The Mustard Tiger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mustard Tiger

Hey all, figured I would throw together a build/progress thread so I could keep track of everything.

Let's begin with a little history of myself and my addiction to the world of imports. At the ripe age of 9, I watched a movie called "The Fast and The Furious." I'm sure like many of you, it sparked something inside of me that couldn't go away.. We'll call it an itch. At first I didn't exactly understand what I was so mesmerized by. Perhaps it was the shiny colors, fancy bodykits, or weird whistling noises coming from under the hoods of these machines. All I knew is that I liked what I was seeing. I was already very into cars (hotwheels, remote control, etc), but this movie changed something inside of me. I began researching online daily, and once I was old enough I started babysitting and watering neighbors plants until I could actually get a job. I knew I needed money, and lots of it.

Fast forward to my 17th birthday.. I had finally gotten my drivers license and with some money saved up I knew it was time to go car hunting. I was fixated on a 2nd gen Mitsubishi Eclipse. After seeing that opening scene in FnF I knew it was the car I had to have. However, after doing my research and looking for a good condition GSX in my area, I was heart-broken after being unable to find the right car. Until one day my dad and I were driving home and we saw this piece of raw automotive art parked on the side of the street with a "for sale" sign attached to the window. I screamed for him to pull over and immediately ran over to the car. It said "Mitsubishi" on it and as I was already so interested in the brand, I wondered to myself "what the hell is this thing?!" The owner's parents were outside and beckoned their son to come over and talk to me about what was sitting outside of their house. I was told it was a Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo. He opened the door for me and that's when I saw that the steering wheel was on the other side. This furthered my interest, and after months of negotiation, a true Japanese supercar sat in my garage.

After 4 years of smiles and headaches, I was done with this incredibly complicated platform. I was getting more into the drift scene and decided to take a break from the GTO and purchase a clean 240sx shell that my friend had sitting in his shop. After swapping in a ca18 and all the goodies I decided this still wasn't the right platform for me. Although I had fun and I was beginning to develop a passion for Nissan's, the 240sx and small snail attached to the block just wasn't cutting it.

Fast forward a little more and an amazing opportunity came up. A good friend of mine had owned an R32 GTR (that I envied greatly) for the last several years and after having maf problems shortly after ownership, it basically sat in his garage and collected dust. He was ready to let it go and I knew I had to take action. I sold both of my cars and bought the GTR. I owned the ultimate Japanese muscle car and could not believe it.

Now on to the good stuff

The car was a 1990, and came with lots of goodies and an interesting history.

Here's how she looked when I picked her up!

Specs:

R33 motor rebuilt with Rb26dett full gasket kit, R33 oil pump, R33 water pump, cometic metal headgasket etc..
    Low km R33 ceramic turbos
    M'S Power Intake System w/ K&N filters
    Trust front mount intercooler
    Denso 550cc injectors
    Apexi Twin downpipes(flex pipe)
    HKS 4" catback exhaust
    Gutted cat
    Tuned ECU
    Samco radiator hoses
    DOT Approved(3rd brake light, Accord headlights, reflectors, clutch kill etc.)
    6000k HIDs
    Nissan Xterra yellow paint and rust restored
    AWD-RWD transfer switch
    Tein race spec coilovers
    XXR 527 17x9.75 rims with falken tires(225/45/R17) all the way around
    Tinted windows(5%limo tint rear/35% front)
    Rear mud skirts
    30mm spacers
    Hawk ceramic pads with brembo cross drilled rotors (front)
    OEM rear rotors with project mu pads (new)
    HDI boost controller/gauge
    Impul 0-300km gauge cluster
    Nismo Shift knob
    Cd deck
    Rockford punch rear speakers
    12" sub and amp
    Hicas cancel out bar
    Air conditioning removed

More to come..
    Originally posted by nick-nismo
    this guy is killin it!!!

looking foward to more, always see your car in white rock.

