Saving a R33 GTR Vspec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving a R33 GTR Vspec

Hey all, this will be more of a progress thread for my project 33, since I don't plan any crazy mods. Goal will be a modest 400awhp max, as I will be using it as a track car for Laguna Seca and Infineon here in CA, so I will need it to be relyable so I can poor the money in tires and gas :P I'll start with the long backstory for those that care (lol) and then do a summary with progress pics to where I am today.

1996 33 Vspec
    White
    NISMO official 400r Front Bumper option
    NISMO official 400r Front Lip
    JDM IMPUL wide body kit
    VOLK CE28n 19x9.5 +22 (sold)
    Apexi Catback

Long BackStory:
    Picked it up as a no-start. Supposedly the previous owner was given the car to him by his uncle who ran it with no oil He let it sit for nearly 5 years before he recieved it! When he recieved it the car wouldn't even click "ON" so he let it sit for another 2 years before selling it to me. He said he couldn't figure out how to get it started. So first effort was: repalce the battery. Sure enough, car fires up lol! I was quite excited to see it fire up on first try. I decide to replace the fuel filter after sitting for 7 years, and what looks like piss comes out of the fuel lines. Yellow old fuel. I inspect the fuel injectors and there's white gunk around the tips of both ends. Clean everything up, add some startron and a couple of gallons of fresh 91oct just to cycle the engine some more for me to trouble shoot further.

After a couple of days, I decide to clean up the car. I pull the car out onto the inclined driveway and just before I can shut it off, the motor starts clanking DAMN lol. So his story of no oil must have been true. The oil probably shifted when the car was on the incline, really revealing the spun bearing. Pulled the car back in, did a compression check, and got 160 on cylinder 6, and 20-30 on all the rest LOL! So I had no choice but to pull the motor. Found a pretty good deal on a last-series R32 engine/tranny set. This made my life easier since the transmission was the same as my S1 R33. Asked for a compression video, came back promptly with all 180 accross the board, everything looked great, and ordered it right away. Did ALOT of research of what I would have to switch over and it still wasn't enough as I found putting in the engine lol (which I will document for future searchers to make their life easier hopefully). But after recieving the engine, I could see what was needed and got started on it right away.

The motor I recieved came with some nice upgrades. One being the MINES updated ECU! The engine looked like it was recently updated by MINES, as the waterpump was replaced. The Timing belt also was updated to the NISMO option. All the hoses looked like they were recently replaced as well. Trust 3" open downpipe, all replaced coil packs, new knock sensors. So far I'm happy with the purchase. But any garage tuner knows to be apprehensive whenever you buy a used performance product :P So we'll see how it goes in the future once she's actually on the track & dyno.

Cleaned what I could, fresh paint on the valve cover, and have recently put the motor in. My next plan of attack is to replace the fuel pump which is probably crap from sitting for 7 years. Will need to pump out all that old gas, and install an FPR. I'm hoping that will give me a good relyable base to start track time. Very excited to get in with my friends who have a head start on me at Laguna.

Pics of the bad engine bay with spun bearing(s)

2yo Daughter helping me put the new engine in the car lol
    Last edited by my3awds; 03-07-2013, 01:25 PM.

Nice! Keep up the good work! Never underestimate the power of a childs touch!

Comment

Very clean looking car
      95 R33 Gtr

RICE - Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement

Comment

Very clean car

- Plate is not covered in last pic! Was this a Motorex car?
        Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Thanks all! Had to fix that last pic lol good eye :P Yup.

So made some progress on the motor today. I was freaking out because I burped the system 3x and it seemed like it kept overheating 2 minutes after I started the car! After 2 days of research, I found out that R32's have different gauge temp sensors than R33's (DOH!). Luckly the change is the same and confirmed on S13's vs S14's (KA or SR). Cheap swap. Buttoning up the front, then moving to filling the gearbox with Redline Shockproof Light, Xfer with Castrol, rear with MT90, and lastly bleed the Attessa system (whew!) So much to do on these cars!

Put an order on some 18x10.5 +20's. Got to decide on NT05 tires vs AD08's. Catching up now by researching your guys' posts Will update when I test fit them on.
          Last edited by my3awds; 10-15-2012, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Good stuff! Nice to see you bringing this car back to life, your going to love it when its running.

Comment

Is that an... evo 5?

Nice!!
              BNR32- Sold
              1998 Evolution V

Comment

Originally posted by quadracer111 View Post
                Is that an... evo 5?

Nice!!
                Thanks!

Yeah 33east, I can't wait! I'm hoping it's everything I've read and dreamed about. Driving it in Gran Turismo all my life growing up to actually owning one then taking it to a track is very exciting for me.
                Last edited by my3awds; 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by my3awds View Post
                  Thanks! The plan for the Evo is just an Auto-X car since it's lighter.

Yeah 33east, I can't wait! I'm hoping it's everything I've read and dreamed about. Driving it in Gran Turismo all my life growing up to actually owning one then taking it to a track is very exciting for me.
                  You have an awesome garage, all cars in my favorite color as well! How do you choose which one to drive? Hehe.

I know, I should be excited about the 33, but we can't even get evo 5's here yet (couple more months). I've been drooling over those for the last few years. When the evo finally got good imo.
                  BNR32- Sold
                  1998 Evolution V

Comment

gutty for california!!! haha youve got a pair on you
                    Last edited by Oakville; 10-15-2012, 10:12 PM.
                    Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

hide them from the gov good!!!! Sexy cars.
                      Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

So I test fitted my new wheels on the Evo just for comparison and got this
                        Last edited by my3awds; 03-07-2013, 01:20 PM.

Comment

nice lil' car collection you got going there. i am hiding in the states as well... ssshhh haha looking good though

Comment

varstoens ?

Comment

lol @ gawdzila, love the username! Might have to use that for my license plate if you don't mind

Comment

Working...
                              X