Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTR RWD Switch. Choose between AWD and RWD with this simple setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTR RWD Switch. Choose between AWD and RWD with this simple setup.

Here I've illustrated the process of making the dream of RWD power, reality. no need to thank me. enjoy...

items needed in order to DO-IT-RIGHT
    -wire stripper/ crimp tool
    -16 gauge wire
    -Type 10 fuse tap
    -Male quick connectors
    -Female quick connectors
    -a type 10, 10amp fuse (OEM)
    -a sick looking nitrous switch or any rocker will do.
    (optional)-heat shrink or electrical tape

OEM english translated fuse panel

we are going to want to tap into the "AWD" fuse located on the far top left of the panel.

to do so we will use our fuse tap

make sure once your custom switch loom is complete, you don't eliminate the original fuse, its easy to incorporate it into your new setup, in-line, like this

after you have completed this sick, one of a kind loom, you can add your every day run-of-the-mill nitrous switch to top it all off.

IMPORTANT!!! make sure when you install the female connectors onto the switch you place them in such a manner that they will always be ON and when you want RWD you will open the cover and move the switch into OFF position. Normally switched work the other way around (normally OFF ~ switch to engage), so be careful. you want normally ON ~ Switch to DISengage.

DO NOT USE THE SWITCH WHILE IN MOTION!!!!! STOP YOUR VEHICLE AND THEN SWITCH THE RWD/AWD ON OR OFF. It is possible to switch it from RWD back to AWD while in motion, although it will not actually do so until you have come to a complete stop for a few seconds.

once completed, this is the fuse panel.

and the completed loom

*update*
    Some of the guides for this modification say to remove the fuse within the engine bay although this fuse in particular is used for the 4WD AND the PTC heater which stands for Positive Thermal Coefficient, which basically is your "rear window defroster" as well as the windshield also has a heating wire which will not work if the engine bay fuse is removed.
    *update*

Enjoy!
    Last edited by 550HPTrojan; 03-22-2011, 11:52 PM. Reason: updates
    OO)______(OO

1991 Skyline GTR R32
    Gun Metal
    PT6265 single turbo build
    640AWHP @ 22psi 8700rpm on a mustang dyno w/ methanol
    All forged internals RB26, just the crank is stock.
    Stock Tranny, will soon die :P

I`m pretty sure i read on here that it is better to pull the fuse located in the engine bay? could be wrong tho!
    1993 Nissan R32 GTR

Comment

wrong section man
      gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

Very nice write up! This will be very useful for lots of people. I would definitely try this out if I wasn't getting a Skylab controller.

Thanks for taking the time to do the right up!

ps if I may add, Taking the fuse under the hood out will also disable ABS. I know this because I tried both ways and "4WD" "ABS" lights came on.
        Last edited by bellis_GTR; 03-24-2011, 02:50 PM.
        Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

Originally posted by bellis_GTR View Post
          Very nice write up! This will be very useful for lots of people. I would definitely try this out if I wasn't getting a Skylab controller.

Thanks for taking the time to do the right up!

ps if I may add, Taking the fuse under the hood out will also disable ABS. I know this because I tried both ways and "4WD" "ABS" lights came on.
          You know that the tsc only alters the lateral g voltage output, it doesn't disable the awd, only has effect on cornering.
          NEPTUNE OPTIMUS MAXIMUS

Comment

Is there not a Skylab that has a switch for 2WD and 4WD as well as a 1-10 dial for how much torque to be sent up front?

Or am I thinking of another company?

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

^^Sounds like the Extreme TSC to me^^

Comment

yep, thats the exteme tsc.
                NEPTUNE OPTIMUS MAXIMUS

Comment

Great thanks for clearing that up. Im lucky I haven't placed the order yet.

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

this is only good for a r32, correct ???

Comment

Working...
                    X