This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTR Fuel Pump Install DIY

I did a search but could only find a DIY how to for the GTS-T, so here are the steps for a GT-R. Sorry no pics. I replaced the stock pump with a Tomei unit. Should be the same procedure for OEM, and Nismo as well.

1. Pull the 15amp ( 6th from the left, top row I believe. Can someone else confirm this?).
    2. Turn the car over to relieve fuel pressure.
    3. Disconect negative from battery.
    4. Pull out carpeting, and spare tire well cover from trunk.
    5. Pull black foam tape from trunk floor on drivers side that holds pump wiring in place.
    6. Take out the 4 screws that hold the cover on.
    7. Pull the cover off and disconnect the two plug connectors.
    8. Undo the hose clamps for the fuel supply and fuel return lines. (They are marked by direction of flow. Also the pressure side has the screw type clamp while the return uses the 3-prong style clamp.)
    9. Pull of the 2 fuel lines and push them aside being carefull not to push them to far to the point where you can't reach them again.
    10. Unscrew the locking ring counter-clockwise. I had to push on it with a flat head screw driver as there isn't alot of room for your hands. Place the locking ring aside.
    11. Carefully pull out the fuel level sending unit. It's a tight fit but it will come out. Set aside.
    12. Reach into the fuel tank and on the driverside of the fuel pump where you can't see there is a plactic tab you have to push to release the pump so it can come out. Pull out the fuel pump.
    13. Undo the two electrical connectors from the fuel sending lid, as well as the fuel line from the top of the pump.
    14. The plastic carrier that the pump is in splits in two by pressing a couple of tabs. Remove the rubber isolator from the bottom of the oem pump and put on new pump.
    15. Place new pump with rubber isolator in the plastic carrier.
    16. Connect the two electrical connectors to the fuel sending lid, and connect the fuel line to the top of the pump.
    17. Use zipties to strap the wiring to the fuel line so it is not dangling in the way.
    18. Place new pump back into tank and make sure it clicks back into place again.
    19. Carefully put fuel level sender back into tank.
    20. Reverse order of disassembly for everything else.

If I missed something feel free to add.
    V8SMOKR

The only additional glitch I ran into doing mine was the fuel level float caught on something and didn't read right.

Make sure the full range of motion of the float is free!

Thanks for the writeup. Stickied.

Dan
    sigpic
    The Beaumont Connection

Comment

here's pics of the tank, pump, and float

and the hole in the trunk is where the cover for the fuel pump used to be.

hope that helps, sorry don't have pics of the housing inside the tank now.

Comment

and also losen the gas cap so it depressizes the tank. so when you undo the lines it dosen't piss gas all over the place (return line)....i forgot and well......you know what happened...

Comment

LOL!

Well I kinda went the hackish root since I was throwing out the tank, I opened the gas tank, removed the lines, then punched 5 holes in the bottom of the tank to drain the rest......

I have pics of the cell that I bought, I'm just waiting for the pump and controller/filter to come in, then I'll install the tank soon.

Comment

Originally posted by V8SMOKR
            I did a search but could only find a DIY how to for the GTS-T, so here are the steps for a GT-R. Sorry no pics. I replaced the stock pump with a Tomei unit. Should be the same procedure for OEM, and Nismo as well.

1. Pull the 15amp ( 6th from the left, top row I believe. Can someone else confirm this?).
            2. Turn the car over to relieve fuel pressure.
            3. Disconect negative from battery.
            4. Pull out carpeting, and spare tire well cover from trunk.
            5. Pull black foam tape from trunk floor on drivers side that holds pump wiring in place.
            6. Take out the 4 screws that hold the cover on.
            7. Pull the cover off and disconnect the two plug connectors.
            8. Undo the hose clamps for the fuel supply and fuel return lines. (They are marked by direction of flow. Also the pressure side has the screw type clamp while the return uses the 3-prong style clamp.)
            9. Pull of the 2 fuel lines and push them aside being carefull not to push them to far to the point where you can't reach them again.
            10. Unscrew the locking ring counter-clockwise. I had to push on it with a flat head screw driver as there isn't alot of room for your hands. Place the locking ring aside.
            11. Carefully pull out the fuel level sending unit. It's a tight fit but it will come out. Set aside.
            12. Reach into the fuel tank and on the driverside of the fuel pump where you can't see there is a plactic tab you have to push to release the pump so it can come out. Pull out the fuel pump.
            13. Undo the two electrical connectors from the fuel sending lid, as well as the fuel line from the top of the pump.
            14. The plastic carrier that the pump is in splits in two by pressing a couple of tabs. Remove the rubber isolator from the bottom of the oem pump and put on new pump.
            15. Place new pump with rubber isolator in the plastic carrier.
            16. Connect the two electrical connectors to the fuel sending lid, and connect the fuel line to the top of the pump.
            17. Use zipties to strap the wiring to the fuel line so it is not dangling in the way.
            18. Place new pump back into tank and make sure it clicks back into place again.
            19. Carefully put fuel level sender back into tank.
            20. Reverse order of disassembly for everything else.

