No announcement yet.

Dr. Marus or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the RB26DETT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is by far my favourite build thread on the forum...I don't know why. I think it's because it has a lot of heart (no homo)
    Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
      This is by far my favourite build thread on the forum...I don't know why. I think it's because it has a lot of heart (no homo)
      Wow thanks man that means a lot, especially since I'm falling into some real hard times lol.
      1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

and I read a LOT of build threads. I think another thing that draws me here is because my story is very similar to yours. One day I hope to write it up like this...I should really start taking more photos haha

Comment

*brofist*
          1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Pictured 2012

2012______________________________________________ _____________________________

The serious business.

Again, the 2011 off season consisted of myself lurking GTRC and buying parts. But this time I was more familiarized with the car's (stock) performance and I was getting the itch to finally realize my lifelong dream of taking an R32 GTR to the track. With Bobbo posting in the eastern section about his various escapades at Atlantic Motorsport Park I immediatly jumped on the occasion and started to PM him to get some information.It didn't take long for me to get a membership to the ASCC but there was always the issue of distance. Being in northern New-Brunswick, AMP was more than 400kms away.

Contrary to winter 2010 where the car was left in a horrible shelter in an even more horrible dampest/thawest winter in recent memory I had elected to store the GTR in Moncton at an old machine shop warehouse. The owner, an old machinist, takes in cars during winter to make a quick buck (and since the warehouse can hold more than 25 cars, it's a pretty penny). The cheap rent and totally dry environment made it the perfect choice.

So, recap. I was stuck in Bathurst; my GTR was in Moncton 250kms away and the track was 450kms away.How was I supposed to prep her for track? Picking up the car in Moncton -without an oil change- and driving it 250kms back to my parents and then drive it 450kms to the track wasn't worth the wear, tear, gas, time, etc. Since I didn't have issues with dragging my Sentra (DD) along and adding mileage to it, I asked 240sxcollector for some help. We would use his driveway to work on her.

I would make two trips to Moncton, one two-way, one one-way. One week before the ASCC performance driver course I drove to Moncton in the Sentra with the GTR's renewed insurance and plates, went by a friend's to say hello and finally stopped at Collector's place. He then drove me to the warehouse where I picked up the GTR. Interesting part right here: I had forgotten the papers at the first friend's house. I turn at look at Collector "What's the odds right? We're just 15 minutes away".

Yeah.

What happened next came pretty obvious when we drove up to a gridlock in a rural setting. Lo and behold, just in span of time it had took Collector and I to drive from his place to the warehouse, a police road block had been put up, looking for expired insurance and plates. So since I knew I had valid credentials, I called up my friend and told him to meet me up at a parking lot clear of the road block.

Since the cops were pretty far away, I assumed I could manage to sneak a U turn in the gridlock (cue Collector's facepalming). Apparently I did a crap job because 3 pursuit cars immediatly went after me full lights and bells and whistles. Maybe they were hoping for a high speed pursuit (I was flattered) but I was already pulled over by the time they caught up (the line was that long).

The cop gave me a $2000 ticket. Since I swallowed my pride and explained the reason why I was being such and idiot, he proposed an alternative: he'd scratch it off if I would cough up the papers before they would reopen the road block. Luckly my friend was home when I had called and he did bring back my papers in time. So my summer wasn't ruined, a good start.

So finally back at Collector's, we had a couple things to do:

-Oil change
            -Fuel pump
            -Divorced Y pipe outlet
            -Clutch slave
            -Rear wiper delete (I needed help since it was seized)

The oil change was straightforward, I opted for 5w-30 Royal Purple as we managed to get a decent deal on a quart case. The fuel pump was as a precautionary measure. Being that it's a forced induction engine and that the old pumps can fail, I didn't want to take chances on the track. Also back in 2011 I would often get a buzzing sound from the (since uninsulated) rear end of the car on idle, which I had assumed it was due to a faulting fuel pump.

After pulling the old pump out and playing with the old pump casing, we had a problem. I had assumed with the popularity of th 255lph Walbros as replacements that there wouldn't be any issues but the pump pickup was diametrically opposed to the old pump's. This meant that the casing would need some modifying, which Collector took on.

Next came the Y pipe. As I had mentionned, the old man that was housing my car was also a machinist. So during the winter I had purchased a spare Y pipe which I brought him to get it divorced before picking up the car.

The patterns in the original pipe still disturb me... what do those stains mean? They were dried up, but why were they on the superior part and not the bottom where you'd expect settling?

With the pump plummed the right way around (inside joke to why the engine wouldn't turn over) we moved on to the wiper. Taking the motor out was more than we bargained for as the spline shaft had expanded against the glass. It had to be slowly cut out chunk my chunk. All said and done it was well worth the trouble, it cleaned up the back very nicely.

Finally, the clutch slave had was replaced. As you might remember I had lost clutch pressure at the start of 2011 and I wasn't looking to lose pressure again and strip a few gears in the process. With the day coming to an end and our (his) work done and losing a wrench (or socket?, don't quite remember) in the enginebay somewhere I took her back to storage. The next weekend I could pick her up again but this time for a trip to AMP.
            Last edited by MarusGTR; 01-13-2014, 09:52 PM.
            1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

It was a 10 mm wrench, and I couldn't find it when I put all the tools away.
              Good thing we check to make sure the bleeder screw on the slave was thigh before you left, it was still attached to it. lol

Good write up man, can't wait for summer to be here.
              14 VW Jetta TDI
              05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
              95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
              95 240sx ( powered)
              89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

great write up man keep up the good work!!!

Comment

Funny, turns out a wallpaper of your car was my first ever facebook cover photo!

Comment

Funny, turns out a wallpaper of your car was my first ever facebook cover photo!
                    What!? no way!

Originally posted by curtisgoodman View Post
                    great write up man keep up the good work!!!
                    Thanks man!
                    1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 11.09.28 AM.jpg

Keep this going!

Comment

I am also Guilty of buying first and asking questions later. So I can relate to this build.
                        Jordie Lewis
                        1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

[ATTACH]626[/ATTACH]

Keep this going!
                          hey i think im in that picture lol
                          - Adam

:
                          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

Originally posted by amnash View Post
                            hey i think im in that picture lol
                            Spoiler much?
                            1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

...does this get super exciting from here on out!?! Ya!

Comment

Yup the apexi intakes were from me! I think i sold them dirt cheap lol glad you are putting them to use! great thread keep it going!!!
                                1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

Working...
                                X