Possible blown turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible blown turbo?

Hey guys, I have a fairly stock 91 gtr. I have been putting some km on it lately and got a little too happy with it tonight. I did a full throttle pull but was shifting at about 5k not banging it off the limiter. I then slowed down after I was satisfied, had no issues until I came to a hill. Where under throttle I would hover just above 0 on the boost gauge and I would have mad turbo shuffle. I geared down until I could boost past the shuffle. When in boost though I am down on power, I can only boost to about half of what I could before (+4 on gauge). The car drives fine besides, no white or black smoke. I jumped out immediately to check and didn't notice anything. So do you guys think I have a progressively loose turbo pipe somewhere, or do you think one of my wheels has chipped or come off? I figured it could also be a bad maf. My boost restrictor is removed, I am pushing the max boost on stock ceramics
    Thanks !

Definately check your charge pipes.
    Don't let all the horror stories you read make you paranoid and start assuming the worst.
    Last edited by bobbo; 06-19-2015, 05:27 AM.

Comment

well i took the car for a drive today and it appears to be back to normal. So i am thinking its a loose charge pipe Bobbo. Probably the heat we had yesterday combined with the heat in the bay made the rubber supple enough to break the seal when in boost. Now that its cooled off and stiff its sealing well. Sound kind of correct haha?

Comment

Heat? Where in NS are you?!?
        I wouldn't religh on that theory but would still check your hose clamps.
        Your temp sensor might be failing. That can cause the ecu to pull boost... or so I've read.

Comment

The turbo shuffle sounds like a balance issue, hence the divorce pipe most gtr guys get which helps. The cause could be 100 different things but usually shuffle is between the two turbos fighting a pressure differential.
          Check the wastegate actuators and vacuum lines feeding your turbos. If one wastegate is bad one turbo may be fighting the other when everything is hot causing the shuffle.
          Turbos may be fine if she's working good now in a colder state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Come on lotto!!! Daddy needs a whole lotta stuff!

Comment

Invest in a A/F ratio meter if you don't already have one. AEM makes a decent one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            1993 GTR
            1992 GTS-T Type - M (Sold)

Comment

Working...
            X