Me and my R33

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and my R33

Hey guys I decided to do a write up on my gtr since I'm going to take a break from it for a while for more important things . I bought it when I was 18 in August 2013.* The car had 120k and was all stock even with the boost restrictor aside from an hks silent hipower cat back. The interior was in great shape but the paint on the roof and hood and trunk doesn't have much clear left but the rest of the paint is ok accept the front lip. The car had a slight sputter which I was almost certain was the coil packs. I had split fires from my old gtst that were almost new so I changed them and it fixed that right up. I knew I wanted something fast but I knew it was a gtr and that's alot of money. So i started cheap and took the spare tire out, jack, cut the res out and welded a pipe in to try and get it a bit louder. Also got an air fuel guage and Manual boost controller but the cheap ended there haha. Thankfully I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have a garage and tools so I started saving my pennies ! I ended up starting my build in winter 2013-2014 with Hsd coil overs, a Mishimoto rad and a new fan for the clutch fan courtesy of the rich gf at the time for Christmas haha also keeping my large power goals in mind I got an aem ems 2, switched to a 3.5 bar map sensor and turbo smart race port blow off valve on greddy piping, also found a larger intercooler to go with that . Maintenence is good so I changed all the fluids, plugs and did a new timing belt and tensioners while I was there I got rid of the a/c that never worked.* The clutch was oem and barely finished the summer after a couple launches so I went with a os tsbd2 . I found a set of used xd9s which I didn't know too much about sizing but they seemed ok and I needed a spacer up front so I did it. They sat as a coffee table all winter and come summer I had to run a 35mm spacer.. wasn't happy but when you don't know about wheel sizing and you just buy them cause they're nice it doesn't end the best. They ended up looking nice on the car and it still performed well (never lost a wheel). I then come spring had the car dyno tuned by Danny at speed factor and it made 349 hp 275 tq @14 psi controlled with a* manual turbosmart boost controller* . I enjoyed the car all summer it was great, got lots of positive opinions at the local shows i went to and met tons of new friends! Winter 2014-2015 was pretty calm as the next step to go fast is lots of dollars so all I really did other than standard maintenence was replaced a ripped cv boot . In the next summer a friend had a set of Tomei arms turbos forsale with only 5k on them for a friendly price so I knew I was going fast next summer. Winter 2015-2016 comes along and I been seeing so many clean cool engine bays where it looks like it's just sitting there with nothing else to make it work and then I knew I wanted to hide everything I could in my engine bay and that's what I was going to do too. So I started with the Coolant resivoir and bought a Mishimoto resivoir and put it behind the rad under the cradle . I don't drive my car in rain so I got rid of the washer fluid entirely . Took the wiring harness that runs through the bay and extended it and Ran it through the fenders and under the rad cradle. Due to the new ID1000 injectors I was able to get rid of the resistor. Some more parts i ended up doing were aem water meth with failsafe, Tomei type b Poncams, Tomei metal head gasket set, Arp head studs, Tomei fuel rail, DW 300 fuel pump, Aeromotive FPR, aem tru boost solenoid connected to the ecu, Tomei dump pipes and Fujitsubo equal length down pipe. Once I pulled the motor I noticed the abs wasn't too nice to look at so I got a kit from gk tech and got rid of all the abs. Then i had started taking the engine apart, I sent the head to make sure it was flat and all was good. Got that back put it on , got the new turbos on etc. Then i thought i should come up with a color scheme and seeing how I had white wheels a white brakes,valve cover,coil cover, cam gears cover and twin turbo pipe would look fitting. Then once I got the motor back in I really had to get rid of that fuse box. As impossible as I thought it was I started to it. Depinning the box and then getting rid of relays and fuses I didn't need like the wiring and connector for a sunroof and a/c. Found how many spots I needed for fuses and relays and decided to use a 240sx fuse box. Extended all the wiring to in behind the front crash bar and mounted it there. Before mounting I sealed all the holes with a black glue used to install Windows and sealed up all around the wires entering the box. When going to start the car for the first time there was a couple minor issues but it was revolved in a couple hours and it started for the first time I was never more excited haha. Couple monthes later when spring came I took the car to get tuned and I wasn't ready to hear anything shy of 500 whp. Thankfully in the end it came out at 551 hp 418 tq @22 psi. I was so happy when i heard it and never drove a car so fast in my life. I couldn't be happier that whole summer was a blast but every time I drive the car I get a nervous feeling of could it blow up here or will I lose third gear today. Summer 2017 is now here and I decided to do a bit of sinning to the gtr community and put my car on air ride. There's no good race tracks in manitoba and there sure isn't a street without a pothole so the best idea was air ride. I ended up going with a 3h system because the cars are really heavy in the front and it's a much more accurate system then pressure based. D2 struts with 32 way dampening and 2 444c viair compressors and 2 3 gallon tanks so I can hide them where the spare tire went.* Also decided this winter I'm going to finish cleaning up my engine bay. Since I had not much left in my bay I figured I would pull the engine so it'd be easier. The first time I pulled the motor was the first time in my life I had done that* (great car to learn on..) it took 9 hours , this winter took me 4.5 so that was cool. So I bought some braided loom and re loomed every visible wire so it looks a bit more up to date. Changed up how I had some wiring and added a actual jumper terminal under the hood instead of the bolt I had previously after removing the fuse box. Got a new power steering reservoir and put it beside the rad, garage defend cooling panel, greddy intake piping and some dba slotted rotors. Also ordered some ssr sp3 wheels that are yet to get here. It's January 2017 as I decide to write this and I'm currently just in need of fluids to fire the car back up make sure it still runs and waiting on a power steering reservoir , press in valve cover fittings and a new vibrant baffled* catch can . Also yet to finish wiring the air ride but it is plumbed and fitted with white tanks on a temporary black plate I made. I'll update this as I remember but until then I hope everyone enjoys my write up. It's incredible how much I've learned and the people I've met and I shall continue to do what I enjoy with my car! Not building it for anyone but me! I aspire to have 1xxx hp one day as I'm sure everyone else does haha, thanks for reading!
    Last edited by skylinebeginner; 01-29-2017, 04:38 PM.

Unfortunately it says all my pictures are not posting so this may just leave you thinking this didn't happen haha

Comment

Working...
    X