Billy Jacks r33 GT-R build/ rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Jacks r33 GT-R build/ rebuild

This thread will be focused on the build portion of the car rather than unbuild/rebuild mostly because i did not take any pictures while taking it apart other than those needed for references (sorry!)

The car was originally purchased in late june of 2011 and recieved in july/august of 2011, while having a few goodies and a very clean body the car did not turn out to be as expected.

A compression test was done out of curiosity, the compression tester reported 80 psi in cylinder #4, which explained the blow-by (having never owned a turbocharged vehicle before it was not known what an acceptable level was)

long story short, this was the perpetrator:

Thus the collection of parts began:

Pistons:

I narrowed it down to three different companies:

-supertech
    -JE
    -CP

Being all around the same price, it came down to the properties of each material and without going into too much detail (yet) i will simply state why i did not choose the other two:

Supertechs:

High zinc content (comparably) which is not too detonation resistant, as in, shock resistant, (detonation was in most likelihood the cause of my broken ringland so understandably i would like to lessen, if not prevent the damage if it occurs again)

JE:

Although there are claims that their retainer rings can jump ship at any time, there is nothing to suggest that this is a direct result of the design and therefore was not included in the decision making process. it was again, the alloy used in construction, 2024 aluminum. 2000 grade alloys can be susceptible to stress corrosion cracking

rather than weigh in the probability of this occurring and conducting research on the topic, I chose to eliminate the problem altogether and went with the CP pistons which are constructed of 6061 aluminum alloy. 6061 is a common aerospace alloy also known by some as the "new" aerospace alloy, replacing the 2024 grade.

Bearings:

Not much time spent on researching bearings, enough people were using ACL bearings and the only common problem to come up was spun bearings due to the builder not properly checking clearances, which i intended to fully do, and did. Additionally, there was news of a bad batch of bearings that made their way out of the factory in which the bearings were warped, the term that describes the way they were warped escapes me but it would be evident if one were to use plastigauge for checking clearances as the plastiguage would have a tapered profile. no such event occured and all clearances were within specifications.

Rods

After a fair amount of forum browsing, it seems that the stock rods are good until approximately 600 rwhp, as I am aiming for about 500 rwhp the stock rods should be sufficient. Therefore, I had the rods magnafluxed and then resized after I installed the ARP rod bolts

I changed the rod bolts due to the fact that a good majority of thrown rods seemed to be on account of the rod bolts rather than the stock rods failing. Also it is a good idea to change out critical fasteners at a point where it is easy. And they were $60, how can you turn that down?

Head Bolts

For the level of power I was looking for, ARP head studs would be more than sufficient.

Headgasket:

COMETIC streetpro 1.2mm . i have used cometic headgaskets in the past and have had no complaints, and so it seems noone else has either.

EDIT for the preceding statement: sorry, 1.2 mm is stock, I'm doing this all from memory

I believe that I may have made an error in my headgasket selection as I have calculated recently that for every 0.1 mm of extra headgasket thickness, the compression ratio will decrease by about 0.3. This is not particularly worrying as the effects can be offset by a greater amount of boost. Even though the upper limit of the power I can create is now lower, I wont be chasing max power until after I open it up again and switch to forged rods.

Timing belt:

As far as the timing belt is concerned I went with the tomei.

Oil Pump

For this build I chose to go with the Reimax gearset. The engine will only see 8000 rpm and the bearing clearances are within factory spec. In my mind, it would be a complete waste of money to buy A higher flowing pump when all I really need is strength.

Also, I do not believe that the RB26 has an oil drainback "issue". if you take a look at the head, you can see that there really isn't any place for the oil to go but back to the crankcase. In addition to that there is this (scroll to the bottom):

RB26 engine building

Thus ends the parts I needed for the rebuild, Parts that I did not change out are as follows:

Engine

-HKS GT2510-5 turbos
    -Denso 660 cc injectors
    -GReddy suction kit
    -Toda Power cam gears
    -NISMO twin supermaxx clutch

Handling

-KTS SC dampers
    -Dunlop Direzza 245/45R18 tires
    -Trial tri-force zelda magnum wheels

Electronics

-HKS F-CON V-PRO
    -HKS EVC boost controller
    -HKS turbo timer
    -Field ETS
    Last edited by Billy_Jack; 12-26-2014, 09:53 PM. Reason: Formatting, Updating.

Can't wait to tear apart my block to find my cylinder 4 piston to look like this. Also sitting at 80 psi lol. Moar updates required!
    gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

I want to see this

Comment

As this was my first rebuild of a car engine, I knew I had to stay organized. Therefore I created a system for organizing and storing parts:

Each part was sealed in a ziploc bag and labelled and put into a box which was labelled with the contents. This actually saved me a lot of time while rebuilding since all I had to do was look in the book for the next part.

