Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injector questions! Dumb one, but I'm still askin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injector questions! Dumb one, but I'm still askin!

Ok so I just picked up a set of 600cc injectors, and they're just sittin in my toolbox getting dusty. Can I run these with my stock ecu? I've got a PFC on the "things to buy" list, but I'm not in a position to buy right yet, and just wondered if I can get some use out of these now...
    jonesy

Originally posted by GT-R rated
    i should also mention. there's not really much you should cheap out on with a GTR. I bought my car knowing that i would never own it, because it will always own me.

Not unless you get a rom tune

Comment

Thanks McFly... That was kinda what I figured, but checking first is cheaper lol...
      jonesy

i should also mention. there's not really much you should cheap out on with a GTR. I bought my car knowing that i would never own it, because it will always own me.

Comment

Nistune for stock ECU should be cheaper than PowerFC L Jetro and do the same job. Can change the tune (ignition, fuel), turn boost up, fit bigger injectors, bigger MAF's, etc anytime you want with Nistune via plugging laptop up to consult plug that's located under dash on drivers side.

Stock ECU is good for around 650ps on a Group-A R32GTR -

(Thanks goes to Mcfly for the videoclip).
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Now that's awesome... Thanks Skym!! I'm sure I've heard of the NISTune before, but didn't do any research on it until now. Are there any down sides to the Nistune or things the PFC will do that it won't? I already have an AVC-r so boost control isn't the biggest concern for me as far as ECU functions go...
          jonesy

Comment

The more expensive Tomei Reytec (modified stock ECU) is similar to Nistune, but has a MAP sensor instead of MAF's. Probably could fit a Reytec MAP sensor on a Nistune modified ECU to run MAP. Stock GTR has a IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor, so all it needs is the MAP sensor.

Stock ECU has 16 load x 16 rpm maps. PowerFC has 20 load x 20 rpm maps. This helps if your raising rev limit, although you just rescale the load, rpm points so they are wider apart. For example, if they are set at every 400rpm, can rescale map so they are every 500rpm. More points of adjustment helps to fine tune the power curve.

Stock ECU has knock control maps and monitors knock levels via onboard knock board. PowerFC can monitor knock but doesn't do anything about it.

PowerFC can adjust injectors individually to cc rating of each injector when resizing injectors. With stock GTS ECU, have to adjust to lowest flowing injector. But I think stock R32GTR, Z32 ECU have the capability to adjust injectors individually.

Also PowerFC has a hand controller for making adjustments, but you can't access some of the maps via handcontroller. Tuning software, etc is needed to access the maps.

Stock ECU has heaps of features to adjust. Some features I've never seen in aftermarket ECU tuning software. There are some safety features (to protect engine from failure) that PowerFC doesn't have. Also stock ECU tuning software has autotune A/F ratio, etc that helps with getting A/F ratio tune close to perfect before running on dyno, where you can fine tune.

Also stock ECU has error codes, so stock ECU informs you what sensor has failed and has gauge option in tuning software to see sensor voltages in realtime like watertemp, MAF, etc. Also can see injector duty, battery voltage, etc on gauges in realtime and datalog them + A/F ratio, etc. PowerFC has a monitor sensor option that sees the sensor voltages and marks which sensor voltage is out of spec and I think can can datalog sensor voltages, etc.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Well I'm gonna have to do a little more research, but I think you've given me a very viable option here Skym... Thanks a ton!!
              jonesy

Comment

Another difference is stock BNR32 ECU is 8bit and PowerFC is 16bit, so PowerFC is quicker processing wise for higher hp applications (800hp+), where everything happens alot quicker inside engine. But code for 8bit stock ECU is written in a lite form, so 8bit stock ECU can processes the code faster than what happens inside engine, so can control a stock RB26 or modified RB26 with a decent amount of hp, like 650hp. Nismo nowdays fit the stock R33GTR ECU to R32GTR, as it's 16bit (faster). I assume that's what they are running in the Group-A racecar in link above (when they restored the Group-A R33 GTR, they swapped stock R32 GTR ECU to stock R33 GTR ECU). From what I understand Nistune is currently being developed for R33 ECU, so it's an option to upgrade to R33 GTR ECU later on.

Factory ran external datalogging devices and set racecar up before races, so stock 8bit BNR32 ECU didn't need to do these tasks back in the Group-A days. Same thing with PowerFC, hence why it doesn't have onboard datalogging.

Most aftermarket ECU's have faster processors (32bit), so they can run multiple features at the same time like on board datalogging (can run additional sensors to datalog wheelspeed, etc), engine features like fuel, ignition, etc. More for competition use, where you need those datalogging features that can help to adjust settings which can drop lap times or 1/4 mile times.

It's a matter of finding out the application (street car, racecar, dragcar) and selecting the ECU that suits that application. For streetcar, trackday car, factory ECU does the job.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Originally posted by Skym
                  For streetcar, trackday car, factory ECU does the job.
                  And that's me right there... 600hp is about the max I'm looking for anyways...
                  jonesy

Comment

for simplicity sake I would still get a PFC. That is of course if you can do without the fancy new features in more modern standalones.

Now a days it is very nice to tune via laptop rather then a hand controller. If you do end up getting the datalogit for the PFC you end up spending the same as new ECU's with far more features. Certainly explore you options.

Most importantly pick and ECU that you can get tuned relatively locally.

Comment

That's what I like about Nistune for stock ECU, it's cheap. The stock ECU was designed to work with the RB engine and you already have a good base map on stock ECU (done on engine dyno, etc at factory for your cars engine) to work from.

You don't have to create a map from scratch (cost's $$$ on dyno) that's based off a generic base map (one map suits all cars) to suit your cars engine. With Nistune you use the maps your car is running from factory and tweek maps where the maps need to be tweeked for the new mods.

Mines use a 16bit stock ECU in their demo car and that demo car runs 57sec around Tsukuba in full street trim -

Here's a R33GTR in Australia with Nistune on a dyno -

final runs before tuning was completed end result was 260 rwkw with hks 2530"s full exhaust and 16psi and a tune with our softwarecheers

Motec would be my choice if I didn't use a stock ECU, due to more rpm points for smother power curve, additional sensor options, datalogging, etc.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Great thread, nice work laying it out Skym. and McFly nice profile pic, 2 wheels off the ground... SICK

Comment

Modified R32GTR + Nistune = 341rwkw -

TUNED WITH NISTUNE FULLY BUILT ENGINE GARRET -5S AND 18PSI ON AN EXTREMLY CONSERAVITIVE TUNE, 341RWKW
                          RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
                          X