Reily's GTR build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reily's GTR build thread

So to start off as the title says my name is Reily. Sorry in advance if the pictures are rotated wrongly, i take pictures with my phone. I may come back and fix it when i have time but for now this is just a quick write up. Its probably gonna be messy as hell.

This is the tale of my GTR, although at this moment its a rather short one. About a year ago i had no interests in cars what-so-ever, however my beater was starting to show signs that it was getting worse for ware so i started driving it like it was stolen rather than trying to treat it nice and keep it running till i was done college. This got an itch started to screw around with cars, and my dad has always wanted a project car to tinker with. I started looking at cars, supras, integras, rx-7s(fc3s and fd), 350z, 240sx, and eventually landed on skyline. I found this forum and i was hooked. Not only do i love the gtr, but this forum gave me the option to buy its predecessor. I started researching, then started phoning around for insurance. When i heard quotes i had pretty much given up on my dream but i continued to look. Then one day DKSantos(i think thats his forum username, Fabio in real life) dropped the price on his shell. It had been posted for 4000 originally i believe without rims. He dropped the price to 2 grand and I figured that was about as good as it gets, kijiji shells were 3-3500 and looked much worse. Me and my dad drove up there a few weekends later to have a look, we were still skeptical and not sure if we were gonna go away with it. It looked good and we were happy so negotiations started. We ended up almost cleaning his garage and walking away pretty happy. What a shitty rainy day to go look at a car though.
    All loaded up and ready to go, or so we thought.

This is where trouble begins already, as it seems with everyones skyline. The car was just a shell, as such it was in some states of disassembly. The rear section of the prop shaft was still on the rear diff but not up in its hanger bracket. As we were pulling onto the highway we hear something fall, a clanging, and then start smelling burnt rubber as the car is up on a tow dolly. We pulled over, phone fabio, he knows what happened he's on his way. In the piss pouring rain, on the side of an on-ramp, with lots of cars coming our way, he showed up, got down on our floor mats in the rain, and put the hangerbracket from the trunk on the car for us. Thanks again dude, would have sucked even more without your help, no tools n all.

We carried on our drive, however i don't know if it was because the propshaft fell, or just the car was out of allignment to begin with, the rear wheels were angled outwards a little bit. Any time we got up over 50km/h or tried to merge left the whole car swung out beside us and tried taking us off the road. 40km/h all the way home from toronto, a supposed 1 hour drive took nearly 4 and a half.

Pit stop for food:

Trying on bumpers upon arriving home(there were 2 included, 1 veilside all ziptied together and 1 oem with n1 vents)
    oem

veilside

The plan for the next few months was suppose to be continue saving money to eventually afford an engine without breaking the bank, while doing small things to the body like cleaning up little bits of rust if there were any, fiddling with the interior and playing around in it ofcourse. I had bought my dream car and it felt great. First things first though, I had to spend a whole saturday and 3 trips to the dump with our utility trailer packed full to clean out my dads garage. He use to run an electronics repair shop and had lots of tv's sitting around that were scrap but he just didn't quite want to let go.
    After 2 saturdays of working at that heres what it looked like with the car inside

A nice big heated shop with nice carpets for crawling around on the ground that doesn't matter if they get oily(they're no longer white btw).

After the car was inside i considered to read on the forums, trying to learn everything, researching what all i would need if i got a swap from a place like jdmtoronto or engine land. They came with wireharness ecu engine tranny clutch flywheel and that was about it. Would have to get intercooler piping and anything else that isn't directly bolted onto the engine. Sounded daunting especially since i'd never touched anything mechanical before in my life outside of oil changes on my sunfire. Thats when someone posted a front clip on these forums. He posted an asking price of 4g stating that he had no idea what it was and gotten it out of a storage deal gone wrong. Again it seemed like something worth checking out, so we got ourselves a trailer this time, and borrowed someones truck. Back to toronto we go. When we got there we did a compression test found all good numbers, 155 165 166 164 165 170. Seems good enough for me from what i know. Also first time hotwiring a car =]. We haggled a bit and again walked away happy thinking we had a nearly stock engine bay.

Ready to rock!

