Broketillpayday's GTR rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broketillpayday's GTR rebuild

Hi my name is JR wyllie im finally diving into my dads GTR for a full teardown and rebuild aiming for show/racing/drag/cruiser cuz we all do it!

Well i will start off with a lil info about the car and its history in canada. my dad bought this car when they first became eligible in canada. this car was the second skyline Grant
    from tyee imports ever brought in before he was tyee imports. as far as i knew at the time and still to this day it was the first gtr on vancouver island. long story a bit shorter my dad
    let me race it against a built drag FC my friend owned and we were all suprised i was able to stay right beside him with him winning by a car in a half mile race. my dad went and blew the
    clutch on the second attempt and from that day forward he let me race it for some reason and we were hooked. i went ahead with a gtst drift car i built.

the car has had maybe 18k kms since it was impoorted and has spent most years in storage, build, or garage. after we replaced the clutch the motor was the next thing to go a couple months
    down the road and thats where it all spiraled out of control. my dad not being a mechanic by any means but loved modified cars and i was just starting on my tech career was still only 18
    though we just werent equipped to tackle a full motor build. especially on something that at the time no one had any clue of these things.

so my dad went to a certain shop that will remain nameless but most will know, he had a
    hard on for the owner who really was just getting into the skyline business along with a few other shops. Soo this is where my say became null and void (big mistake as i use common sense not like them) although the shop that will remain naemless had never done anything like this before so lets just say it didnt go as planned partially due to my dads lack of managing what was actually happening with the car and his love for the owner to eventually follow thru with this build which in my eyes the whole car was a let down for what my dad paid and dealt with. myeslf on numorous occasions repairing things that were overlooked everytime it came back from there.
    also just recently found they had installed a set of turbo but lied to my dad on installing the ones he ordered.
    the car was built a couple times over while kinks and issues were resolved took about 5 years and 60k plus the cost of car! but what my dad got from this shop was a poor example of
    quality control and no accountability as no one had a clue what was going on for years and years at this shop. the car finally left there hands and now i will care and love it the way
    it should have been done 7 years ago. build should take approx 1 and a half years with a finish date of may of 2014 hopefully. (just pulled date out of ass makes me think theres a timeline)

Now my dad is handing the reigns over and letting me play as i buy him out of the car. with that being said when this car is on the road it costs a lot to run and i enjoy building more then driving even, also making something ur own appeals a lot to me.

The rebuild is still somewhat in the air with the final layout as i will be wheeling and dealing to try and make this build possible and we all know how painful that is on GTRcanada and some other northwest forums.

- hopefully the build will consist of full suspension replacement as in bushings, arms, brakes etc to prepare for track racing.
    - decent sized single turbo swap, (might stick with twins for 1 more year if stuff doesnt work out fully)
    - standalone with new wiring harness map sensed. looking at going the new mircotech coming out next year with display/tuner box. my tuner will be marco at ForceFed racing! FTW
    - full wire and everything tuck
    - cooling ducts for brakes, coolers, rad, rear diffuser and maybe full fuel cell setup or minumum surge tank and all new lines couple pumps etc
    - theres a bit of body damage on the car that will be repaired as well as a lot of small improvements all the way around the car.
    - motor tear down and install of rods that i still need to acquire. motor is semi built right now.
    - upgrades to the oil system as its bare minuimum right now with just a n1 oil pump and hks cooler.

odviously theres a huge wish list and some months, weeks progress will be slower then other. i have 3 kids an expensive wife and im 26 with no Job as current so this should be interesting.
    im really looking forward to this project and i know there will be a lot of POSITIVE constructive critisim but please if your gonna have anything negative to say save it as its not worth saying
    or pm me if u have problems and need to be heard or something

luckily the big investment has been made or most of them at least and know its really just a lot of labour and tedious work to bring this car to where it should be
    "plus about another 15k on my tab at harrys" lots of little crap to buy to finish it off.

anyways hope i can keep up with this build thread as far as updates and pics plus still get something done on the car as well. dont know how some people find the time.

The current specs on the car as of teardown

bnr32 GTR again my dad built this car with a shop years ago so i might not have everything completley correct

- wiseco pistons 86mm
    - crank collar upgrade, knife edged crank, shot peened rods, balanced blah blah
    - arp head studs, (hks or cometic) headgasket i believe
    - jun 264 cams, hks intake cam gear and i have a tomei exhaust to put on, greddy timing belt have new one already for new build.
    - splitfire coils, n1 water and oil pump. hks gaskets, ATI 500+ damper,
    - 2560r turbos, hks hard piping kit, trust 4 row intercooler, hks dumps and downpipe to hks exhaust
    - Jim wolf reflash, z32 mafs, hks intakes, 740cc injectors, tomei twin entry rail, sard pressure regulator, aeromotive filter, tomei 280 lph in tank pump, earls fittings and so on.
    - beeR, hks torque split, turbosmart e boost 2 controller which is getting the boot, defi gauges oil psi, ext temp, boost, blitz turbo timers the car has eaten like 3 of them no ****.
    - JIC flta2 coilovers, 18x9.5 +22 TE37's wrapped in 265/35 RE01R's
    - paint is black with green metallic in paint. changes color of car to green in straight sunlight. trust sideskirts, JUN lip, seibon carbon hood with a green candy apple clear coat makes it pop.

probably some stuff im missing as theres a lot.

the stuff addressed is a long list and im at my wits ned writing as much as i have soo far.
    will get into that last as we go along and do the work.

anyways on to pics

Last edited by broketillpayday; 12-21-2012, 02:24 AM.

