Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the colour of the PCB on the back of the cluster make a difference????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the colour of the PCB on the back of the cluster make a difference????

As I have been working through my speedo issues I noticed that the printed circuit board (PCB) on the back of the 2 clusters I have are different. The original is green and works properly. The cluster with the MiNE'S 320 km/h speedo in it is blue. I've also done some searching on the forum and ebay and found that there are also white/yellow ones. As far as I can tell there is no difference between the blue and green other than the colour...but one has an accurate speedo and the other doesn't.

Any info would be great!

-Kenji
    1989 Honda Civic DX - Sold
    1987 Mazda RX-7 GX - Sold
    1990 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II - In pieces...
    1993 Nissan Skyline GTR - Passing you!

i've never heard of a green backed cluster

but i know for a fact that the beige ones come on zenki skylines (up to august 91) and blue and kouki skylines (august 91 and on)
    and the printed circuit on both cluster absolutely don't work in the other version

the only feature that will keep working is the speedo, because its driven mechanically, while all the other gauges are electric,
    because of the different circuit, when you swap a beige cluster for a blue one, not a singlee gauge will work, and all the lights will be on

you can read how i fixed that problem here;
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gt-r-pro...tml#post337361

i could take it out today to post updated pics (the interior of my car completely undone anyways, 3 minutes and the cluster is off))
    Last edited by frankiman; 08-01-2010, 11:56 AM.
    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

That would be awsome. I'm going to remove my cluster again tonight and take some picks of the speedo out of the cluster. I should have done that last night. Its possible that the "green" I'm seeing is just a faded blue.

Also, worth noting...after the shop originally installled the MiNE'S cluster, the ABS and 4WD lights were flashing. They looked at my old cluster and found that there were no bulbs in those slots. It appears that the ABS unit has been completely removed, but why would the 4WD light be missing. I have look more closely and found that the HICAS bulb is also missing. This makes me wonder if there are some more serious problems going on here? I haven't done any reading yet so I don't know what the HICAS is (I know NOOB!), but I can't think of any reason why the 4WD light wouldn't be there. I've heard that some people modify their GTR's to run RWD only. How would I go about checking if that has benn done to my car?

I would be interested to see what modifications were made to your speedo to get it to work.

Thanks for all the help!

-Kenji
      1989 Honda Civic DX - Sold
      1987 Mazda RX-7 GX - Sold
      1990 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II - In pieces...
      1993 Nissan Skyline GTR - Passing you!

Comment

Originally posted by halfjap1980 View Post
        That would be awsome. I'm going to remove my cluster again tonight and take some picks of the speedo out of the cluster. I should have done that last night. Its possible that the "green" I'm seeing is just a faded blue.

Also, worth noting...after the shop originally installled the MiNE'S cluster, the ABS and 4WD lights were flashing. They looked at my old cluster and found that there were no bulbs in those slots. It appears that the ABS unit has been completely removed, but why would the 4WD light be missing. I have look more closely and found that the HICAS bulb is also missing. This makes me wonder if there are some more serious problems going on here? I haven't done any reading yet so I don't know what the HICAS is (I know NOOB!), but I can't think of any reason why the 4WD light wouldn't be there. I've heard that some people modify their GTR's to run RWD only. How would I go about checking if that has benn done to my car?

I would be interested to see what modifications were made to your speedo to get it to work.

Thanks for all the help!

-Kenji
        Super-HICAS is an electronically assisted system that makes the rear wheels turn within 1 or 2 degrees maximum. Yes, you read that right, all wheel steering. People disable HICAS because of its false sense of security (its supposed to give cornering a lighter, peppier feel) and it's known for having critical failures during hard driving, which makes it kind of a PITA to deal with. That and it's heavy, like everything else in the GTR, so removing it is a good idea for track use.

AWD to RWD mode is enabled (on R32s only) by pulling out fuses that close the AWD circuit. Obviously, the complete removal of the system makes the car lighter too.

Try a good old brakestand in your driveway to check AWD. Rear gets loose; RWD. Or just go in some lot at haul hard to one direction with the gas floored, you'll find out pretty quick.
        1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

ya they turn greenish some times its the right one but if im wrong when you start it the all wheel drive light will be on and tach wont work.. ive done it before so giver a go

Comment

Working...
          X