We got home, slid the skid off the trailer and pretty much called it a day. Sunday we started a bit of teardown, took off intercooler piping, removed pspump, removed intercooler/rad, and got the hot side of the engine looking fairly sparse. Was dinner time so we called it quits until next friday, I had a busy week between school/work and my dad has to work weekdays as well. I had pictures of our small teardown but unfortunately i had no intentions of writing this so they've long since been deleted from my phone.

That friday we continued work on tearing apart the engine bay. I was being quite persistent and pushing my dad to keep going, so with my non existent mechanical skills, and my dads farm yard knowledge of old cars, we continued onwards. It started getting dark and we were so close, all the electrical had been undone, abs removed and set asside, we were really close. I had borrowed an engine hoist from my place of work that week and i wanted to get it out. I grabbed a couple lights, and we went and bugged the neighbor for some nylon straps since we had no chain or anything. Strapped 2 around the block and 1 through since they were to short then put it up in the hoist and out she comes.

So after ~7 hours of work total and in the dark of night i had pulled my first engine. Was a rewarding feeling. Thats when we started getting surprises. We already realized there was k&n pod filters, not a big deal in my eyes, however fabio has since told me they are mounted on greddy piping. We got a set of z32 mafs with the shell, and what was this the car had r32 nismo turbos on it! what a great find. I had read horror stories about the ceramic wheels in the stock turbos, and while its probably not as bad as i think, it was something i didn't want to deal with. That was enough, tomorrow we can start cleaning stuff up.

Saturday work resumed, pulled the whole turbo assembly off, started cleaning and shining intercooler piping, put an attempt into polishing the manifolds but quickly gave up. It was thanks giving weekend so we got the engine into the shop(with some effort) and left it there. On thanks giving monday me and my brother in law unbolted the tranny and between the two of us managed to wrestle it off the engine. This lead to yet another surprise!

I don't think this is a stock clutch or flywheel guys.

Turns out i have an osgeiken ts2b which is somewhere between a 1700 and 2200$ clutch(ebay and osgiken can't decide). Its also fairly new, I havn't got a mic out to measure the plates as i don't own one, but they're close to 4mm which someone else selling this clutch says is new, 2mm is suppose to be dead.

My suppose to be stock engine bay now has: r32 nismo turbos, z32 mafs, mishimoto rad, kakimoto 3.5" cat back exhaust, a 2 disc clutch, and has supposedly only done 50,000km in its life time.
    Heres a picture of the turbos which have since been serviced, one needed a rebuild theo ther was okay'd. Cherry turbos in St. Thomas did the work I highly suggest them. The guy runs the business out of his garage and has been doing it for 20+ years. I dropped them off, within 5 min he okay'd the one and had the other torn apart. Not a single piece was still together. It needed a new bearing with parts and labor and shipping back to me it cost 475. I thought this was relatively reasonable especially the condition it came back

Looks brand new!

Since then not a whole lot has happened. We sprayed everything we could including the block down with varsol, replaced the timing belt(thanks daryl for parts), and have started rebuilding. I borrowed a sandblaster from a guy at work and sand blasted valve covers/intake/timing covers etc. to be powder coated, then dropped them off at Niagara Customs. I'm quite happy with the work that got done, however i was hoping for a more royal shade of blue. Either way I like the color and am excited to start putting the car together finally!

Looking a little rought

Work in progress, loving the ghetto sandblaster booth.

Finished Sandblasting at last!
    This took me about 3 hours, more time was spent waiting for the compressor than working though.

A couple weeks later I got a call from the powdercoaters everything was ready for pickup.

Test fitting the easy parts, looks good!

Since then I've been tinkering re-assembling the engine on my own while i should be studying. Intake plenum went back on as did the turbos. Just need to do dumps, then remove it from the engine stand to replace rear engine seal and re-attach the tranny. Hopefully the engine can go in the car soon =]. I need some gaskets for the exhaust and an oil filter, as well as i would like to clean the injectors, which means i need orings and possibly new insulators.

Intake looking shiny

Turbos looking fancy, at least the clean one is forward :P

Comment

Very nice how did you clean if so well? The turbo that is

Comment

Can't wait to see the car on the road!!! Great build so far.