I've met your dad through an old career of mine, really nice guy! I've seen this car in person a few times. It's a beaut! You've got a great platform to start with man.

I think you'll find your not actually too far off from it being complete, take a look at driftworks for adjustable suspension arms,you can pretty much replace em all except for the front lower arms for around 1300 cad And that's included a couple little things like rose joint dust boots, hardwares, couple bushings etc.

For a turbo, maybe look into full race. More specifically Borg Warner, amazing turbos for an amazingly low cost. Many different options available to you. Remember big responsive power comes from a well built head supported by decent bolt ons.

If your not cranking more than 500 hp, rods won't be necessary unless you just want to replace em while your in there anyways. For around 500-800 you can get a good set of forged rods. Aswell if your not after more than 500 I suggest sticking to twins for a nicer snappier power curve. A single is great but out of the hole can be a little laggy, unless your launching hard or using anti lag, which both take their tole on all sorts of parts.

Awesome to see this car getting a rebirth. This car is honestly the one and only that made me want a GTR. At the time there was no hope in hell of me affording one as I was also only dealing with the unmentioned shop at the time so I chose to buy a gtst. Lets us know when your bringing it to the coast. I must see it again, and meet you too!

I'll be watching this one! Good luck buddy.
    Cheers,
    Brent.

Comment

thanks brent for your kind words, as far as the platform being the best i think it is as well. the car was first built for a 500whp goal and with a couple of sets of N1 turbos that were junk the decision was made to go to gt2860-5's. we were always thinking it was slightly underpowered for the psi we were running. 21 psi on the street put down just over 500 whp and 26 psi put down 547. we were hoping for 550whp at around 16 to 18 psi. my dad kind of gave up on the car a couple years back as its a nightmare just to store and have around. shiney stuff marks and knicks quicker then normal stuff lol.

as far as power goals goo it really depends on what the end products i end up with. was leaning more precision turbo in a 700 to 1000 hp capable range. wanted to run everything V band from now on to simplify maintenance and make it more user friendly for what it will be used for. my uncle is most likely twin turboing his gallardo in the spring so thats the car im gunning for. he just did all the carbon fiber aero upgrades a month ago to support stupid fast..... i figure 700whp is attainable with the right attitude and a bit of luck. lots of work before dreams become reality.

i will get pics of the needing attention things and where the car is at this point tonight
      Last edited by broketillpayday; 12-21-2012, 11:13 PM.

Comment

This sounds like a sweet build! Looking forward to seeing it come to life.
        1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
        -Bruce Lee

Comment

Subscribed...good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys, the progress hasn't been huge I pulled the motor + trans tonight. Probably pull the car back out of the shop so I can wash it and degrease it. Maybe start into the rocker/floor and rail repairs beginning of next week. The rails on both side have been compromised from brake fluid over the years and on the passenger side has rusted enough along a seam to start a crack about 2 inches long that is visible thru the wheel well.

Wiring needs to be gutted out along with hicas, brake lines, power steering lines, fuel etc

Comment

Nice project! Keep us updated.

Comment

well for an update i have been slacking havent even moved the car out to clean/prep and just started tearing the motor down for inspection. was planning on going into the covers but that was it on the motor until i found a broken valve guide, bit of wear on the valve, and a few leaky valve seals as the head has had no improvements to oil flow. after finding this i knew a full tear down is happening now so i quickly pulled the pan off to check for what rods were in the motor as my dad was adamant on using stock rods but the shop told me they put aftermarket rods in or wouldnt build a motor to this extent and not put rods in. IT has stock rods with stock rod bolts and hardware yay now i get to build a supposedly built motor. i left it at that point as i wont tear it down till i have my new parts.
                also waiting for some parts that should arrive first week of january.
                pics of all sorts of stuff

As far as the motor being damaged im not worried at all about the chunk having gone thru the motor, i have a feeling happened in assembly piece fell out or was taken out and put together. the car makes 150 psi across all cylinders with no more then a 5 psi difference between each cylinder at a closed throttle position. but the head needs to be built now as well as port matching cuz what it has now is horrible. bottom end needs rods and smoothed out gone over.

Comment

Love those wheels! Hope the motor build goes smooth man, looking forward to your future updates
                  waiting till the states lets me own one legally...

Comment

What happened to this re-build?

Comment

Originally posted by Twice View Post
                      What happened to this re-build?
                      Time is money. Expensive hobbies.
                      gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

Maybe the next payday never came and stayed broke....
                        No build thread.
                        1991 nissan
                        El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Originally posted by Bruizer View Post
                          Maybe the next payday never came and stayed broke....
                          Well he did quit riggin lol
                          gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

Working...
                          X