Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB26DETT Camshafts and Valve springs

Hello all!

I need some help. I thought I had it all figured out, but apparently not.

I'm currently doing a full engine rebuild/swap and my head is at the machine shop.

For the head I've chosen:
    - HKS Camshafts (step 1 apparently, 256 duration, 9.1 lift according to the stamping)
    - BC Vavle springs and titanium lifters
    - Tomei adjustable cam gears

Everything I read looked good and that this combination should all work together. I got a call from the machine shop today saying that the pressure in the new springs is nearly double the stock ones, and that it might cause problems.

Will the HKS cams be able to handle the increased pressure? Or would the stock springs be able to handle the increased lift?

thanks!
    Last edited by NerdJuice; 09-23-2016, 05:26 PM.
    My Garage:
    1990 Nissan Skyline GTR Nismo Edition - Action Hotdog Go!
    2008 Audi RS4 - Hand Banana
    1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT- Dirty Winter Car
    1988 Toyota Supra Base - Trojan Judas Hairnet Battle Tree.

Perhaps consider Tomei cam studs. I'm not surprised the new springs are stiffer. Your original ones have miles on them.
    The BC springs are likely intended to be used with high profile cams and high rpms hence the significant stiffness.

Comment

Yeah the reason I wanted to upgrade is this motor should spin to nearly 9K RPM. Didn't really need the super high lift.
      My Garage:
      1990 Nissan Skyline GTR Nismo Edition - Action Hotdog Go!
      2008 Audi RS4 - Hand Banana
      1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT- Dirty Winter Car
      1988 Toyota Supra Base - Trojan Judas Hairnet Battle Tree.

Comment

Good springs and mild cams make for a 10,000rpm motor. What spec BC springs are they? What height did the machine shop measure the springs at. I seriously doubt that the installed pressure was double. 50% more maybe. Tired stockers are going to be super weak anyway.

Jon.
        Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Working...
        X