I also did a similar thing for all the electrical plugs so that I didn't have to write long names on the tags:

Parts Assembled:

Machine Work Completed:

-Engine Bored 0.020" over
        -Rods Resized
        -Head rebuilt
        -Valve seats refinished
        -Main bearing surfaces micro polished
        -Head and Block in hot tank overnight

deliveries from the machine shop:

I had my companion inspect the machine work on the rods:

He did not indicate if there were any issues, and I trust his judgement.

Now on to the final bit of machine work, the ring gap sizing. I know that most people use a piston to push the ring down into the bore in order to check the gap. With the RB26 pistons it seems like this would be tricky. Thus, I used the back end of my caliper and checked on all sides until it was perfect:

sorry about the blurriness but as you can see, the end of the caliper was used, this ensures that the ring is pushed down by the same amount all around the bore:

I thought I took a picture of the rings being ground, but I must not have, IIRC I went with tolerances of 19 thou for the top ring and 25 thou for the secondary ring.

Crank Installed:

top view after girdle and oil squirters installed:

For the bearing clearances I could not find a long enough dial bore gauge, therefore I used plastigauge but I unfortunately could not find the picture. All bearings were within spec.

Because plastigauge can be tricky, I measured the clearance for each bearing three times and only continued because the measurements came back the same each time.

One of the minions assembled (stock rod, CP piston, ARP bolts, ACL bearings):

The rod bearing clearances were measured in the same manner as the mains (three times with plastigauge)

Top side, installing pistons:

Baffle Plates and pistons installed:

Head studs and pistons installed:

Sump all cleaned out:

Last edited by Billy_Jack; 12-26-2014, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Head and Sump installed:

Measuring the shims prior to installation:

and documented of course:

makeshift bucket dipper:

shims and buckets installed:

cams installed:

I had to improvise on a seal driver here, ended up using a piston out of my old yz125:

Covers back from the sandblaster:

You're looking at drying paint:

not a terrible color:

but once placed in the oven it changed a fair amount:

intake manifold and all assembled neatly:

Valve covers installed:

I chose to leave the valve covers unpainted because i was worried about scratching them up while installing the engine. It was not an option for me to install with the valve covers off because I was worried about getting dirt/metal in the engine.

Flywheel installed:

I had to improvise here

Clutch installed:

Last edited by Billy_Jack; 12-26-2014, 10:57 PM.

Comment

There are few experts who's input and expertice is more valuable than an excellent K-9 companion.
            Well done!

Comment

Thanks! and yes he was a good companion, in the shop with me every day. unfortunately he has since passed away.

Comment

About to install the transmission, this may be unnecessary but I really don't like putting things together dirty:

Transmission on, having an additional winch is really useful when installing the transmission:

Some compressor action:

front drive axle installed, ready to be dropped in:

Needs a bit of a lean to slide in:

And in!

I guess keeping those valve covers on was a good idea:

This is the meanest pic i have of the car:

I had a bit of trouble keeping the gaskets on the dumps, but this helped. sometimes the simplest solutions are the best:

good to go!

now onto ordering shims. because so much material was taken off by machining the valve seats (they were pretty rough) i had to order all new shim from precision shim in Australia. excel really helped to record and decide which shims to get:

shims arrived and all placed in order:

Last edited by Billy_Jack; 12-26-2014, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy_Jack View Post
                  Thanks! and yes he was a good companion, in the shop with me every day. unfortunately he has since passed away.
                  My sincerest condolences. The loss of a good companion is one of the worst experiences. EVER.

Mechanical therapy certainly helps!

Comment

I did make one fairly good error which I didnt catch before bolting up the engine. I forgot to fill the oil pump with grease or assembly lube. fortunately, I came up with a solution: overfilling the sump.

Normally this would be a bad idea, but at 300 rpm, I reasoned it would not hurt anything. I just cranked the engine until I seen oil pressure and then drained the excess oil.

valve covers painted and installed:

These just get me hot and bothered:

And then off for tuning!

here is an album of most of the pictures I took during the build, I hope you enjoyed the thread.

R33 Build Pics

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo View Post
                      My sincerest condolences. The loss of a good companion is one of the worst experiences. EVER.

Mechanical therapy certainly helps!
                      Thank you. I Agree, it was about a year ago now and I still miss him. Fortunately he was able to go for a ride in the rebuilt GT-R before he went.

Comment

Working...
                      X