Comment

Hey buddy, you got my old hood treat with care, miss that thing
          '12 Kia Forte - Winter/Summer car
          '91 Skyline GTR - Weekend Fun/Project car

Comment

haha nice "tow truck"! glad you didn't blow the torque converter. Cool project, though it's always sad to hear most of these cars are picked up by students and budget tight people (rather than those that can dump $50-100k into them and make them unreal) this will still be an awesome car! Good lucky with your costly journey! Can't wait for more!!
            No build thread.
            1991 nissan
            El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Students get cars that they think will be affordable fun toys to build rich people who can drop 50-100k in em switch up to just buying a new gtr

Comment

So when i was asked to make a christmas list i tried to think of things non-relative to the car because i was hoping to fund it myself. However since its new and i had nothing going on other than a need for clothes, the christmas list ofcourse ended up being 90% comprised of things for my cars. I jokingly added that i wanted seats for the car. And then last night this happened.

I also got an r34 gtr front emblem. My car didn't come with the front slats and i love the look of the r33-35 front grill with that nice shiny emblem in there. As such i plan to make my own, or try and source a jun or hks style front grill for the car. The emblem will fit nicely in either of those. Hopefully it looks as nice as i hope it to when its finished.

As for updates, the engine is ready to come off the stand and get attached to the tranny to be dropped back in. Turbos are mounted and all thats left to do while its out of the car is replace the rear engine seal, which again requires it off the stand. Hopefully that will happen sometime over my christmas break and i can at least pretend like the engine will turn over. I'm not totally certain how the fuel lines are run as my clip had them chopped and i've never done this before. Also theres a few lines i'm still not certain about and I'd just like to have some assurance so i'll be waiting for help before actually hooking everything up and getting the car to start.
                Merry christmas everyone, and have a good holiday season. Enjoy new years eve :P.

Comment

A few more things showed up from christmas time, i guess they were lost in the mail and just didn't arrive on time.

Over the christmas holidays i did a few things to the car however i wasn't busy with it as i was hoping to work the whole time and make some spending money. First thing was to finish preventative maintenance, and that included a rear main seal while the engine was out.
                  With the help of 99_SI's past experience i got the old one out without having to take my oil pan off again like the owners manual was telling me to. We took a small drillbit and snapped it off so it wouldn't be long enough to damage anything past the seal then we drilled through. Once through we used a self tapping screw to make a pry point and used a hammer to pull it out. Not the most orthodox method but it worked great and saved me alot of effort seeing as i had just finished putting the oilpan on.

With the old one out, we put a bit of oil on the new one to help it slide in, and some grease on the inside(si's instructions again, to keep the spring in place while sliding it in). It pushed in with my hands almost 3/4 of the way however required some persuasion with a 1/4" extension for the last little bit
                  Success!

After that I was going to go about mounting the clutch, however on closer examination my fancy os giken clutch was nearly worn all the way and needed replacement. I contacted daryl and a few other os giken dealers in ontario. Daryl quoted me 800$, rhdjapan wanted 575 plus shipping. These were slightly out of my budget so i looked around for some cheaper options. First i thought about replacement discs that were similar but not os giken branding. Noone was able to help me out, however a local shop suggested getting the plates re-surfaced similar to brake pads. I looked at this option however noone was able to quote me without me shipping the clutch to them and that seemed like an unnecessary expense for something i wasn't sure i wanted to do. It doesn't quite sound safe to me. I started shopping on kijiji while weighing that option and found a nismo clutch for sale. When i went to pick it up the guy selling it was Pani Benyamin from pur auto(no longer there). That made buying it alot easier as i was nervous about there being something wrong with it that i wouldn't see. Its a single copper mix sport clutch.

The flywheel is almost half the weight of my os giken one!

clutch plate looks considerably healthier than the os giken one too, bigger as well though i don't think the grabbing surface is any larger.

With the clutch on it was time to remate the tranny & engine.

Both the engine & tranny were on seperate carts. We then adjusted the height of the engines cart with a jack until it just slid right in. Was really easy and required no real effort. I'm glad the splines lined up first time though.

Thats as far as i got tonight, however i have a few questions about where lines and such go. Its become apparent the previous owner had a few extra things such as boost controller/gauge and turbo timer. Not sure what else he may have been running however couldn't have been much cause still stock looking ecu.

Theres a t in this hose which i believe is coming off the fuel pressure regulator? The hose heading down the fuel rail went through the front clip. I'm not sure if it was tucked there during shipping or if it went right through but i have no idea what its for.

