2860r-5 Turbo Shuffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2860r-5 Turbo Shuffle

I know there is information on this on the board, but nothing seems to fit, so I'm looking for suggestions. Ever since I put the 2860r-5s in I've had what I think is turbo shuffle - 4th gear, 2500-3000 rpm, slight load going up hill - ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ...

So I bought a Greddy twin entry FMIC thinking it would solve the problem, replaced the piping from the turbos to the FMIC (nice!) and what happens on the first ride? ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ...

So here's the list:
    Tomei expreme manifolds and dumps, HKS mushroom intake system, separate pipes going from each turbo to the FMIC inlets, new HKS BoV, HKS boost controller with the pressure sensor t'd and bunged into the turbo outlet pipes.

Tomorrow we're going to try connecting the wastegate pressure line directly to the bungs in the turbo outlet pipes - one to each.

Other ideas?

weld the wastegates shut and go BOV/boost controllerless, that will make some serious power. As for shuffle, it's twins, you can't beat it, I have the same deal, I learned to live with it by going full boost, all the time.
    Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
    Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
    Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
    Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
    White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
    lol

Comment

Dooo it
      Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
        weld the wastegates shut and go BOV/boost controllerless, that will make some serious power. As for shuffle, it's twins, you can't beat it, I have the same deal, I learned to live with it by going full boost, all the time.
        I like that, unfortunately I think the power would break my stock conn rod bolts. Perhaps I have to live with it until I rebuild the bottom end..

Comment

Originally posted by DougTaylor View Post
          I like that, unfortunately I think the power would break my stock conn rod bolts. Perhaps I have to live with it until I rebuild the bottom end..
          say what? you're running -5s on stock bottom end? you must be so powerless lol. My stock GTR was faster than my -5 powered GTR with stock internals haha
          Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

I am just wondering if it is possible to be your BOVs cause your compressors to stall.

I know there is information on this on the board, but nothing seems to fit, so I'm looking for suggestions. Ever since I put the 2860r-5s in I've had what I think is turbo shuffle - 4th gear, 2500-3000 rpm, slight load going up hill - ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ...

So I bought a Greddy twin entry FMIC thinking it would solve the problem, replaced the piping from the turbos to the FMIC (nice!) and what happens on the first ride? ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ...

So here's the list:
            Tomei expreme manifolds and dumps, HKS mushroom intake system, separate pipes going from each turbo to the FMIC inlets, new HKS BoV, HKS boost controller with the pressure sensor t'd and bunged into the turbo outlet pipes.

Tomorrow we're going to try connecting the wastegate pressure line directly to the bungs in the turbo outlet pipes - one to each.

Other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by xcye View Post
              I am just wondering if it is possible to be your BOVs cause your compressors to stall.
              Hi Charlie, we did disconnect the BoV and it doesn't change the behaviour. We put it on the Dyno today and vacuum tested the BoV and wastegate lines and everything is good and the wastegates activate at the same time and when it is shuffling the BoV remains closed as far as I know. Everything I have read indicates it is the backpressure from the FMIC causing the compressor stall on the turbo with the lower exhaust pressure. Changing to a dual inlet improved the situation a little, but it's still there.

Comment

HKS Manifold

From what I can find, this is the best way to solve the problem (aside from welding everything shut and running full on all the time):

If anyone has something like this in the corner in their garage, please let me know!

Comment

Uh no, the best solution is single turbo, then it's twin entry intercooler and upgraded divided pipe. hks manifolds? no where as good for solving as the previously noted. TWINS SHUFFLE. you're head isn't beefy enough maybe, you're running big boy turbos on stock engine/head?
                  Last edited by NismoS-tune; 11-03-2010, 01:32 AM.
                  Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

say what? you're running -5s on stock bottom end? you must be so powerless lol. My stock GTR was faster than my -5 powered GTR with stock internals haha
                    lol - 500 bhp @ 14 psi.. Much faster than stock, but probably not faster than yours :-)
                    Last edited by DougTaylor; 11-03-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Uh no, the best solution is single turbo, then it's twin entry intercooler and upgraded divided pipe. hks manifolds? no where as good for solving as the previously noted. TWINS SHUFFLE. you're head isn't beefy enough maybe, you're running big boy turbos on stock engine/head?
                      Yes, of course you are right about the single turbo, but I decided not to go that route .... yet ..... I do have a twin entry and I don't have an upgraded divided pipe - like I said - separate pipes all the way to the intercooler..

Comment

lol - 500 bhp @ 14 psi.. Much faster than stock, but probably not faster than yours :-)
                        http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/c/2/...dyno-0.jpg?r=t
                        yo dude... your graph only shows 430 hp.... not 500 BHP! theres a huge difference.... orrrr did u post the wrong graph?
                        The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/c/2/...dyno-0.jpg?r=t
                          what!?!? 500hp at 14psi? that's nuckin futs, must be on race gas and stoic? I had 302whp on an uber rich tuner with -5s at 1 bar...
                          Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Originally posted by archaeic_bloke View Post
                            yo dude... your graph only shows 430 hp.... not 500 BHP! theres a huge difference.... orrrr did u post the wrong graph?
                            430hp at the wheels=500bhp? :S I thinks that's what he meant maybe?
                            Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

NismoS-tune: At 1 bar my car made 430whp on a mustang dyno with -5 turbos, 302whp? Your timing must of had like 2 degrees of advance, hehe. The first dyno run we did to make power yielded 280whp then we increased timing 1 degree and the power went to 320whp, another degree I made 360whp. Every degree we added made 40whp at the beginning then on the last degree the tuner added I made 8whp and he said it was a good place to stop and start playing with boost. 302whp is really really low, that was an uber safe tune. You can also make like 20-40whp just with playing with AFR's.
                              Last edited by mitch32; 11-04-2010, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X