rear of sensor part) due to age. The bearings can drag and cause the CAS to go out of sync triggering the CAS error code on ECU (or if engine stumbles it might trigger the CAS error code on ECU). Rarely is the electronic donut / sensor part at fault.

Just need to remove the locking pin on shaft, part that engages front of cam (angle grinder or similar to cut the weld holding the locking pin in), remove the CAS housing (can see the NTN bearing in the middle) via few screws and use a bearing puller to remove the NTN brand bearing from shaft (part number, make (NTN) for bearing should be on the side of the bearing). Usually can pop the side of bearings and replace the cartridge of ball bearings inside (you can with R32 aircon pump bearings).

Reassembly is the reverse (can use a vice or similar bearing press, bit of hollow pipe to slowly push bearing evenly back onto shaft) and can spot weld locking pin in place.

I remember there is how to on pulling CAS apart on AEM forum to replace the trigger disc with a AEM trigger disc.

Probably can buy the bearings from a local NTN bearing supplier -

At NTN Bearing Corp., we manufacture and supply the most comprehensive range of ball bearings and other industrial and automotive equipment.

Donut part is harder to find, but I believe they make it in Taiwan.
          Last edited by Skym; 09-30-2014, 09:02 AM.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Thanks again Sky,
            I like how you described fixing a broken bearing in the cas.
            Unfortunately, I don't have a CAS when I acquired the engine for a project.
            This is the reason I was asking a CAS cross reference. But now I know from your response. thx

Comment

You're welcome.

Oh, I see.

Also the part that enages the cam might be different on RB26 vs GTS CAS. Why, as the GTR (RB26) has solid lifter cams vs GTS with hydraulic lifter cams (RB25, RB20).
              Last edited by Skym; 09-30-2014, 09:11 AM.
              RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
              X