If I missed something feel free to add.
            So i have to change my fuel pump out of my Gts and im switching out the stock pump with a HP Holley pump. I was told to mount the pump outside the fuel tank and run the fuel lines to the pump. I was thinking before that when i pulled everything out of the tank including the old pump that i would just be able to mount this on back in its place in the gase tank. So if u could help me out that would be great.
            cheers

Comment

I was told that mounting the pump higher than the tank burns the pump out early. I know that alot of people mount it higher, but I'm not sure how long they will last. Anyone with their pumps mounted higher have them burn out on them? Longer than 2-3 years?

Comment

i just installed a denso 280lph pump, and was wondering what that metal thing that goes in the middle of the fuel line is? it seems to be pissing out gas.

*dit found out its a regulator, for som reason the car wouldnt run with it attatched.
                Proud owner of the 2nd Skyline and the only GTR on the island!

Boost@14PSI, YellowJacket Coils, Extreme TSC, Full Nismo N1 Bodykit, Greddy Speed Cut Controller, HKS Turbo Timer, 280LPH Denso Fuel Pump, Nismo Slave Cylinder, AMS BOVs, Nismo Clutch Pivot, ACT Xtreme 6 Puck and HDPP, Greddy Panel Filter

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRWK View Post
                  i just installed a denso 280lph pump, and was wondering what that metal thing that goes in the middle of the fuel line is? it seems to be pissing out gas.

*dit found out its a regulator, for som reason the car wouldnt run with it attatched.
                  That thing is a check valve, which prevents fuel to flow back, thus protect the pump. It is not a regulator. So, if you attached the valve backwards, then no fuel would go through, then your car would not start.

Comment

My float/fuel level sensor isn't reading right anymore - I just have to take it out and make sure that it has full motion, correct?

Comment

has anyone done this with a walbro 255? its half the size. was wondering what was used for a spacer?
                      Ryan
                      90 ca powered sil80 (sold )
                      90 r32 gtr (toy)

Comment

Also worth giving the fuel pump direct battery voltage.

Pm me if you would like details

Comment

Originally posted by fwd suck View Post
                          has anyone done this with a walbro 255? its half the size. was wondering what was used for a spacer?
                          The packing foam isn't just for packing ;P I think it's red/pink? You cut it to the size you need and roll it around the pump to snug it into the housing.

Also the housing will need some modifications to clear the pickup/filter.

Originally posted by markdett View Post
                          Also worth giving the fuel pump direct battery voltage.

Pm me if you would like details

Actually post all the details here if you can, this is a sticky afterall.

OH SNAP 1000TH POST
                          Last edited by MarusGTR; 09-24-2012, 09:04 AM.
                          1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Originally posted by BeeGTR View Post
                            I was told that mounting the pump higher than the tank burns the pump out early. I know that alot of people mount it higher, but I'm not sure how long they will last. Anyone with their pumps mounted higher have them burn out on them? Longer than 2-3 years?
                            Fuelpumps use petrol to lube and cool them. If fuelpump is mounted higher and when tank level is lower, fuel starvation. As long as you keep tank above 1/4 or 1/2 on gauge, don't think it would become a problem.

Can buy a DW fuelpump hardwire kit that comes with instructions -

Last edited by Skym; 09-24-2012, 12:15 PM.
                            RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by Marus92 View Post
                              The packing foam isn't just for packing ;P I think it's red/pink? You cut it to the size you need and roll it around the pump to snug it into the housing.

Also the housing will need some modifications to clear the pickup/filter.

Actually post all the details here if you can, this is a sticky afterall.

OH SNAP 1000TH POST

thankyou for the imput. i have already cut and cleared for the filter, i will try the foam. thanks again
                              Ryan
                              90 ca powered sil80 (sold )
                              90 r32 gtr (toy)

Comment

Working...
                              X