Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sputter. Spark Gap?

hey,
    I just was pulling the plugs and checkin the gaps etc. looking the engine over and when i put the coils back on and the plugs all back in gapped at 1.1 the car sputtered like a bag of @@#$. This was the gap it says to use in the manual, is it wrong. Im using NGK iridium plugs. It ran damn good before i took the plugs out. I had the igniter pack unhooked for about a hr would this put the computer into any safe mode??

check the connections on the harness if you removed or unplugged anything
    you might want to go to .8 for your gap,ive read on the forums here from members regapping their plugs and it has corrected the problem
    understeer -is when you go off the road and see the tree that kills you
    oversteer-is when you go off the road backwards and dont see the tree that kills you

Comment

sounds good, i will pull it apart tomorrow after school. regap to .8 instead of 1.1

Comment

1.1 is the stock gap?? .8 is for higher boost levels is what ive read, im just wondering would the difference in plug gap affect through the whole RPM, it is rough from idle up.

Comment

dont gap 1.1

Comment

0.8 gap ftw.

1.1 might work on stock boost, and brand new coils/plugs/etc, but in the real world, and 15 year old parts, it doesn't work so great.
            1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
            2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
            2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

The engine is all new, The coils are about 2000 km old, but I guess the wire harness is original.

Comment

While you have it apart, I'd reset the ECU (leave the key on, disconnect the battery for 10 mins while you're working on it, turn the key off and then reconnect)

Probably doesn't do anything but I do it anyways for peace of mind, it seems like it helps sometimes.

Also check all the connectors and grounds to make sure they are in good condition.
                1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag

Comment

I regapped everything, ran good then started to run crappy again, I brought it back to the parking spot and went under the hood and wiggled wires around where i was working.

I had the 3 bolts that hold the the wire harness above the injectors out and moved that harness out of the way in order to re-tighten all the valve cover screws.

I was working my way down the injector connections and i dont remember which one but one of them the engine started to run smooth. musta been a bad connection there.. hoping there isnt no broken wires in the harness. Has any one replaced this harness before? about how much are they? After this it ran good again.

Another thing is how accurate is the loop at the back of the coil harness for timing? which way it towards the spark plug for the light clamp?

Comment

I just put a plug wire on the number 1 coil, then put the timing gun on that.

Comment

I was looking under the parts list thread, http://www.skylinegts.co.uk/Skyline_Parts.htm
                      and it says for the NGK iridium plugs that they should be gapped at 1.1? im just wondering what is the benefit of having the larger plug gap compaired to the .8 gap which im at now. And im pretty sure my sputtering was because of a loose injector wire from moving the harness out of my way.

Comment

there is no benefit of having a gap of 1.1 farther for the spark to travel
                        understeer -is when you go off the road and see the tree that kills you
                        oversteer-is when you go off the road backwards and dont see the tree that kills you

Comment

ok i also was told today that the bigger gap.. the boost can blow the spark out causing a miss.

Anyways my car is dead on 20BTDC, used a plug wire between coil and #1 plug. pulled the plugs out again and seen that they are NGK PFR6A

Should these be replaced with NGK PFR7A's??? can I get some opinions on this, these were put in with the car stock, now it should be at least 400hp without the engine manegment and stock MAFs so should the plug be made 1 range colder?
                          The car has only been driven short distances so far and for the long weekend I plan on going to Victoria to visit some good friends, I want to make sure they car is good before the longer distance.

Comment

Working...
                          X