Oil weights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil weights?

Hey, im gunna change my motor oil and tranny oil and i thought i may as well ask what weights i should pick up?

im gunna use royal purple for the motor as thats whats in it now but is there a specific weight i should use for the cold winter months...little thinner that usual im thinkin????

and as for tranny fluid i just noticed that my gearbox feels a bit rough so im gunna change that but what brand and weight would you guys recomend???

chris
    1991 Skyline GTS-T DRIFT BUILD
    1990 Skyline GTR-32 RIP...stupid thief
    1997 Dodge Dakota 4x4
    2004 Honda CBR600RR (SOLD)

Engine:
    I use Mobil1 10w30, always have and always will. Never had any problems with my oil, doesn't burn any, and its still clean when I change it out(clean as clean can be after 3000kms)

Tranny:
    I swear by GM synchromesh tranny fluid, have used it in all 5 of my modified cars. It has either fixed or reduced any tranny grinds that I have had.

Rear Diff:
    I used Redline gear oil with a small GM LSD additive that costs like $10 at GM. No problems so far with my rear diff. 2 years and counting.

I know some people are gonna bad mouth anything made by GM. But I have tried and tested there gear oils in all my cars for over 5 years. And have nothing but good things to say about them.

My $0.02

Comment

so 10w30 wouldnt be any better than like a 5w40 or somthing else for winter time?
      1997 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Comment

Well if you are running your car in the winter then yes 5-40 will be a good choice but try to pick a oil that is a high quality then stated above.if you are going to spend money on your car dont skimp on the life blood.
        here is a link that may turn you on to useing royal purple.
        I know how to test our coils and what to look for. But this issue has me stumped as I dont know what to make of it. Here is what happens: The car starts fine when cold. I warm it up and go for a drive, with NVCS disconnected. The car runs great. However, after it has warmed up, I hear a ticking sound coming from the engine

Comment

I have royal purple in my car right now i love it 100% im only asking about the best weight to use if im driving in winter
          1997 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by bowes View Post
            I have royal purple in my car right now i love it 100% im only asking about the best weight to use if im driving in winter
            5w40 if you can find it would be an ideal winter oil. I'm putting 10w30 as opposed to normally 1540 that I put in in the summer. I couldn't get any 5w40 =[

Comment

hmm ok thanks ill take a look around for some!
              1997 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Comment

Working...
              X