I'm also curious about this line back here. I believe its part of the vaccuum lines for the turbo wastegates. I keep hearing about a restrictor near the boost solenoid marked by a yellow line, which i intend to remove when i can get a tune. However i've found another yellow line here behind the engine, also feels like something solid inside. Is it another restrictor that needs to be removed?

Also as you can see in that picture the line i'm reffering to currently goes nowhere. Thats also kinda confusing me as i can't figure out what its supposed to connect to. It has a brass fitting in it like 2 hoses were joined together at one point.

These are the lines coming off at the other end. I believe they're the ones that are supposed to go to oem boost solenoid which wasn't on the car. I've since purchased another one, it should be just a matter of unplugging them and putting them on however is there any reason why they would have been plugged in the first place?

Maybe this was better for gtr tech than my build thread :P

Comment

Originally posted by rvander1992 View Post
                    Theres a t in this hose which i believe is coming off the fuel pressure regulator? The hose heading down the fuel rail went through the front clip. I'm not sure if it was tucked there during shipping or if it went right through but i have no idea what its for.
                    The line that went to the firewall was probably for a boost gauge. Discard the Tee and the dead end line.

Originally posted by rvander1992 View Post
                    I'm also curious about this line back here. I believe its part of the vaccuum lines for the turbo wastegates. I keep hearing about a restrictor near the boost solenoid marked by a yellow line, which i intend to remove when i can get a tune. However i've found another yellow line here behind the engine, also feels like something solid inside. Is it another restrictor that needs to be removed?
                    If there's a solid yellow line, there's a restrictor. There's two restrictors for the wastegate/boost solenoid signal, you just found the second one. I wouldn't remove them if I were you, the reports on their benefits aren't conclusive. Typically, only the solenoid restrictor is removed if you want to follow the trend.

Can't help you with the rest though, I'm not currently well versed into aftermarket stuff.

BTW, I'm pretty jealous of your flywheel and seats... I suspected the sports kit had a pretty decent flywheel but I'm surprised to hear its even lighter than OSGiken's supposedly lightened flywheel. Glad you went for it.
                    1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

I'm pretty happy with the flywheel/clutch as well.

The seats are replicas but i'm still quite happy with them. They were an extraordinary christmas gift and probably not deserved at all.

As for the restrictor I don't intend to remove them now however in the future for a small power boost when i can get some form of tune i'd be more interested. I knew of removing the first one i was unaware of the seconds existance. That will probably stay for good as its in such a difficult place to reach once the engine is in. Possibly peoples experience with removal is changed based on whether they have the second in their car or not? i.e remove by boost solenoid but second stays in no change, remove both go from 8psi to 1bar? We'll see i guess. Kinda want an a/m boost gauge before i start fiddling with stuff like that as well. The main reason holding me from putting the engine in(asside from time) is lack of knowledge about all the lines, however i believe i've got all the unknowns sorted and might look into dropping it in this weekend provided time isn't an issue =]

Comment

Do you not have a service manual? Everything is fairly well explained in diagrams.

Comment

Nice seats man where did you get them?

Comment

Bump it up

Comment

It's mostly a lazines thing I'm not updating. The car is now running and drove around my driveway the day we cleaned my car.
                              I had the wrong oil filter(serves me right for listening to the guy behind the counter and not doing research, not to lay blame
                              On guy behind counter for giving bad advise, he didn't know better either) which blew off causing an oil fountain over the engine bay. That's been cleaned up however I still discovered some pockets under the car tonight.

As for the car, it runs well however I can't seem to get the idle under 2000.
                              So far we have played with AAC valve and the dial on the ecu, looked for vacuum leaks. Someone also suggested cold start map on ecu. I have an s13 rad so the sensor doesn't go in(no bung). Tonight we just dropped it in the top of the rad and it was in hot water. The car sounded like it dropped however the tach didn't move. I have no way to tell if my tach doesn't read accurately or if the car is still at a high rev count. My tach does behave abnormally though. It moves extremely slowly. It doesn't rise and fall quick infact after shutting the car off it takes 5+ seconds to fall from 2000 idle to 0 again. Any suggestions in that? I have a nismo white face 320/kph cluster in the car.

Sorry if this is rambly I'm just typing my thoughts on my phone so it's unorganized. Ill try upload videos of exhaust note and car running when I get to my pc.

Comment

Working...
                              X