Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine removal - final stage questions

hey guys

so my motor is coming out as some may know and im at the final stages of removal.

the only thing keeping it in the bay now is the tranny, half shafts, motor mounts, and drive shaft.

the mounts will be easy enough once im ready to go there but i am concerned about the tranny (will be leaving it in, so i want to unbolt it from the bellhousing) and the half shafts. reason for leaving the trans in is because i have a stone driveway and wil not be able to back the jack up when lifting the motor out - the car was have to slowly be pushed back instead.

ive read a few tips on the half shafts but nothing that agve me much confidence to pull them out sicne i either couldnt understand what they were saying and just didnt find the help useful.

can anyone here lend me some advice on the half shafts? and any tips on getting the upper bolts on tha tranny?

the lower bolts are very easy since they are in plain sight, but the upper ones seem in-accessible. is there a way to get at them?

pictures would be greatly appreciated so i can see what im looking at - especially for the half shaft removal

you won't get the engine in with the trans hanging there.
    or so people say anyways

Comment

Leave the tranny on the engine when you pull it. Wayy easier.
      Drive shaft has 4 nut-bolt's attaching it to the rear diff, and a steady bearing in the middle.

Comment

I left my trans in, no real problems. Lined up resonably quick when we put it back together.

Pull out the front axles (I'm asumming thats what your calling half shafts), they come out easy, just break free the LBJ, and pull the knuckle outwards. Driver side can be removed without draining the front diff, but since you'll want to drain it, go that route and push out the axle.

It's best to get at the top trans bolts by lower the trans mount and working from underneith the car. You can get at them from the top, but it's nasty.
        1998 Stagea AutechVersion 260RS
        1991 GTi-R "Angry White Ghost" - FOR SALE

Comment

left my tranny in when i did the r33 swap donno why some say it cant be done
          WoW

That Sh*t Is

FAST!!!

Comment

thanks guys

ill take some pics asim finishing up - i know the axles will give me problems.

Comment

The front axcels are easy

one of them just unbolts, the other one, get two crowbars on either side and pry up at the lip(becareful of the boot) and it pops off in a second.

Comment

When you remove the trans bolts do the top ones first. Use a 2 1/2 or three foot extension and a 14 flex on a johnson bar. The tops will be harder to break with weight on them if you undo the underside first.

Comment

thanks again boys

how come i keep reading a lot about guys having probelms with removing the front axels saying there a huuuge pain in the ass and it takes them hours to do?

Comment

inexperience?

Comment

Originally posted by Wants_a_GTR View Post
                      inexperience?

i second that notion! exactly right, i had the axles out of my gts4 in 20min a side. well little longer on left side because its bolted in...
                      1989 GTS4....

Comment

when I did mine, the trans was in the car.

the biggest problem I had was with the clutch plates not wanting to line up properly.
                        1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
                        2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
                        2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

the tranny will come out, just not attached to the motor

ill be dropping it afterwards

sicne im on a stone driveway and i need to push the car back as i lift the motor little bits at a time, i dont have the room

Comment

i am so gawd dam frustrated

been out there for 2 hours and odnt have a single thing accomplished today :hit_head:

those stupid axles are killing me, im about ready to have the car towed to a shop to get it done

first things first, i cannot remove the passenger side front wheel due to a snapped lug nut (been working at it for over an hour and its not coming out any time soon)

so as such, i cant get it off correct? since i need to sldie the hub in order to get the axel to slide off the stud?

as such...

Comment

grrr

rookie mistake made - such an easy disassembly

i was so frustrated this morning from trying to get the snapped lug nut off that i overlooked the most obvious thing

Comment

Working...
                              X