a little help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a little help please

Replaced engine, clutch and flywheel. Runs fine but doesn't always want to shift easy, sometimes it won't go into first?? Bent pressure plate fingers? not quite aligned?? It shifts easier with the car off as well? really don't want to take the damn tranny off||

Thanks,
    NBSKYLINE

1990 Skyline GTS --- SOLD
    1992 Skyline GTR Lawn Ornament
    2004 Toyota Matrix XRS --Grocery getter
    1998 Mazda B2500 -- for sale
    2000 Honda Accord- Fully loaded winter beater

Does it grind at all or your just having trouble to find the 1st gear track? If its the latter, check your shifter bushings.

Wild guess though, I never took out my GTR's shifter off but my Sentra's bushings are eaten to the metal and it's sadly gonna stay that way because I shifted my attention to the GTR. I'm just throwing this because I have some misalignment with the Sentra in second and third, depending on the weather. Also, like you, I have no problem with the engine off (also a byproduct of having my engine mounts that are shot *sigh*).
    1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

i just read that it could possibly be the clutch disk in backwards? i think the shifter bushing is alright. it was before the engine, clutch change and I haven't driven the car out of my driveway yet? No grind, just won't go in to first most of the time? the other gears will go but not super smooth.

Comment

If the trans engages other synchros then its not your clutch, its simply your 1st gear synchro.. What oil did you use? Heavy duty shock proof by redline will give the illusion of mashed synchros, only because it hasnt reached its operating temperature until well into a drive (15 min on avg).

1. You cant put your clutch disc in backwards - at least from all the clutches i've seen, its physically impossible.
        2. Can you get it into first if you double clutch? Clutch once, then clutch again right after then put into gear?
        Had an issue with 1st gear synchros on our 71 911s, had to double clutch the tits out of it at a light or stop to engage first; second went shortly after.
        3. if the flywheel was misaligned, or the pressure plate warped from torquing it incorrectly, you'd have a much larger issue.. 1, you'd have a lot of slippage on accel because the whole of the surface area of both the disk and flywheel would be greatly off. 2 you'd smell it.

Let the car get to operating temp, then attempt. If it's still the case, then 1st gear synchro may very well need a replacement.
        Last edited by nelsonmxmarc; 09-01-2010, 11:41 PM.
        Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
        www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
        Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
        Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

Ok, retried and it seems hard in every gear!! Work excellent before engine/clutch/flywheel replacement. Misalignment?? I didn't remove the tranny when I replaced the engine. The clutch is a Exedy hyper single plate, used but in good shape. I am thinking missaligned/not tourqued right??

Continue the help please....thanks

Comment

What kind of clutch is it? You have to use a different throw-out bearing with OS Giken clutches.
            You can also adjust your clutch pedal. If you aren't completely releasing the clutch you might have problems like that.
            Good luck!

Comment

it is a Exedy single plate. If I am not completely releasing the clutch, will the car move in neutral??

Thanks

Comment

shot engine/tranny mounts ?
                sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

I will check those as well. The motor mounts looked good when I put the motor in?

Comment

Working...
                  X