Comment

Great episode of tpb, digging the name bro! Colour looks nice, resembles the Subaru WRX Spec R1 yellow that came on the old bugeyes.

Good luck to you sir! May I suggest, your bumper needs vents!
      Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Originally posted by gtrte37 View Post
        looking foward to more, always see your car in white rock.
        Awesome man! Didn't know there was another GTR owner in the area

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
        Great episode of tpb, digging the name bro! Colour looks nice, resembles the Subaru WRX Spec R1 yellow that came on the old bugeyes.

Good luck to you sir! May I suggest, your bumper needs vents!
        Haha thanks! And lots to come don't worry

So upon picking up the car I immediately had to deal with the maf issues. The car was plagued with a number misfortunes from the work of a certain shop and the previous owners but those I could deal with later. My friend had tried everything to fix what had seemed to be the ever so delightful "limp mode". This included re-soldering the mafs, rewiring the mafs, replacing the injectors, ecu, cas, coilpacks, etc. I didn't want any part of this headache so I picked up an HKS VPC.

This allowed me to bypass the mafs and run a map sensor. The car didn't run amazingly well but it was a bandaid until I had the time and money to sort things out properly.

I was happy with the performance at the time, so after the VPC I continued to pursue a cleaning up of the car's aesthetics. First on that list was the front end. I could no longer stand to look at the god-awful Honda Accord headlights. I started to search around for some projectors but the friend who I had purchased the car from had some n1 headlights sitting around that he had planned to swap in and never ended up getting around to.

I headed to another local members place and we began taking things apart.

Old hacked up wiring coming out

Everything cleaned up and rewired

Thanks again Shane!!

New vs old!

I was really happy with how the headlights turned out so I started ordering a few more goodies

Overnight parts from Japan anyone?
        Last edited by Kaiju; 12-18-2013, 02:59 AM.
        this guy is killin it!!!

Comment

So I ended up ordering a Trust 10 row oil cooler, N1 ducts, and a Nismo Veruspeed filter

I also picked up some front and rear strut bars from a friend's shop. They said "Skyline" on them, so being the fanboy I am, I had to have them

After everything went in this is how she looked

I was finally happy with the front end and just in time for Skymeet West!!

this guy is killin it!!!

Comment

those strut bars say skyline cause they are oem bnr32 lol. love the progress!
            1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

nice thread Tim! Loving it, keep it updated yo!
              Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

Since I was happy with the car's aesthetics for now, I decided it was time for more power. The HKS VPC was also beginning to irritate me as it wasn't running perfect and I wanted some smooth top end power. I began my hunt for turbos and a suitable way to tune the car. I decided to keep my costs down for now and went with some R32 Nismo (14411-06U00) turbos. Managed to find a solid deal on gtrc.

Opening this box was like Christmas

For management I decided on Nistune for now.

Didn't want to mess with the current mafs incase there was some hidden issue so I went with an HPX (yes Ford) maf setup. I picked up the maf, pigtail, and flange across the border after a little hassle (thanks mr. suspicious border guard). I also picked up a piece of hks piping from Adam @ Feast to weld the maf onto.

With all the parts finally gathered it was time to conquer the turbos. This would be the biggest job I've done on a skyline so far, so Brent (nimblestix) graciously offered his shop and saturday to help me. I didn't take many photos but after a grueling 14 hours it was done! Thanks again man, truly appreciate the help!

Oem turbos out (somehow managed to do this without taking the manifolds off.. don't ask)

New turbos in!!

Management install and tuning next
                Last edited by Kaiju; 01-06-2014, 10:11 PM.
                this guy is killin it!!!

Comment

I like.

Originally posted by gtrjon View Post
                  those strut bars say skyline cause they are oem bnr32 lol. love the progress!
                  Nope, the middle part is higher on front strut brace, because they are a optional part for GTS models (shown in optional part catalogue from Nissan for GTS models).

R32 GTR had the Nismo strut brace option -

Last edited by Skym; 01-07-2014, 12:31 AM.
                  RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
                  X