Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Veilside Evolution Skyline GT-R - 502whp

Hi guys,

Here is our (our as in me and my spouse, we are co-owners) project car. This is a special edition GT-R tuned by Veilside at their garage. Most of the work you see was done by them. After the car landed, we fixed a few things and we made sure that everything was A-1 before we do any serious driving. After almost 1 year of babysitting this GT-R and making sure everything is solid, we took it to a dyno. The result is 502whp @ 8000 rpm on 16psi of boost. All this on pump gas of course.

Modifications

Engine
    2x Top mounted IHI RX5 turbos
    2x External HKS S/S Racing wastegates
    HKS Race Cams (IN66° lift 9.5 EX68° lift 9.5)
    HKS adjustable Cam gears
    N1 pistons
    N1 pumps
    Bosch 660cc injectors
    Splitfire Coils pack
    Metal head gasket
    NISMO fuel pressure regulator
    HKS oil filter relocation kit
    HKS GT intercooler
    HKS blow off valve
    Twin-plate OS Giken clutch
    Fujitsubo Super Legalis R Stainless Steel exhaust
    Polished intake manifold
    Cusco aluminum catch-can

Electronics
    GReddy boost meter
    HKS turbo timer
    HKS electronic boost controller
    HKS VPC
    Omori gauges (exhaust temp - water temperature - oil temperature - oil pressure)
    Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor
    NISMO 260km/h cluster
    Almasi Tuned ECU [Replacing HKS PFC F-CON]

Handling
    Gab suspension
    Cusco strut tower brace
    Sway bars
    Full Roll Cage
    Desmond Regamaster wheels

Dyno sheets
    Note: Numbers done on a Dynapack in rear wheel drive mode on a hot, humid day
    Flywheel HP vs Flywheel TQ (computed using a 1.18 ratio)

Wheel HP vs Boost (PSI)

AFR vs Wheel HP (AFR is off. 12.5 is actually 11.8, so the entire scale needs to be lowered by 0.7)

Pictures (Not so great, will work on that!)

Front

Side, displaying Veilside original graphics

Engine Bay

Top mounted turbos
    Last edited by ladou; 05-18-2011, 08:31 AM.
    1990 Veilside Edition Skyline GT-R

was this on an engine dyno? other wise most roller dyno`s say it is flywheel, but there really isnt a full proove way to determine critical drive train loss...

do you have any pictures of the car>? seems like a beauty

Comment

This was done on a dynapack, flywheel power was calculated with a ratio of 1.18. Real number was 502whp. I'll add some pictures of the car a bit later. We are also shooting a TV show next Monday (should be aired sometime this Fall), so there will be, eventually, a possibility to see the car in action.

Comment

Very nice! How are those RX5s in terms of reaching full boost? And post some pics of the car itself when you get the chance.
        2012 Deep Pearl Blue Black Edition GT-R

Some say my teeth glow in the dark...
        And that if you tune your radio to 88.4 FM you can actually hear my thoughts...

All we know is, I'm called The Stig

Comment

damn..
          All parts sold are no refund/exchange

Honda tuning is a LifeStyle
          Nissan tuning is to go stupid FAST !

Goals for 2013
          Get the dAmn thing rUnning

Comment

any pics of this beast?
            RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
            http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
            1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

Added remaining dyno sheets, and re-formated the main post. Pictures of the car will be posted soon. Sorry, I'm just too busy with work and stuff.... :x

Edit: Anyone can tell me why the dyno images are not being displayed? I can only see the link, but can' embed the image inside the post...

Comment

Nice....I remember the RX-5's from way back in the day. FYI, they are essentially IHI VF23s. If that dyno's AFRs are reading correctly, that is one LEAN machine. I recommend you have it retuned if you want that engine to stay together.
                Eric Hsu
                motoIQ.com

Comment

Is it lean up to 3000 rpms and then acceptable after that?
                  It appears to be a couple of points below stoichiometric after it hits 3300 rpms. Or should they be targeting closer to the low 11's for AFR?
                  Thank you for the tutorial.
                  Cheers!

Comment

Thanks for your observations Xsdailo. I'm having issues finding good documentation on these turbos. I'll look for this new name VF23.

As for the AFR, when we did tune the engine, we were aware that the O2 sensor was reading leaner than what it should be. I don't have exact numbers on the actual difference, but I'll ask. It was done using an Innovate probe (which is essentially a Bosch one).

If I can ask, what kind of AFR were you expecting? I'd like to get your opinion since I run a wideband in the car (different from the one that we used on the dyno) and I'll do a comparaison between the numbers I see on my gauge and what's on the dyno chart... If I can get the data logging working....

Comment

Every engine tuner has his/her own way of tuning an engine. Or I should say experienced tuner. A common misconception on seemingly all forums is that there is an exact AFR that a certain engine should be tuned to (e.g. RB26 = 11.5 a/f, 4G63 = 11.5 a/f, etc). There is however a threshold where one could call an engine "safe" or unsafe on pump gas though. I would say the AFRs on an engine like that should be at the very leanest, 11.5 at or near redline. That dyno graph shows about 12.6 - a definite recipe for a meltdown.
                      Eric Hsu
                      motoIQ.com

Comment

Hi Eric, I'm Ladou 's spouse.

I took the car this morning to go to work and I got the following readings on the wideband guauge.(I was the only person in the car so I did the readings the best I could). So, at idle, AFR ranged somewhere between 12.5 and 14.5. Then at constant steady acceleration (not WOT though), it ranged from 12.5 - 11.5 and sometimes going even reaching 10.9 as the rpms got hirer. During compression, it would range somewhere between 14.5 - 16.5 and sometimes going lower. Another thing I noticed was that after deceleration using compression,it took a couple of seconds of acceleration for the readings to go from the 14.5-16.5 to the 12.5-11.5- (that was at low rpms before the boost starts to pick up). Didn't get the chance to read at WOT, being the only one in the car and caught in morning traffic.

Thanks.
                        Mel

Comment

Well at part throttle, AFRs are a lot more flexible. It's more critical that the AFRs and timing are set correctly at WOT.
                          Eric Hsu
                          motoIQ.com

Comment

Edit: AFR scaling has been resolved. 12.5 is actually 11.8 in reality since the wideband was off. So the entire AFR scale needs to be lowered by 0.7!

Comment

Here's a car for everyone to aspire to.

Comment

Working...
                              X